• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Macropygia cuckoo doves (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
Ng, Eaton, Verbelen, Hutchinson & Rheindt (in press). Using bioacoustic data to test species limits in an Indo-Pacific island radiation of Macropygia cuckoo doves. Biol J Linn Soc. [abstract & preview] [supp info]
  • Macropygia [amboinensis] amboinensis - Amboyna Cuckoo Dove (incl admiralitatis, carteretia, goldiei, keyensis, maforensis, griseinucha, meeki, cinereiceps, cunctata, huskeri, kerstingi)
  • Macropygia [amboinensis] doreya - Sultan's Cuckoo Dove (incl albicapilla, albiceps, atrata, sanghirensis, sedecima, balim)
  • Macropygia [emiliana] emiliana - Parzudaki's Cuckoo Dove (incl megala)
  • Macropygia [emiliana] cinnamomea - Enggano Cuckoo Dove (monotypic)
  • Macropygia [emiliana] modiglianii - Barusan Cuckoo Dove (incl elassa, hypopercna)
  • Macropygia [magna] magna - Timor Cuckoo Dove (monotypic)
  • Macropygia [magna] timorlaoensis - Tanimbar Cuckoo Dove (monotypic)
  • Macropygia [magna] macassariensis - Flores Sea Cuckoo Dove (incl longa)
  • Macropygia tenuirostris - Slender-billed Cuckoo Dove (incl borneensis, phaea, septentrionalis, tax nov [Palawan])
  • Macropygia phasianella - Australian Cuckoo Dove (monotypic - incl 'quinkan', 'robsoni')
  • Macropygia rufipennis - Andaman Cuckoo Dove (incl andamanica)
(Although Slender-billed Cuckoo Dove is a highly appropriate name for M tenuirostris, it could result in confusion given that Gibbs et al 2001 (Pigeons and Doves), HBW/BirdLife, IOC and eBird/Clements use that name for M amboinensis.)​
Baptista et al (HBW Alive):

Last edited:
Ng, Eaton, Verbelen, Hutchinson & Rheindt (in press). Using bioacoustic data to test species limits in an Indo-Pacific island radiation of Macropygia cuckoo doves. Biol J Linn Soc. [abstract & preview] [supp info]
  • Macropygia [amboinensis] amboinensis - Amboyna Cuckoo Dove (incl admiralitatis, carteretia, goldiei, keyensis, maforensis, griseinucha, meeki, cinereiceps, cunctata, huskeri, kerstingi)
  • Macropygia [amboinensis] doreya - Sultan's Cuckoo Dove (incl albicapilla, albiceps, atrata, sanghirensis, sedecima, balim)
  • Macropygia [emiliana] modiglianii - Barusan Cuckoo Dove (incl elassa, hypopercna)
  • Macropygia tenuirostris - Slender-billed Cuckoo Dove (incl borneensis, phaea, septentrionalis, tax nov [Palawan])
  • Macropygia phasianella - Australian Cuckoo Dove (monotypic - incl 'quinkan', 'robsoni')

IOC Update Diary Feb 23

Post proposed Macropygia splits on Updates/PS

Impressive work, resulting in a rather bizarre distribution for amboinensis and doreya!

Agreed, and the range of tenuirostris is also a bit odd now that it includes borneensis - I can't think off the top of my head of other species that are widely distributed in the Philippines + Borneo but not found elsewhere.

(Although Slender-billed Cuckoo Dove is a highly appropriate name for M tenuirostris, it could result in confusion given that Gibbs et al 2001 (Pigeons and Doves), HBW/BirdLife, IOC and eBird/Clements use that name for M amboinensis.)​

IOC Updates Diary Apr 9

Accept [five] Macropygia cuckoo-dove splits

On the IOC web sites its says "Add subspecies septentrionalis" for Philippine Cuckoo-Dove. But it doesn't say anything about ssp borneensis which Ng et al group with tenuirostris. I wonder if that is just not mentioned, or whether IOC intend to keep borneensis under emiliana?
Ng et al...
...we provisionally treat taxa M. t. tenuirostris and M. e. borneensis as one species until DNA becomes available to test whether phenotypic similarities between them are symplesiomorphic, maintained through regular gene flow or otherwise.
IOC's maintenance of the English name Philippine Cuckoo-Dove for M tenuirostris is consistent with the retention of borneensis as a ssp of M emiliana (presumably pending DNA analysis?).

Ng et al...

IOC's maintenance of the English name Philippine Cuckoo-Dove for M tenuirostris is consistent with the retention of borneensis as a ssp of M emiliana (presumably pending DNA analysis?).

