• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Martin Mere, Mere Sands and around the area (1 Viewer)

Well 27 was a great reserve record but 32 is just fantastic! I wonder what number we might see as the final record over this winter.

Cannot believe that no one has posted on here in such a long time, myself included, considering the wealth of wildlife around the area at the moment, been a couple of times for the SEOs around Rufford and i have to say that these are the best views i have had of this enigmatic owl.
A big influx from the continent has resulted in numerous sightings around the county , the same goes for a possible three Bitterns at Mere Sands Wood and a couple of reports of flyovers at Martin Mere , i will gladly put my meagre efforts on show but there have been some guys around with lenses the size of Hubble that must have got some superb pics, they cannot all be professional photo journalists ;) come on show em off

Frank
More here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sleipnerofasgard/

Attachments

• Bittern.jpg
    Bittern.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 108
  • Short Eared Owl.jpg
    Short Eared Owl.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 110
@XsCode: I got a glimpse of one, and perhaps a second from the Rufford Hide. I think others have reported seeing them at that end of the lake as well.

Mildly jealous of Frank and the SEOs, here! I've been around Rufford a few times recently and not spotted a single one :(

Managed to get out and about sunday, The Spoonbill at Martin Mere had already flown the coop by sunday, but still three Green Sandpipers knocking around Raines and Hale hides, not going to dwell to long with reports as they have their own sightings on the website, but Andy at the Infocus shop tipped me of about the Yellow Wagtail on Curlew lane, so i spent a happy couple of hours there watching flocks of Corn Buntings, Linnets, Goldfinch and Skylarks aplenty.
The Yellow Wag turned up almost immediateley and showed well, even having a bath in a puddle and feeding along the edge of the path, Grey and Pied knocking about too, even spotted my first ever Emperor around the muddy edges before heading off to Mere Sands, alas the Hobbies have been flushed by a persistent Sprawk and not been seen for three days, got my first grainy pic of a female Blackcap hidden by undergrowth:-C but after a couple of hours the Kingfisher duly arrived after a couple of nearly but not quites it performed well although the light was bad it was flying off the perch and hovering just in front of me but couldn't quite get the manual focus onto it ,oh well, next time

Frank

Ace report, cracking pics. :t:

I know it's highly unlikely and this applies to other places as well as Mere Sands but what would happen if the Bitterns nested there? Would all photographers be banned from taking pics in case they disturb the birds?

but what would happen if the Bitterns nested there? Would all photographers be banned from taking pics in case they disturb the birds?

Wow Johnny, what a sweeping statement that is - why is it you want to ban photographers? What disturbance are they causing when they're in a hide?? How are photographers causing more disturbance than anyone else???

I can only assume you're making reference to the sound of camera shutters going off, if so, on the two occasions I was in there recently the noise of the shutters was drowned out by people rabbiting at inappropriate volumes for a bird hide, also by mobile phones not only going off but also being answered & the hide occupants being treated to listening to one half of a conversation.
Those that were making the noise when I visited didn't seem to have cameras - so how are you going to ban them?

Having said all of that, despite the camera shutters, loud chit chat, mobile ring tones et al - one of the Bitterns at least didn't seem too bothered & ventured very close to the hide - see attached.

Cliff

Attachments

• bittern_290212i.jpg
    bittern_290212i.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 87
  • bittern_290212b.jpg
    bittern_290212b.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 87
  • bittern_290212e.jpg
    bittern_290212e.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 62
  • bittern_290212m.jpg
    bittern_290212m.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 82
  • bittern_290212g.jpg
    bittern_290212g.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 93
Wow Johnny, what a sweeping statement that is - why is it you want to ban photographers? What disturbance are they causing when they're in a hide?? How are photographers causing more disturbance than anyone else???

I can only assume you're making reference to the sound of camera shutters going off, if so, on the two occasions I was in there recently the noise of the shutters was drowned out by people rabbiting at inappropriate volumes for a bird hide, also by mobile phones not only going off but also being answered & the hide occupants being treated to listening to one half of a conversation.
Those that were making the noise when I visited didn't seem to have cameras - so how are you going to ban them?

Having said all of that, despite the camera shutters, loud chit chat, mobile ring tones et al - one of the Bitterns at least didn't seem too bothered & ventured very close to the hide - see attached.

Cliff

Dear Wyre Wader, I would first like to say what excellent photographs.
May I point out that nowhere in my post did I say "I would like to ban photographers personally" what I did say was "would they" meaning whoever is in charge of the reserve.
The question was hypothetical, I tried to keep the post short and to the point but I will ellaborate more - I singled out photographers because if bitterns or any other rare bird nested close to a hide it would be they who are breaking the law by photographing a bird at the nest! I was not referring to the complaints about photographers hogging the hide or making excessive noise as I know both birders and some photographers were guilty of this (according to various posts on facebook sites)
I think because of the recent bad press (facebook etc) photographers have been getting (I'm referring to the short eared owls at Rufford where photographers were seen leaving the public footpaths and going onto fields as well as the complaints about Mere Sands) you have jumped to the conclusion that I am slating photographers which I am not.
Finally I would like to say that as well as being a birder (a good one I hope) I am also a photographer though looking at your photos nowhere near as good as you. I hope this post clears things up a bit.

I think because of ..................................... you have jumped to the conclusion that I am slating photographers which I am not

Indeed I did - & with both feet Johnny, you touched a nerve I think.

I hope this post clears things up a bit.

It certainly does.

I'm not a facebook user - (I've not got the face for it) - so wasn't aware of the ongoing discussion. Photographers do tend to get the finger pointed at them from time to time, sometimes quite justly, but I think often not so.

Anyhow Johnny - thanks for the response, & for the kind words about my photos :t:.

Cliff

Cliff, those are excellent photos. I'm jealous as...:) If I give you two mints will you teach me.

I didn't read it as Jonny wanting to ban photographers. Good to see it resolves amicably.

Flock of several hundred golden plover at Marshside today from Nels hide and large numbers of black-tailed godwits. Goldcrests reported but not seen near Sandgrounders, also 20+ avocets seen from Sandgrounders along with 2 little egret.

Last edited:
Had a nice day on Martin Mere today. Species seen include Avocet, Blackcap, Marsh Harrier, Ringed Plover and Lapwing. Also got a brief view of a Stoat that came into the Kingfisher Hide to try raid the bin.

Something I couldn't identify was in the field opposite the entrance, It was about the size of a female pheasant with similar body colouring but with the eye combs of a Red Grouse and the red outer feathers of a Red Partridge. I asked in Infocus, but the guy had no idea. Any ideas?

P.S. not looked at the pictures I took yet, but will post anything half decent when I get time.

Good weekend around the area though not weatherwise , adding 7 ticks to my year list including my first Swift and Reed Warbler on the reed bed walk at MMWT , then a Wood Warbler in the collection area and Red Crested Pochard and White Wagtail from the Harrier Hide the RC Pochard was still there today but if you are thinking of going for the Wood Warbler the tomorrow might be a better bet two Med Gulls at Ron Barker.
Spent the morning at Seaforth where i had Common and Sandwich Terns and Little Gulls before getting similar at Pennington along with 11 Bullfinch before a miserable end to the day at a very wet and cold MMWT.

frank

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sleipnerofasgard/

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back