• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marrakesh and Atlas Mountains (1 Viewer)

Steve.Jonesy

Hi at the beginning of April I’m heading to Marrakesh for 3 nights then trekking in the Atlas Mountains for 3 nights. Will be based in Ouirgane.
Any advice on where to go and what birds to look out for?
Never been to Morocco before so even their common birds that we in the UK don’t get will be of interest!
Many thanks
Steve

The standard place that birders head for in the High Atlas is Oukaimaden (I have not checked the spelling) which is a small ski resort about a three hour drive from Marrakech.
The key species there is Crimson-winged Finch but there are also Alpine Accentors, Rock Sparrows, Shorelarks (a potential split as Atlas Horned Lark) and both species of Chough. On the way up there are Levaillant's Woodpeckers in the woods.
You may well come across all of these while trekking, along with Seebohm's Wheatear which is now split from 'ordinary' Wheatear.

These were not really birding trips but locations visited on these two short Morocco trips and what we saw might be useful.

Attachments

• week in marrakesh.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • Week in Agadir dec18.pdf
    613.8 KB · Views: 10
The standard place that birders head for in the High Atlas is Oukaimaden (I have not checked the spelling) which is a small ski resort about a three hour drive from Marrakech.
The key species there is Crimson-winged Finch but there are also Alpine Accentors, Rock Sparrows, Shorelarks (a potential split as Atlas Horned Lark) and both species of Chough. On the way up there are Levaillant's Woodpeckers in the woods.
You may well come across all of these while trekking, along with Seebohm's Wheatear which is now split from 'ordinary' Wheatear.
Thank you very much
I will try and build a visit their into our plans👍

Thank you so much this is just what I needed. Finding birding books on the area hard to come by
A few points -
It is actually not easy to get from Ouirgane to Oukaimeden, oddly although further away it is simpler from Marrakech due to the access roads up the mountains. I have not heard about the snow state this year but most birds hang around the melt edge and this will rise as spring progresses. The CW finches do come down, especially to the nut vendors in the market area. Atlas Wheatear only arrives at the end of March.
Imlil is a good area, especially just above the village itself. Both species of chough are possible, but you will be too early for the White-rumped Swifts that breed above the village. Levaillants Woodpecker are relatively common here, and Red-necked Nightjar are in the orchards below the village.
Ouirgane is on the road that goes up to the Tiz-n'Test - the col over the High Atlas mountains and is a good way to access the mountains. Maghreb Owls are resident in the valley (split from Tawny). Tristram's warblers should also be arriving on territory, however they seem to prefer the south facing slopes of the other side of the mountains
Marrakech shouldn't be ignored. Parks & Menara gardens have Common Bulbul, Maghreb Magpie, Laughing Doves and African Blue tit and Little Swift join Pallid & Common Swifts anywhere over the city. Barbary Partridge can sometimes be found here. Moussier's Redstart will winter all the way to the city, but will probably have left to head higher (look for them on your trek).

No mention of Raptures by anyone but presumably they can be seen in the hills?
Nice typo 😁

A good mix is possible. Booted, Bonelii's, Long-legged Buzzard & Black Kite are probably the most frequent.

There are Bearded Vultures in the Toubkhal massif, but v low numbers.Dont expect to see any other Vultures. Golden Eagle are also present but scarce. The pine forest have Goshawk & Sparrowhawk.

Been to Oukaimeden today. Snow is down to about 2000m and the most extensive I have ever seen at this time of year (more typical of Jan). As a result birds were difficult and alot of skiers (disturbance).

CWF were around but flighty. We had singing Dipper, Water Pipit, and Alpine Accentor but no Shore Lark.

No idea how long the snow will last, but it could make trekking interesting.

Been to Oukaimeden today. Snow is down to about 2000m and the most extensive I have ever seen at this time of year (more typical of Jan). As a result birds were difficult and alot of skiers (disturbance).

CWF were around but flighty. We had singing Dipper, Water Pipit, and Alpine Accentor but no Shore Lark.

No idea how long the snow will last, but it could make trekking interesting.
Thanks for update
3 days to go for us before we leave. Have booked a trek from Imill but not until 4th Apr so hopefully things will improve
Enjoy the rest of your trip

Hi at the beginning of April I’m heading to Marrakesh for 3 nights then trekking in the Atlas Mountains for 3 nights. Will be based in Ouirgane.
Any advice on where to go and what birds to look out for?
Never been to Morocco before so even their common birds that we in the UK don’t get will be of interest!
Many thanks
Steve
Had a great time
Here is my list of birds seen
Missed out on crimson finch
Thanks for everyone’s input👍
Morocco

Marrakech

Day 1

Black kite

House bunting*

Common Bulbul*

Blackbird

Collared Dove

House Sparrow

Day2

Lesser Kestrel*

Maghreb Magpie*

Serin

Greenfinch

Barbary partridge*

Booted eagle

Spotless starling

Sardinian warbler

Willow warbler

Turtle Dove

Laughing Dove

Ferrel pigeon

Pallid swift

Little swift*

Common swift

Chaffinch (African race)

22 (6)*

Ouirgane

White Stork

European Bee-eater

Magreb Lark*

Moussiers Redstart*

Great grey Shrike

Black Wheatear*

Little egret

Great tit

Day 4/5/6

African Blue tit*

Levailants woodpecker*

Common redstart

Cirl bunting

Bonnellis eagle*

Jay

Hawfinch

Blackcap

Bonnellis Warbler*

Crag Martin

Robin

short-toed treecreeper*

Sub-Alpine warbler*

Recorded Sound* x 2

Coal tit

Alpine Chough *

Red billed Chough

Black Redstart

Yellow wagtail

GSW

Red-rumped swallow

Common Cuckoo

30(11)*

52 (17)*

Had a great time
Here is my list of birds seen
Missed out on crimson finch
Thanks for everyone’s input👍
Morocco

Marrakech

Day 1

Black kite

House bunting*

Common Bulbul*

Blackbird

Collared Dove

House Sparrow

Day2

Lesser Kestrel*

Maghreb Magpie*

Serin

Greenfinch

Barbary partridge*

Booted eagle

Spotless starling

Sardinian warbler

Willow warbler

Turtle Dove

Laughing Dove

Ferrel pigeon

Pallid swift

Little swift*

Common swift

Chaffinch (African race)

22 (6)*

Ouirgane

White Stork

European Bee-eater

Magreb Lark*

Moussiers Redstart*

Great grey Shrike

Black Wheatear*

Little egret

Great tit

Day 4/5/6

African Blue tit*

Levailants woodpecker*

Common redstart

Cirl bunting

Bonnellis eagle*

Jay

Hawfinch

Blackcap

Bonnellis Warbler*

Crag Martin

Robin

short-toed treecreeper*

Sub-Alpine warbler*

Recorded Sound* x 2

Coal tit

Alpine Chough *

Red billed Chough

Black Redstart

Yellow wagtail

GSW

Red-rumped swallow

Common Cuckoo

30(11)*

52 (17)*
Maghreb Lark is very unlikely at Ourigane. How did you separate from Crested or Thekla?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back