• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malaysia - Taman Negara and Fraser Hill at Lowseason - Oktober/November 2016 (1 Viewer)

darwin1601

I was in Taman Negara National Park for nearly two weeks and now just came back from a ten day visit at Fraser Hill. Most about this two places has allready been enumerated by frogfish and Chlidonias in there interesting and entertaining trip reports. But in the meantime some things has changed or are different in this time of the year and i will mainly tell about this.

Because i'll go soon back to Taman Negara for an other week, i will start to write about Fraser Hill fist.

Even if you can still sometimes read in the Internet, there are no bus companies from Kuala Lumpur directly to Fraser Hill anymore. If you are traveling without a car of your own, the easiest way is to take the train from KL Central Railway Station to Kuala Kudu Baruh Station (1 hour, 9 ringgit) and from there you have to take a taxi to Fraser Hill (90 ringgit). There is no public transport to Fraser Hill. I stayed at the Puncak Inn. The cheapest hotel up there with solid rooms with bathroom and for the price perfectly in order (100 ringgit incl tax, 130 ringgit at the weekend), good internet, also the restaurant is o.k. Most other restaurants only opened at the weekend - because it is low season,

The main reason why I came here were on the one hand to see the Black Gibbons/Siamangs, which I had missed in Sumatra so often and otherwise the Long tailed - and Silver breasted Broadbills and at first the Red headed Trogon.

Since it was early in the afternoon when i arrived i made myself straight on the way to the trails and experienced a terrible surprise. All trails were closed with barrier tape. Back in my hotel I asked about this and they told me that all the trails for the next three months are closed during the rainy season - just like last year! - WHAT!?
(A week later I found the following announcement at the entrance to the Mager Trail: "Hereby to inform from 1st November until 31st January 2017 Forest Eco Park and State Park Forest will be closed to all visitors due to rainy season. Therefore, any activities comprises mountain climing are not allowed during this period. If any visitor/individual disobey this announcment, a strict punishment will be charged under National Forestry Act.... a.s.o. - I saw the same message again at the also blocked entrance to the Jeriau Waterfall.)
There was nothing to read about this fact on any of the official tourism sites, such as fraserhil.info. or others. Only on wikitravel there was a note from a traveler about it. I was, to put it mildly...expressed. And because that is not good for my health, so I decided to ignore it...

I walked all the trails, the most twice. (They were all in good condition with the exception of the Maxwell Trial witch was often blocked by fallen trees and partially destroyed by wild boars and full with Leeches) I also walked "The Gap" twice down and up, but without seeing something special there (except three different types of hornbills). However, I had my interesting days on the Bishop Trail, where I spent most of my time:

On my third day, sunny weather, I was back on the Bishop Trail, where I wanted to spend the whole day between to small valleys witch are located between the second and third schelter. Because there a whole series of trees full of fruits hung and that attracts monkeys. And it starts very well right at the entrance to the trail with a few Common green Magpies and a Red beared Bee Eater. At the fruit trees then I could observe a Fire breasted Flowerpecker and Little cockoo Doves. At ten o'clock in the morning a group of White thighted Langurs arrives in the tree directly over my head and stayed there for half an hour while a Three stripes Palm Civet came over to pick also some fruits. Squirrels there were, of course, many. Just after the langurs had leave a five-headed family Black Gibbons/Siamangs enter another huge tree beside me. (I had heard them sing before and hoped they would come closer) I think they discovered me quickly, but they were not to be disturbed by my presence and stayed in this tree for over an hour, picking fruits, grooming each other and began to sing - an unforgettable experience! (I was about six times on the Bishop and Maxwell Trails and had the luck to see every time Siamangs - often the same family - and also Langurs. I also saw Gibbons at The Gap and near the Waterfall)
Later, it was already shortly after noon I surprised in the other valley a sleeping group Dusky Langurs, which lay only two meters above the ground in branches - monkeyday!

