• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lyre-tailed Honeyguide, Ghana (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Lyre-tailed Honeyguide Melichneutes robustus

In prep for a forthcoming trip and noticed that this bird is not in the Helm, fieldguide at all either 1st or 2nd ed whilst it is given as being 'regular' in Ghana in other resources.

Anyone suggest why, am I just being dim?

Don't know the answer but if it helps:
  • 'Birds of the World' describes the range as Sierra Leone to Cameroon, DRC & West Uganda;
  • 'All the Birds of the World' range maps do not show it present in Ghana - Ivory Coast being the closest;
  • ebird agrees with the above - south west Ivory Coast being as close to Ghana as it gets.

• 'Birds of the World' describes the range as Sierra Leone to Cameroon, DRC & West Uganda;
  • 'All the Birds of the World' range maps do not show it present in Ghana - Ivory Coast being the closest;
  • ebird agrees with the above - south west Ivory Coast being as close to Ghana as it gets.
This includes Ghana.

So ignoring Ghana, what is the given range SE of there because if it is given in Ivory Coast and many points SE of there, it would be really strange if it skipped Ghana?

Two separate populations:
1. Guinea-Bissau / Guinea / Liberia border & into SW Ivory Coast;
2. much larger area encompassing S Cameroon / Gabon / Congo / N & C DRC / extreme S Chad.

ebird sort of agrees, but more limited with clusters in:
W Liberia / E Liberia & SW Ivory Coast / SW & SE Cameroon / NW Gabon / W Congo & a few spots in DRC - presumably reflecting where reports come in from.

Birdlife range maps also agree with the disjunct populations & none close to Ghana.

Best text I've been able to find just now is https://web.archive.org/web/20220225150227id_/https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/partpdf/309854 ("The avifauna of Ghana: additions and corrections Robert J. Dowsett , Frangoise Dowsett-Lemaire and Andrew Hester"):

"One was reportedly seen at Nkwanta, Ankasa and "the distinctive trumpeting display" heard once at Boin-Tano, presumably in August 1989 (Dutson
& Branscombe 1990). G. Dutson (in litt. 2007) informs us that this was not his record (we have been unable to contact J. Branscombe). NtiamoaBaidu et al. (2000a) list it as present at one forest site, without giving details. No-one else has reported this pecies, and so we believe the records remain to be confirmed."

So looks like its presence there should be considered hypothetical, and I'll remove it from the Scythebill checklists. Thanks!

I suspect this refers to the same information that Adam provided for us.
Birdlife and xeno canto maps derive from natureserve data. However, they've since diverged. Xeno canto maps get updated by (expert) users I think. I find xeno canto a good quick general range check, quicker and easier to use than alternatives

Users who are viewing this thread

Back