• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mammals San Diego (1 Viewer)

tyson

hi,

I am going to San Diego to spend 6 days on a boat looking for Blue Whales & other Marine Life.

Does anyone know if there are any nearby areas to look for Mammals on land? I will do my own research too. I'm going on August the 3rd.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

hi,

I am going to San Diego to spend 6 days on a boat looking for Blue Whales & other Marine Life.

Does anyone know if there are any nearby areas to look for Mammals on land? I will do my own research too. I'm going on August the 3rd.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Hi Chris

I've not looked for mammals around San Diego but there should be plenty of wildlife in the parks east of the city. I'm not sure what species you're after but Mountain Lion is supposed to be relatively common* in Cuyamaca Rancho State Park along with both California and Merriam's Chipmunk.

Anza-Borrego Desert State Park is good for Desert Bighorn Sheep late morning along with various pocket mice and kangaroo rats.

Just driving around quiet desert roads at night should get you plenty of common stuff (Coyote, Striped Skunks, Raccoons, White-tailed Deer, cottontails, jackrabbits etc), along with some nice reptiles at certain times of the year. Using a spotlight would increase your chances of picking up rarer stuff such as Ringtail, Kit Fox or American Badger, just be careful not to use it in any National Parks or around other traffic, houses etc.

Sorry I can't be more help.

*obviously chances of seeing one still very slim.

Hi Mike,

That's really helpful thanks. Sounds exciting about the Mountain Lions. And good to know that there is a good variety of mammals that I could see.

I will bring my big torch with me to spotlight.

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris

I've not looked for mammals around San Diego but there should be plenty of wildlife in the parks east of the city. I'm not sure what species you're after but Mountain Lion is supposed to be relatively common* in Cuyamaca Rancho State Park along with both California and Merriam's Chipmunk.

Anza-Borrego Desert State Park is good for Desert Bighorn Sheep late morning along with various pocket mice and kangaroo rats.

Just driving around quiet desert roads at night should get you plenty of common stuff (Coyote, Striped Skunks, Raccoons, White-tailed Deer, cottontails, jackrabbits etc), along with some nice reptiles at certain times of the year. Using a spotlight would increase your chances of picking up rarer stuff such as Ringtail, Kit Fox or American Badger, just be careful not to use it in any National Parks or around other traffic, houses etc.

Sorry I can't be more help.

*obviously chances of seeing one still very slim.

Unfortunately we didn't make it to the parks you recommended Mike.

We were on the boat for up to 9hours a day and then I had to do the normal stuff(going to the beach and resteraunts) for my wife.

Saw loads of Blue Whales, a Grey Whale, Humpback & Long Beaked Common Dolphins.

Thanks for the advice anyway

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back