But the day of the highlights was not over yet. Just so I returned from one valley to the other i run into a huge birdwave like I've never experienced before. Lead by two/three dozen Gray chinned Minivets and Mountain Vulvettas was suddenly all around me full of birds. Me in the middle and making photos on all sides. So I took pictures of Spectacled Laughingthrush, Lesser racket tailed Drongo, Bronzed Drongo, Black browed Barbets, Fire tufted Barbet, White throated Fantail, Blue Nuthatch, Bar winged Flycatcher Shrike, Sultan Tits, Lesser Yellownape and my fist Red headed Trogon (female), and there were certainly also Bulbuls and other smaller birds which I could not however determine - i was quite overstrained!
After the wave roll back maybe ten minutes later came to my mind how amazingly quietly this whole attack went before itself. Thats why it surprised me so much (also it was at 2pm!) - what a day and the best till the end...

Attachments

• black gibbon siamang.jpg
    black gibbon siamang.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 81
  • dusky langur.jpg
    dusky langur.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 66
  • three striped palm civet.jpg
    three striped palm civet.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 71
  • common green magpie.jpg
    common green magpie.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 65
  • siamang singing.jpg
    siamang singing.jpg
    547.8 KB · Views: 70
Days later near the same valley i also make the foto of a Wreathed Hornbill surrounded by monkeys and when I went around the corner and looked down into the valley there sat ten of this Hornbills on the ground and pecked fallen fruits or maybe soil. They saw me earlier than I did them and fly away and so a good opportunity for a foto had passed. Also a male of the Red headed Trogan I finally found on this trail (Number eighteen on my personal trogan list). And also a Red naped Trogon, which I had not actually expected at Fraser Hill.
At the Telecom Loop i also find at an early morning a beautyful Red tailed Lancer snake waiting for the sun.
Of the broadbills I have unfortunately seen nothing at all. Maybe not the right season. And also another species was not present - other birders! In the whole time I have not even met any other person on the trails (exept three scientists(?) who carried out a ringing action with birds at the Hemmant Trail) or at the roads. Only allot of Locals at the weekend.

On my bird list are only species I have also photographed . Because I'm not good at determining from passing birds and do not know me well with the singing of most birds. Also not included are all the birds which I have not specified, like Babblers, Wabblers, Swallows... All i have seen for the first time are in bold letters.

Wreathed Hornbill
Bushy crested Hornbill
Rhinoceros Hornbill
Red headed Trogon
Red naped Trogon
Greater racket tailed Drongo
Lesser racket tailed Drongo
Bronzed Drongo
Fire tufted Barbet
Black browed Barbet
Red throated Barbet
Mountain Bulbul
Stripe throated Bulbul
Hairy backed Bulbul
Banded Woodpecker
Lesser yellownape Woodpecker
Bay Woodpecker
Mountain imperial Pigeon
Yellow vented green Pigeon
Little cuckoo Dove
Streaked Spiderhunter
Fire breasted Flowerpecker
Black throated Sunbird
Long tailed Sibia
Silver eared Mesia
Slaty backed Forktail
Sultan Tit
Spectacled Laughingthrush
Mountain Fulvetta
Common green Magpie
Red beared Bee Eater
Grey chinned Minivet
Blue Nuthatch
Rufous browed Flycatcher
Large Niltrava
White throuted Fantail
Orientel magpie Robin
Dark necked Tailorbird
Asian fairy Bluebird
Black bellied Malkoha
Orange bellied Leafbird
Grey Wagtail
Bar winged Flycatcher Shrike

Mammals
Black Gibbon/Siamang
Dusky Langur
White thighed Langur
Long tailed Macaques
Three striped Palm Civet
Wild Boar
Black giant Squirrel
Western striped Squirrel
Least pygmy Squirrel
Grey bellied Squirrel
Mountain red bellied Squirrel
Plantain Squirrel
Common Treeshrew

Red tailed Lancer/Green Tree Ratsnake

-When I come back from Taman Negara in ten days, I continue with my experiences from there...

