• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca birds (1 Viewer)

greer3

United Kingdom
Spent 10 days in Cala D'Or from 15th to 25th May. Saw what I thought were Crested Lark in Mondrago Natural Park, around S'Horta, S'Alquerria Blanca and farmland trails heading out of Cala D'Or. Are these more likely to have been Thekla Lark. They appeared to be residents rather than migrants. The official Mondrago Natural Park list only mentions Thekla Lark.
I saw several small groups of smaller sheartwater close to the shore off Cala D'Or( Manx Shearwater size), with fairly rapid flight movement. What is the most common shearwater of this description in Mallorca around this type of year?
Saw a few Cory Shearwater-type birds. Would these most likely be Scopoli's
Numerous Spotted Flycather in residence. Are there a sub-species?
Do you have Summer resident Common Whitethroat in Mallorca or are they migrants?

Last edited:
Hi greer3
As far as I know, Crested lark has never been recorded in Mallorca.
I go to Mondragó regularly and there are quite a few resident Thekla larks around throughout the year.
Smaller shearwaters are almost certainly Balearic shearwaters. They are seen around the coast, especially in the east and south-east. They usually pass up the coast, from the archipelago of Cabrera where they breed, in the mornings, and can then be seen returning late evening. Only the odd Yelkouan shearwater would put in an appearance, thus your birds were most likely Balearic.
The larger shearwater are indeed Scopoli’s. Again, as far as I know, Cory’s has never officially been seen.
Common whitethroat are a passage migrant.
As for spotted flycatchers, striata I believe pass through and Mediterranean stay to breed. As I take very little interest in sub-species, no doubt someone else can put me right.
Many more Mallorca sightings can be seen on the above thread, Mallorca 2022.
There are also articles about the spotted flycatcher sub-species so it’s worth scrolling back to look for more information.
All the best, glad you had a good time here.
Mike

Hi greer3
I go to Mondragó regularly and there are quite a few resident Thekla larks around throughout the year.
Smaller shearwaters are almost certainly Balearic shearwaters. They are seen around the coast, especially in the east and south-east. They usually pass up the coast, from the archipelago of Cabrera where they breed, in the mornings, and can then be seen returning late evening. Only the odd Yelkouan shearwater would put in an appearance, thus your birds were most likely Balearic.
The larger shearwater are indeed Scopoli’s. Again, as far as I know, Cory’s has never officially been seen.
As for spotted flycatchers, striata I believe pass through and Mediterranean stay to breed. As I take very little interest in sub-species, no doubt someone else can put me right.
There are also articles about the spotted flycatcher sub-species so it’s worth scrolling back to look for more information.
Mike
Mike, Mediterranean Flycatcher Muscicapa tyrrhenica is recognised by IOC who accepted Viganò & Corso 2015, the nominate breeding in Corsica and Sardinia, balearica appropriately breeding in the Balearic Islands!
MJB
Viganò, M and A Corso. 2015. Morphological differences between two subspecies of Spotted Flycatcher Muscicapa striata (Pallas, 1764) (Passeriformes Muscicapidae). Biodiversity J. 6(1): 271-284

Hi greer3
Mike
Well that's cleared up a few mysteries! Thank you very much. Very helpful.

Thinking of going there myself… did you see the black, Griffon or eleonoras?
No. We were based in Cala D'Or without a car so we just explored the countryside we could reach by bus such as the Mondrago Natural Park, around S'Horta, S'Alquerria Blanca - or walking inland from the resort. Tended to see the same sorts of birds such as Thekla Lark, many many Spotted Flycatcher, Goldfinch, Linnet, Greenfinch, Nightingale, Sardinian Warbler, Crossbill, Woodchat Shrike, Cirl Bunting and the above mentioned shearwater. Very impressed by the inland rural areas. Largely unspoilt with lots of accesible dirt tracks or quiet roads to walk along.
If you are without a car, the local buses are excellent, reliable and very cheap. eg a seven mile journey cost 1.50 euros.

No. We were based in Cala D'Or without a car so we just explored the countryside we could reach by bus such as the Mondrago Natural Park, around S'Horta, S'Alquerria Blanca - or walking inland from the resort. Tended to see the same sorts of birds such as Thekla Lark, many many Spotted Flycatcher, Goldfinch, Linnet, Greenfinch, Nightingale, Sardinian Warbler, Crossbill, Woodchat Shrike, Cirl Bunting and the above mentioned shearwater. Very impressed by the inland rural areas. Largely unspoilt with lots of accesible dirt tracks or quiet roads to walk along.
If you are without a car, the local buses are excellent, reliable and very cheap. eg a seven mile journey cost 1.50 euros.
We are planning to stay in the area around Puerto pollensa and will definitely be taking buses. Probably be taking the bus to the mountains to try a get to the vulture nesting area.

Visit the
https://www.tib.org webpage. Its the Mallorca buses website for timetables and info about fares.
If you pay by debit or mastercard on the bus you save a lot of money especially if there's two or more going on the journey. For example Cala D'Or to Mandrago Natural Park and back paying by cash would cost 6 euros each for two people ie 12 euros in total. Paying on board by card was 6 euros in total for the return journey. We went there three times so that saved 18 euros alone.
We pre loaded a Monzo mastercard and used that. The Monzo card can be used just like any ordinary debit card for other puropses. Its free to get one.

·

Visit the
https://www.tib.org webpage. Its the Mallorca buses website for timetables and info about fares.
If you pay by debit or mastercard on the bus you save a lot of money especially if there's two or more going on the journey. For example Cala D'Or to Mandrago Natural Park and back paying by cash would cost 6 euros each for two people ie 12 euros in total. Paying on board by card was 6 euros in total for the return journey. We went there three times so that saved 18 euros alone.
We pre loaded a Monza mastercard and used that. The Monza card can be used just like any ordinary debit card for other puropses. Its free to get one.

·
I actually use a monza debit card. Thanks for the help.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back