• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mars occultation by the Moon (1 Viewer)

Binastro

At around 4.50 a.m. UT (GMT) on December 8 in the U.K. there is an occultation of bright Mars by the Moon.

Binoculars should be ideal to view this.

Times vary.

I am not sure of U.S. times, but this event is widely visible.
Check local times.

Mars reappears about an hour later in the U.K.

Regards,
B.

P.S.
Apparently, most of the U.S. will see this tonight December 7 except the southeast part of the U.S.

Last edited:
Nice view from here. Separation now increasing. About an hour ago they were quite close and beautiful in a scope around 60x. Could hardly notice any color in Mars, the Moon was so much brighter.

Last edited:
I've been hoping the weather clears out - for a fortnight before Tuesday night we had constant cloud in my bit of England! I didn't think I'd see the opposition period at all. Thankfully the last few night have been really clear with decent seeing, hardly any boiling on mars last night at 188x in the 8" dob. Bit bright with the moon for the slc 8x56's to do there deep sky trick - I tend to use them in tandem with the dob, find something fuzzy and interesting with the slc's and see what it is with the dob.

Will

Cloudless all night and today.

I just used 8x32BA and Swift HR/5 8.5x44 binoculars.

Also Canon SX730 and G16 cameras.

It was minus 2C or 28F ~1010hPa.
A lot of frost on cars and roof.
A fox was walking along the road.

Mars was at opposition and the Moon was full.

Beautiful sunny day now about 2C.

Regards,
B.

Cloudless all night and today.

I just used 8x32BA and Swift HR/5 8.5x44 binoculars.

Also Canon SX730 and G16 cameras.

It was minus 2C or 28F ~1010hPa.
A lot of frost on cars and roof.
A fox was walking along the road.

Mars was at opposition and the Moon was full.

Beautiful sunny day now about 2C.

Regards,
B.
Love to see any photos you have, I was tucked up in bed and woke up to see it the other side of Luna on my way to work, still close by around 7am. More tonight.

The clouds parted to reveal Mars just off the Moon's disk here. I missed the occultation/grazing but the view was still beautiful in my 10x56. Mars was so close it was invisible to the naked eye but the binoculars showed it.

Got me thinking - is it a good idea to stare at the Moon in 56mm binoculars? I'm thinking maybe not....I could still see the burning afterglow on my retina for a long time afterwards. Probably best to stick to 42mm or less on a full moon....it's like an "ice cream headache" for your eyes

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back