• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marlose (1 Viewer)

Formatted

Just wondering if anyone is based in Marlose. I'll be at Skomer next week for a few days, but I'll based in Marlose.

Anyone got any advice on beach spots for Seals and Waders on the main-land in case the boat cannot go or is full.

Also up for a drink in the evening if anyone is about.

Hi Formatted

There's a hide at Marloes Mere, where you should find some waders. See map.

Marloes Sands is interesting - a lovely beach with unusual rock formations. That's where I found Chough, but they should be seen anywhere round the coastline there. Don't forget the reserve on the other side of Martin's Haven.

Can't help with the seals though.

D

EDIT to add: The first post in this old thread of mine, described what we did for a few days in the Marloes area.

Was on Skomer yesterday, there's two seals in the bay at Martin's Haven at the moment, Chough are around the Deer Park at Wooltack Point (headland next to martin's haven) also find Kestrel, Fulmar, Peregrine around here and also Chough found at Stack Rocks/Green Bridge in South Pembrokeshire

as DT said, Marloes Mere is good for wildfowl with two hides - might catch a Merlin or Hen Harrier there as well if you're lucky.

The Gann at Dale is also great for waders

our local bird blog is here > http://www.pembsbirds.blogspot.com/ with location guides here > https://docs.google.com/View?id=ddf9b4g8_5g2tdxx&pli=1

cheers

drew

Last edited:
Deer Park at Wooltack Point

Any Deer in Deer Park?

Thanks for the info, you've filled me full of hope of stuff to photograph if I can't get to the island.

Currently thinking Tuesday, Wednesday Skomer and then Thursday, Martins Haven and Wooltack Point. Going to look for some surfers on Friday on the way back home.

Cheers

You sir are a gentlemen and a scholar thank you kindly!

I do believe our Delia is neither a Sir nor gentleman, a scholar I will leave open to debate :-O

Regarding Skomer, seals prefer Garland Stone, but should weather prevent you visiting, the headland at Marloes (ie Wooltack Point) is usually reasonably good fopr seal in addition to Chough (despite the name, there are not any deer though).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back