DD's notes: The exclusion of mentioning the transfer of borneensis to M. tenuirostris in the subspecies updates was merely an oversight which will be immediately fixed. In regards to the English name, Ng et al use “Slender-billed Cuckoo-Dove” for M. tenuirostris presumably because this species tentatively includes borneensis and they may have felt that Philippine Cuckoo-Dove would no longer be appropriate under that circumstance. But the name Slender-billed Cuckoo-Dove for M. tenuirostris, though an accurate translation of the species epithet, risks confusion with the historical use of that name for Macropygia amboinensis (sensu lato). The fact that now Borneo may be included in the range doesn’t deter us from retaining Philippine Cuckoo-Dove for this species for clarity. The name may not be exactly precise in reflecting the species range, but there is at least one other “Philippine” taxon whose range includes areas beyond the Philippines (Philippine Megapode). Besides, the inclusion of borneensis by Ng et al in tenuirostris is only provisional (see page. 23). It would seem inappropriate to change from the well-established Philippine Cuckoo-Dove for M. tenuirostris until this is settled.

IOC notes for 6.2 (Draft)
"Retain English name Philippine Cuckoo-Dove to avoid confusion with historical name of amboinensis and to await firm inclusion of borneensis in this species."

• Macropygia [amboinensis] amboinensis - Amboyna Cuckoo Dove

Another question, but regarding spelling. IOC has choosen "Amboya Cuckoo-Dove" rather than "Amboyna Cuckoo-Dove". In the Helm Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names" is says re amboinensis "Amboina or Amboyna, Moluccas, Dutch East Indies (=Ambon, Indonesia)".

So why Amboya?

Another question, but regarding spelling. IOC has choosen "Amboya Cuckoo-Dove" rather than "Amboyna Cuckoo-Dove". In the Helm Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names" is says re amboinensis "Amboina or Amboyna, Moluccas, Dutch East Indies (=Ambon, Indonesia)".

So why Amboya?

typo. Apologies w thanks

TiF Update April 11, 2016

The remaining splits are based on Ng et al. (2016).
•Slender-billed Cuckoo-Dove, Macropygia amboinensis, has been split into Sultan's Cuckoo-Dove, Macropygia doreya, and Amboyna Cuckoo-Dove, Macropygia amboinensis.
•Bar-necked Cuckoo-Dove, Macropygia magna, has been split into Flores Sea Cuckoo-Dove, Macropygia macassariensis, Timor Cuckoo-Dove, Macropygia magna, and Tanimbar Cuckoo-Dove, Macropygia timorlaoensis.
•Enggano Cuckoo-Dove, Macropygia cinnamomea, and Barusan Cuckoo Dove, Macropygia modiglianii, have been split from Ruddy Cuckoo-Dove, Macropygia emiliana.
•The subspecies borneensis has been moved from Ruddy Cuckoo-Dove, Macropygia emiliana, to Philippine Cuckoo-Dove, Macropygia tenuirostris.

Since 2016, at least based on the Clements spreadsheets I have.
OK, yes, it seems it is in the checklists, but was never mentioned in the update pages:
'The Clements Checklist 2016 updates & corrections provides details (including references) for all species splits and lumps, new species descriptions, revisions to subspecies groups (ISSFs) or subspecies, and other changes relevant to the Clements Checklist. We refer anyone wishing to learn more about these splits to that page.'
but no mention therein.
So unless you go through the checklist line by line you are not going to know, as far as I can see. As with the shortwing, there is not mention of this taxon in IOC. And it hasn't been discussed within this forum other than Richard Klim's original comment 'tax nov [Palawan]'

OK, yes, it seems it is in the checklists, but was never mentioned in the update pages:
'The Clements Checklist 2016 updates & corrections provides details (including references) for all species splits and lumps, new species descriptions, revisions to subspecies groups (ISSFs) or subspecies, and other changes relevant to the Clements Checklist. We refer anyone wishing to learn more about these splits to that page.'
but no mention therein.
So unless you go through the checklist line by line you are not going to know, as far as I can see. As with the shortwing, there is not mention of this taxon in IOC. And it hasn't been discussed within this forum other than Richard Klim's original comment 'tax nov [Palawan]'
In 2016, two spreadsheets existed, a Clements list and an Ebird list. The undescribed species were only a part of the second list while the updates and corrections page is specifically for the Clements list.

Disclaimer: this is my understanding of the situation, I am not part of Cornell and not writing on their behalf.
Niels

In 2016, two spreadsheets existed, a Clements list and an Ebird list. The undescribed species were only a part of the second list while the updates and corrections page is specifically for the Clements list.

Disclaimer: this is my understanding of the situation, I am not part of Cornell and not writing on their behalf.
Niels
That sounds right to me. I believe that 2016 was the first year that they did that (although I might not have noticed in earlier years). I didn't download both of them in 2016 but I did in 2017 and the two spreadsheets look identical to me -- same number of rows anyway.

However the two spreadsheets for 2021 are not the same, and I think that was the original plan. The "Ebird-Clements" checklist includes lines for undescribed forms and also vaguer concepts such as "gull sp." and "Cookilaria petrel sp." which are useful for birders but have less of a scientific basis.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back