• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Macro Ring Lite setup (1 Viewer)

Eos9

United Kingdom
I shall probably be looking to get a Macro Ring Lite to use with my Canon Eos1 mk4 + 100mm Macro lens and after reading the reports on the MR14 EX Macro Ring Lite will be taking a closer look at getting one this weekend.
I would however appreciate a little advice on what tends to work best with this combination regarding set up etc.
I shall be using it to photograph Butterflies , Orchids etc and in the past have used both flash and camera in manual mode.
I have typically set the camera to say 1/250th sec and f16 and adjusted the power output on the flash to get a correct exposure.
The MR14 however is a step up from what I have previously used and I wonder if this is still the best way to achieve best results.
As is common with Ring Lites the Flash can be adjusted either side and I would appreciate any feedback as to what setup tends to work best for this particular set-up.

Many Thanks

I replied in your other thread but thought I may as well copy it here as well:

I have a Sigma ring flash and regret buying it, I find the light very hard to diffuse properly.
If I was buying now I'd go for a normal speedlight on a bracket so I could get proper diffusers for it.
If you still want to get a ringflash I'd have a look at the Sigma, it does everything you need cheaper than the Canon

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back