• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manitoba, Carman, Stepehensfield, Fort Whyte Center (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Carman – Aug 2-12

Grackles seem to be flocking for last week or so have seen them flying from tree to tree in fairly large flocks of 20 or more.
Sparrows are still dominating our feeders, only the larger birds like Blue Jays and Grackles will cause them to move but even the Blue Jays and Grackles seem to be wary of them when they are present in numbers.
Grey Catbirds seem to have gone haven’t seen one for almost 2 weeks.
We have frogs that live in our lawn, I think they are Northern Leopard frogs, (Picture Attached). They are doing well this year as I see them quite frequently, probably due to the heavy rains and longer grass in our yard due to the less frequent mowing between rains. We have a large hedge which the frogs seem to like, I spot them most frequently near the hedge. It is a Chinese Elm which grows at a phenomenal rate, several feet over the summer. We refer to it as the Demon Hedge. I only trim the hedge in the fall so as not to disturb the frogs or nesting birds.

Sightings:
Brown Thrasher
House Sparrow
Oriole
Mourning Dove
White Breasted Nuthatch
Crow
Blue Jay
Ruby Throated Hummingbird
Common Grackle
Downy Woodpecker
Robin
Chipping Sparrow
Pine Siskin
Red Breasted Nuthatch
Rock Pigeon

Fort Whyte Center - Aug 3

Sightings:
California Gull
Clay Colored Sparrow
Double Crested Cormorant
Kildeer
Pied Billed Grebe (New bird for us)
Franklin’s Gull
Yellow Warbler
Red Winged Blackbird
House Sparrow
Mourning Dove

Stephenfield – Aug 5

Quite a good outing, we saw a variety of birds and had an excellent time.
Bank Swallows seem to have abandoned their nesting site. (Picture Attached)
Sightings:
Wild Turkey (Picture Attached)
Red Tailed Hawk (Picture Attached)
White Breasted Nuthatch
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Pelican
Robin
Chickadee
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker
California Gull
Great Crested Flycatcher (Picture Attached)
Cedar Wax Wing
Crow
Red Wing Blackbird
Eastern Kingbird
Barn Swallow
Bank Swallow
Mourning Dove
Yellow Warbler
Black & White Warbler
Baird’s Sparrow (New bird for us)

Attachments

• 182 turkey resize.jpg
    182 turkey resize.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 221 red tailed hawk crop.jpg
    221 red tailed hawk crop.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 44
  • 172 swallow home resize.jpg
    172 swallow home resize.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 37
  • 124 great crested flycatcher resize.jpg
    124 great crested flycatcher resize.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 007 frog.jpg
    007 frog.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 42
Your frog is a toad, I'd assume American but I don't know if there are any other species up there.

Interesting about the grackles, that is exactly the same time as my grackles started to move in flocks.

Never thought to look for toads, it would seem to be a Canadian Toad.
Seems the Gray Catbirds and Brown Thrashers are gone. Last year they were gone around the 3rd week in August.
Looks like with our early spring the birds had a great breeding season, I'm certain the House Sparrows had two or three hatchings. Grackles and Brown cowbirds seemed to be more plentiful this year as well.
Orioles are still here have at least 2 males and 2 females still coming to our feeder. Saw one Hummingbird this week as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back