• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2024 (6 Viewers)

Please find a photo from yesterdays visit at San Jordi it is not of best quality because I still struggle to understand my camera. If anyone in this group can help me to understand my Sony RX10 IV I would be extremly happy :D. Cameras from seventies and eighties was much easier
Hi H,
You should have better photos from such a camera..I hope the manuals help..I find them very complex as well

Manual

Identifying birds in photos makes me feel that I have learnt nothing in the 15 years I have been birdwatching...
Photos can be very confusing and I believe that in many cases, even if we try, we cannot get definitive identifications...
So still wondering which bird is it, if not an Oytercatcher, not a Green Sandpiper....maybe a Common Sandpiper (Even it looks like a bigger bird and with a longer bill...?)
I think we'll never know...
I agree with Maties about Yellow Hammers, and he knows more than any of us about the species that are close to nest in Mallorca as he has recently published a paper about that.

Biel Bernat

Hi H,
You should have better photos from such a camera..I hope the manuals help..I find them very complex as well

Manual
I agree but even manual is a djungle with a lot of options. I was recomended it by a friend as small (easy to take with you) camera. My purpose is to take bird photos. Main problem for me is the focus No problem is it open area but as soon you have fence or bushes, trees etc I got problem.
I have added some other photos from Mallorca which is of better quality

Attachments

• Roskarl Palma 1.JPG
    Roskarl Palma 1.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 28
  • Grå flugsnappare Albufera .JPG
    Grå flugsnappare Albufera .JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • Rödhake på gren Calvia .JPG
    Rödhake på gren Calvia .JPG
    6 MB · Views: 25
  • Silkeshäger 2.JPG
    Silkeshäger 2.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 27
  • Skarv lyfter.JPG
    Skarv lyfter.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
I agree but even manual is a djungle with a lot of options. I was recomended it by a friend as small (easy to take with you) camera. My purpose is to take bird photos. Main problem for me is the focus No problem is it open area but as soon you have fence or bushes, trees etc I got problem.
I have added some other photos from Mallorca which is of better quality
Hi H.,

My sympathies with manuals for digital equipment, they never tell you what you need to know in easily understandable form. I have been using Olympus/OMSystem gear for some years now and I would never have known how to get half decent photos, especially in difficult conditions, without spending a lot of time watching videos on YouTube explaining all the finer points of how to operate them. I am sure you will be able to find something similar, maybe even specifically for birding. Good luck and don't despair!

I had a quick walk along the east coast today from S'Algar Bay, Portocolom, while my wife was painting a picture of the lovely boathouses in the port. From the description of the area in the Birding Tourist's Guide to Mallorca, plenty of birdlife is promised, especially in winter. I was a little sceptical but in fact I had a lovely hour and a half (she's a rapid painter ;)) walking along the rocky coast and was pleasantly surprised by the abundance of passerines. I am sure this was aided and abetted by a complete absence of people, dogs or other any disturbances. I enjoyed picking out stonechats, blackcaps, Sardinian warblers, black redstarts, blue rock thrushes, swarms of goldfinches and several Thekla larks – all were present in good numbers. In fact, the morning had got off to a splendid start when a kingfisher darted across the harbour just after we arrived. Lovely peaceful morning.

Mallorca20240112-11-DNG_DxO.jpg Mallorca20240112-26-DNG_DxO.jpg Mallorca20240112-37.jpg

Last few days have been poor for birding up North due to the needed rainfall.
Local Visits to S'Albuferata, Maristany and Ternelles Valley Road had few surprises. Interesting birds seen included Juvenile Night Heron, Flamingos, Black Vultures, Griffon Vultures, Serins, Siskins, Sandwich Terns, Golden Plover.
Weather looking better next week.

Question on the large number of Chiffchaffs..any Iberian Chiffchaff reported here?

Attachments

• received_334439449545101.jpeg
    received_334439449545101.jpeg
    382.1 KB · Views: 9
I have just been down to my local port where there are bonfires and barbecues blazing away to celebrate Sant Antoni.
It’s a marvelous affair and they certainly know how to hold fiestas here.
On my way back, I heard the unmistakable call of a Long-eared owl.
I managed to locate the tree where it was calling from, then watched it as it flew silently and gracefully away.
What a beautiful bird.
I’m so pleased to see on e again after a long absence due to the huge number of new buildings being erected nearby.
Let’s hope they take up their old breeding grounds, I really miss them.
Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike
I’m reading up about Iberian chiff-chaff.
I believe they do occur here as a rarity although I imagine some may get overlooked.
It’s the call that’s important to separate them from common chiff-chaff, although good photos can also be a clincher.
I seem to remember Mirella found one singing from a tree in Cala d’Or on the same day I was taking coffee from right underneath.
I went back and saw what I believe was the same bird.
I will let you know what I find but in the meantime, maybe one of the locals may be able to comment.
Mike

Last edited:
A bit of a bombshell just now with Maties finding at least one Snow bunting on the central plain at Maria de la salut.
I hope he, or somebody else, can post more details, hopefully with photos.
Very rare in Mallorca, with only two sightings in my time here, from memory, one of which I was lucky enough to see.
Mike