Attachments

• red headed trogan - early mornig.jpg
    red headed trogan - early mornig.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 102
  • wreathed hornbill watched.jpg
    wreathed hornbill watched.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 73
  • red tailed racer.jpg
    red tailed racer.jpg
    370.9 KB · Views: 151
  • rhinoceros hornbills.jpg
    rhinoceros hornbills.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 85
  • large niltrava.jpg
    large niltrava.jpg
    711.5 KB · Views: 91
yes, you are right, I also noticed that when I saw here. looked like burnt. also her tongue comes out only frequently. But after a while she moved away normal - so, no idea?

I,m back from the Taman Negara National Park. Here, too, the most is already extensively described by frogfish and Chlidonias. So only a few of my experiences at this season. The main reason to come here were the Lar (white handed) Gibbons and of course the Pittas, even if it was clear to me that the time to see them was not the best.
Actually I walked all trails up to a length of 8km. Most often. Here more about three of them. (see trailmap below)

The Blue/Jong Trail I wandered pretty much at the beginning. Already on the first kilometer was clear to me that this trail is very tricky. Many bustled trees, which always block the path over hundred meters and force to bypass it, what wasn't easy, couse everything there is full of rattan plants where you can get rip on your skin and clothes. Only after about 2 kilometer its become better and the path is easy to recognize. This trail is definitely not suitable for "normal tourists". It is easy to lose the orientation. (I am trained with kompas, which makes the thing considerably easier) - Later I have learned that the Agencies this trail also no longer offer and currently it is also locked - For back and forth I have needed for this nearly 8 kilometer long trail good 9 hours - that actually says it all. Also leeches socks are recommended during the rainy season on this trail, he gave in part very many. There is still the possibility to reach the Blue and Jong shelter over the river by boat and settle down and pick up at the blue jetty (but costs 80 ringgit for the boat)
This trail is recomended for the search for the Garnet Pitta in general. And so it came then. Here I saw the only pitta during my entire stay at Taman Negara. A Garnet Pitta (juvenile male) crossed my path for a couple of seconds and I could make two photos.
I could also watch two Fish Owls there. All the other birds I have seen there, I have seen also on other trails.

Interesting is the trail towards Canopy Walkway, especially the part that starts after the boardwalk is over (or better, turns left to the canopy walk) and changed into a path. The following ca 1 km long path up to a orang asli settlement is particularly well in the early morning, because it leads along the river and in contrast to all other trails very early in the sun. Here I was able to find four Malkoha species, Back and red Broadbill, Black and yellow Broadbill, Red throated bee Eater, Asia paradise Flycatcher (also white morph), Banded - and Crimson winged Woodpecker, both Racked tailed Drongos, White rumped Shama, Oriental pied and Rhinozeros Hornbills and Thick billed Pigeon, next to Bulbuls and smaller birds.
For go through the trail to the Trenggan River (without crossing the river) and back again you should take 10 hours/15 km (including a detour to the Bukit Indah - the view from up there is nothing special). Goes partly high up and down.

Attachments

• map taman negara.jpg
    map taman negara.jpg
    504.2 KB · Views: 66
  • garnet pitta.jpg
    garnet pitta.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 53
  • buffy frishowl.jpg
    buffy frishowl.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 38
  • white rumped shama.jpg
    white rumped shama.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 29
Jenut Muda Trail was the trail where I have actually seen trogons every time. Scarlet breasted Trogons and Red naped Trogons often, Orange breasted Trogons twice. The most impressive experience was a loud-headed fight for what ever with wild fly back and forth of around six to eight Red naped Trogons (male, female and juveniles) around the noon time. For a quarter of an hour they could not calm themselves, then the spook was over.
A very located Brown wood Owl I have seen there again and again. Also a Drongo Cuckoo and a Chestnut naped Forktail I have only encountered on this trail.
On the way in the early morning I often inserted a stop at the Lubok Simpon swimming place, also because the light was already better there. Blue throated Bee Eaters can be seen there every morning hunting around the trees.
I have seen in the course of the days Storkbilled - Blue banded - and Black caped Kingfischer and a female Malaysian blue Flycatcher there. Crested Firebacks (two male, one female) were several times around the shelter.
One morning I noticed two large birds, which crossed the river far over the trees. Herons I thought. Half an hour later they came back almost on the same route and I had fortunately just used my camera ready and could shoot two photos. After closer consideration and advice of Greg Robsons Asien Birdbook was clear: Storm's Storks, what a fortune. The first ever to see.
Also at this day even a common otter emerge from the river a five meters before me. He was as surprised as I am and so he disappeared quickly.
There is between Jenut muda trail and the other trails again and again narrow paths which are worth running (mostly characterized by colored metalplates at the trees) This small trail was also the best to watch gibbons. But these shy monkeys, who usually do the best through the tallest trees. And always seemed to see me earlier than I did. So I did not manage to make a decent photo of them