This morning, MikeM and I were rewarded for a chilly trip to the Cape with a spectacular performance involving four gannets and numbers of Balearic shearwaters – we had just clocked the shearwaters – Mike stopped counting at 40 – when the gannets appeared, crisscrossing between the mainland and Cabrera, rising and plunging into the sea. This is in itself a sight to see of course but what made it more special was that they were being followed by groups of shearwaters which closed in as they hit the water and harried them as they emerged. Unfortunately it was too far away to get a good sight of what exactly was happening, let alone take a photo, but it was obvious that there must have been fish around, and whether the shearwaters were trying to mug the gannets, pick up some detritus or catch their own fish was not clearly discernible. The action stopped as if a switch had been thrown, so we decided to move on to the Es Trenc road to see if we could catch up on any waders. On a whim, I said let's stop at Passage No. 5 on the way. Mike had one of his feelings that something special would happen – and there was a common buzzard, which I had hitherto never seen on the island. The pools along the Es Trenc road looked idyllic with the reflections of the clouds in the water. There was little else in them. Once again though, Mike was altruistically trying to help me to a respectable total for birds in January, many thanks for that Mike – but let's just say I am some way off three figures at the moment! But no worries there as long as I can enjoy mornings like this.
Here is the action from the salt pans - a tattered marsh harrier, a very lonely greenshank and real drama among the Kentish plovers!

Mallorca20240113-25.jpg Mallorca20240113-34.jpg Mallorca20240113-84.jpg

Peter S and I headed out early (9.30) after scrapping the ice off the car!
However the day got better and better!
First stops at the screen at S'Albuferata and the " Orange Bridge" on the perimeter of S'Albufera.
Stone Curlews,Flamingoes, Black winged Stilts,Sandwich terns,etc welcomed us.
S'Albufera was rather busy with families, however we had enjoyable times in the various hides. The highlights included Reed Buntings, Avocet, Greenshank, Redshank, Grey Plover, two Spoonbills and Osprey feeding on its platform. A lesser Black back gull was also seen.
We decided to visit the depuradora and check the progress of the road repairs. It was still necessary to use alternative roads. As we approached the Platform, we spotted the Common Crane in the adjacent field.
Overall we saw or heard some 60 species.
A great day and the weather is getting better next week for St.Antoni festival.

Attachments

• received_306699298504569.jpeg
    received_306699298504569.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 18
  • received_357312013712220.jpeg
    received_357312013712220.jpeg
    417.3 KB · Views: 16
  • received_912479367126873.jpeg
    received_912479367126873.jpeg
    414.3 KB · Views: 15
  • received_739050798286693.jpeg
    received_739050798286693.jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 15
  • received_365197356131808.jpeg
    received_365197356131808.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 20
  • received_406815168352419.jpeg
    received_406815168352419.jpeg
    303.7 KB · Views: 20
  • received_700807135539547.jpeg
    received_700807135539547.jpeg
    251.6 KB · Views: 22
  • received_644013924407127.jpeg
    received_644013924407127.jpeg
    484.6 KB · Views: 17
  • received_913258950323315.jpeg
    received_913258950323315.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 17
  • received_409534088171850.jpeg
    received_409534088171850.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 16
I have been wanting to walk Sa Barrala for some time now and at last I found myself beginning a slow amble around the fields to just enjoy some everyday birding.
Only one thing could stop me now..
Sure enough, the Rare Bird alert went off. Biel had found a major rarity at Cala Gamba.
Somehow, I couldn’t bring myself to go.
As I had seen the species before, I let it go.
I hope Biel can post details later, it was a fantastic find.
We began walking and I soon spotted a strange falcon high in the sky. I couldn’t make up my mind what it was but that was soon resolved when it swooped down and began plucking an unlucky pigeon.
Then I saw the owner nearby.
I’m not sure what species it is as I’m not much interested in falconry but I do know there are a lot of hybrids out there.
It was a very pleasant walk seeing lots of Booted eagles, Marsh harrier and Red kites.
Also many Meadow pipits, Skylarks and Lapwings.
The picnic was superb and I went home feeling pleased that I had enjoyed a very ordinary day.
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0758.jpeg
    IMG_0758.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 32
Sure enough, the Rare Bird alert went off. Biel had found a major rarity at Cala Gamba.
Somehow, I couldn’t bring myself to go.
As I had seen the species before, I let it go.
I hope Biel can post details later, it was a fantastic find.
Originally identified as a Black-throated Loon/Diver (G.artica), now re-identified by experts as a Common Loon (G.immer)
From memory there is a historical record, but none in recent memory.
A search this morning has failed to relocate it as the sea is also pretty rough, but hopefully it will pop up again.