Attachments

• chestnut naped forktail.jpg
    chestnut naped forktail.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 50
  • malaysian blue flycatcher - female.jpg
    malaysian blue flycatcher - female.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 42
  • crested fireback.jpg
    crested fireback.jpg
    483.5 KB · Views: 44
  • storm's storks.jpg
    storm's storks.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 83
For pittas was really not the right time. I spoke with a very well-equipped group of Japanese birders who were there for nearly a week. They have not seen a single pitta in the whole time or get an answer to their tapes - frustrating for them. So I have to wait for these birds until my trip in january/februar to sumatra, where they are around this time winter guests...

All in all it was a very nice trip and I have seen many birds for the first time. The rainforest there is already very unusual and there were also many very interesting plant species there (but this is another topic)

the same applies here: On my bird list are only species I have also photographed . Because I'm not good at determining from passing birds and do not know me well with the singing of most birds. Also not included are all the birds which I have not specified, like Babblers, Wabblers, Swallows... All i have seen for the first time are in bold letters.

Lesser fish Eagle
Black thighed Falconet
Buffy Fishowl
Brown wood Owl
Grey Heron
Little Heron
White breasted Waterhen
Storm's Stork
Crested Fireback
Thick billed Pigeon
Large green Pigeon
Emerald Dove
Spotted Dove
Greater racket tailed Drongo
Lesser racket tailed Drongo
Crow billed Drongo
Drongo Cuckoo
Black Magpie
Common Myrna
Rhinoceros Hornbill
Oriental pied Hornbill
Bushy crested Hornbill
Raffles Malkoha
Chestnut breasted Malkoha
Chestnut bellied Malkoha
Black bellied Malkoha
Red billed Malkoha
Greater Coucal
Checker throuted Woodpecker
Buff rumped Woodpecker
White bellied Woodpecker
Banded Woodpecker
Crimson winged Woodpecker
Maroon Woodpecker
Blue banded Kingfisher
Black capped Kingfisher
Stork billed Kingfischer
White throated Kingfischer
Green Broadbill
Black and red Broadbill
Black and yellow Broadbill
Red naped Trogan
Scarlet rumped Trogon
Orange breasted Trogon
Black headed Bulbul
Grey eyed Bulbul
Olive winged Bulbul
Yellow bellied Bulbul
Yellow vented Bulbul
Hairy backed Bulbul
Stripe throated Bulbul
Asian paradise Flycatcher (also white morph)
Malaysian blue Flycatcher
Black naped Monarch
Purple necked Sunbird
Crimson breasted Flowerpecker
Blue winged Leavebird
Lesser green Leafbird
Asian fairy Bluebird
Black naped Oriole
Asian glossy Starling
Blue crowned hanging Parrot
Scaly breasted Munia
White rumped Shama
Lesser cuckoo Shrike
Garnet Pitta
White throated Fantail
Chestnut naped Forktail
Orientel magpie Robin
Rufous winged Philentoma

Attachments

• red naped trogan.jpg
    red naped trogan.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 50
  • purple necked sunbird.jpg
    purple necked sunbird.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 35
  • oriental pied hornbills.jpg
    oriental pied hornbills.jpg
    527.2 KB · Views: 42
Storm's Stork is a great sighting at Taman Negara !!

It's a very good sighting, haven't heard of any for a while - last time I saw one from this area of Taman Negara was 2007, though I have seen it since from a different area of Taman Negara.

It's been very wet in Pahang (and Malaysia!) past couple of weeks, so birds have been a little quiet, though Garnet Pittas were fairly vocal last week on the western side of Taman Negara.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back