I’ve come to the conclusion that you have to be something of a masochist to be a sea watcher, prepared to have rain lashing against your face, cold winds and miserable conditions to go with it.
All to watch hundreds of black dots on the horizon, not having a clue what they are.
Happily, here in Mallorca, weather conditions are kinder and certainly better than my old days at Dungeness.
Tonight, it was grim, dark and cold, but I battled on.
I was rewarded with a grand total of 118 Balearic shearwaters all going south.
I saw more dolphins than ever, certainly at least 7 separate examples and what a delight they were. They never fail to make me happy.
Also, a fishing boat went by, complete with 24 shearwaters in tow.
It was a great evening, despite the weather.
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0882.jpeg
    IMG_0882.jpeg
    251.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0867.jpeg
    IMG_0867.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0858.jpeg
    IMG_0858.jpeg
    947.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0834.jpeg
    IMG_0834.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0851.jpeg
    IMG_0851.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
Originally identified as a Black-throated Loon/Diver (G.artica), now re-identified by experts as a Common Loon (G.immer)
From memory there is a historical record, but none in recent memory.
A search this morning has failed to relocate it as the sea is also pretty rough, but hopefully it will pop up again.
By Chance I was picking up a friend from the Airport so took the oppertunity to look for the Common Loon. As Esterbannic mentioned, the sea was pretty rough. I searched for every movement and thought I had it twice, however turned out to be Shags and Cormorants.
20 Turnstones, 10 Sandwich Terns, Several Audouins Gulls, etc. were seen. No sign of the Whimbrel as well.
However it was a very Pleasent walk around the coast.

Attachments

• 38802496_Unknown.jpeg
    38802496_Unknown.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • 38802688_Unknown.jpeg
    38802688_Unknown.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 12
  • 38802784_Unknown.jpeg
    38802784_Unknown.jpeg
    719.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 38802816_Unknown.jpeg
    38802816_Unknown.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • 39065072_Unknown.jpeg
    39065072_Unknown.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 38802400_Unknown.jpeg
    38802400_Unknown.jpeg
    898.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I’ve come to the conclusion that you have to be something of a masochist to be a sea watcher, prepared to have rain lashing against your face, cold winds and miserable conditions to go with it.
All to watch hundreds of black dots on the horizon, not having a clue what they are.
Happily, here in Mallorca, weather conditions are kinder and certainly better than my old days at Dungeness.
Tonight, it was grim, dark and cold, but I battled on.
I was rewarded with a grand total of 118 Balearic shearwaters all going south.
I saw more dolphins than ever, certainly at least 7 separate examples and what a delight they were. They never fail to make me happy.
Also, a fishing boat went by, complete with 24 shearwaters in tow.
It was a great evening, despite the weather.
Mike
Hi Mike I totally agree and for your information I make a short visit in Sweden (west coast) purpose to see children and grandchildren. Tomorrow it will be wind from west sector between 17 -20 m/s and 1 plus degree - anyway I will not miss it so there will be a couple of hours.
Be happy to have higher temperature

Attachments

• Ejder i storm.JPG
    Ejder i storm.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
After a very early start and a drive to Liverpool airport I arrived in Palma at 10am on Sunday. I was at a warm and sunny Albufereta by 1pm for a very enjoyable couple of hours. Water levels at Sa Barcassa were high and there was an absence of waders. There are around 100 flamingo on the various ponds, several great white egrets and plenty of marsh harriers patrolling the wetlands. Bird of the day was a kingfisher hovering in flight about 6m above the water, wings beating rapidly like a hummingbird before diving for fish. Yesterday morning I met Peter S and together we headed off firstly to the Depuradora then to S’Amarador before finishing the day at Albufera main reserve. We found a common crane in the field immediately behind the platform at the Dep before it wandered out of sight, there was little else of note there or at S’Amarador. Arriving at Albufera early afternoon we made our way around the hides at Sa Roca where high water levels meant almost no waders although we did see both spotted redshank and greenshank. At Cibollar 1 there were over 200 cormorants roosting, a few avocets and an Osprey perched on the nest site. At Cibollar 2 Peter spotted a garganey on one of the islands close by, dozing in the sunshine with a group of shoveller. We had hoped to find the spoonbill reported there on Saturday but despite our best efforts we couldn’t find it. We then walked half way down the track towards the power station in what was now failing light and were delighted to find a hunting pine marten that initially didn’t see us. It continued towards us to within about 20 metres before disappearing into the undergrowth. On our return towards the visitor centre we found it again on the track about 200 metres from where we had last seen it. A Mallorca first for me. A really enjoyable day in 22° of sunshine. It’s great to be back and to get the Big Year off to a steady start.

Attachments

• D8E5C532-7F3E-45AA-A297-9DBF1C080CD4.jpeg
    D8E5C532-7F3E-45AA-A297-9DBF1C080CD4.jpeg
    665.6 KB · Views: 15
  • FB2BD3B6-0F3E-4401-B2EB-3EF1968EAC9E.jpeg
    FB2BD3B6-0F3E-4401-B2EB-3EF1968EAC9E.jpeg
    894.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 6C832F1A-B848-498A-BFF5-80E744E8327D.jpeg
    6C832F1A-B848-498A-BFF5-80E744E8327D.jpeg
    337.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 8728E24B-9A47-4322-83AF-55A63416A5FB.jpeg
    8728E24B-9A47-4322-83AF-55A63416A5FB.jpeg