• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Luscinia megarhynchos baehrmanni Eck, 1975 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Luscinia megarhynchos baehrmanni Eck, 1975 OD Eck, S. Über die Nachtigallen (Luscinia megarhynchos) Mittel- und Südosteuropas. Beiträge zur Vogelkunde, 21: 21-30. See p. 29 (not seen)

Note Zoonomen here
Eck, S. Eine neue Subspezies der Nachtigall, Luscinia megarhynchos (Aves, Turdidae). Zool. Abh. Staatl. Mus. Tierk. Dresden, 33: 223-224. See p. 223.
Note: the Beitr. Vogelk. Paper has priority.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Common Nightingale ssp. Luscinia megarhynchos baehrmanni Eck, 1975 NCR [NUI Luscinia megarhynchos megarhynchos]
Dr Rudolf Bährmann (b.1932) is a German entomologist and ecologist who was Professor at the Institute of Ecology, University of Jena, Germany.

The Key to Scientific Names
Prof. Dr Rudolf Bährmann (b. 1932) German entomologist, ecologist (syn. Luscinia megarhynchos).

More on him here or here. As he is still listed as honorary member of the Entomofaunistische Gesellschaft e. V. I assume he is still going strong.

Common Nightingale ssp. Luscinia megarhynchos baehrmanni Eck, 1975 NCR [NUI Luscinia megarhynchos megarhynchos]
Dr Rudolf Bährmann (b.1932) is a German entomologist and ecologist who was Professor at the Institute of Ecology, University of Jena, Germany.
Prof. Dr Rudolf Bährmann (b. 1932) German entomologist, ecologist (syn. Luscinia megarhynchos).

To which extent is this dedication confirmed ?
I'm asking because, with Eck the author and without having seen the OD, my guess would have been: Dr. Udo Bährmann, 1893-1979, German ornithologist.

Cf. (references taken from Eck's obituary) -
  • Eck S. 1968. Udo Bährmann zum 75. Geburtstag. Zool. Abh. Mus. Tierkd. Dresden, 29: V-VI.
  • Eck S. 1971 [= 1973 ?]. Wir gratulieren Udo Bährmann zum 80. Geburtstag. Falke, 20: 422-423.
  • Eck S. 1979. Udo Bährmann zum Gedenken. Falke, 26: 355.

Last edited:
He was an engineer. The spelling of the surname in this record isn't quite right but the rest is...
Worth checking to see if he was married to an Eva Betty Margarite

Arnold Erwin Kurt Udo Bährmann1894-1979
Birth Date:29 Okt 1894 (29 Oct 1894)
Marriage Date:21 Dez 1920 (21 Dec 1920)

Attachments

• 41911_prep812_000499-00148.jpg
    41911_prep812_000499-00148.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
He was an engineer.
See also https://www.thalia.de/autor/udo+bährmann-201494/
Udo Bährmann
Dr. Udo Bärmann, verstorben 1979, Jahrgang 1893, Ingenieurstudium; Ornithologe aus Passion; Autodidakt und Studium bei Otto Kleinschmidt, dem Begründer der Neuen Brehm-Bücherei; Spezialisierung auf vergleichende Morphologie; umfangreiche Balg- und Skelettsammlung (jetzt im Naturkundemuseum Dresden); von 1913 bis zu seinem Tode 1997 ornithologische Artikel; Ehrendoktorwürde der Humboldt-Universität Berlin.

Here, he is presented as born in Jerichow, 30 Dec 1893, deceased in Lauchhammer, 2 Apr 1979. (There is a "Dr.-Udo-Bährmann-Straße" in Lauchhammer.)

Last edited:
Luscinia megarhynchos baehrmanni Eck, 1975 OD Eck, S. Über die Nachtigallen (Luscinia megarhynchos) Mittel- und Südosteuropas. Beiträge zur Vogelkunde, 21: 21-30. See p. 29 (not seen)

Note Zoonomen here

More on him here or here. As he is still listed as honorary member of the Entomofaunistische Gesellschaft e. V. I assume he is still going strong.
This form was named for Udo Bährmann (1893-1979), German engineer and significant hobby ornithologist, who was in contact with Siegfried Eck. More on him see e.g. here: Bährmann, Udo.
Best regards,
Jiří Mlíkovský

Note Zoonomen here
In this publication no hint if Udo Bährmann. I think requires the second publication mentioned in Zoonomen.

... the second publication mentioned in Zoonomen.

Zoonomen [my blue]:
Luscinia megarhynchos bährmanni Eck, 1975
Eck, S. Über die Nachtigallen (Luscinia megarhynchos) Mittel- und Südosteuropas. Beitr. Vogelk., 21: 21-30. See p. 29

Also: Luscinia megarhynchos bährmanni Eck, 1975
Eck, S. Eine neue Subspezies der Nachtigall, Luscinia megarhynchos (Aves, Turdidae). Zool. Abh. Staatl. Mus. Tierk. Dresden, 33: 223-224. See p. 223.

Note: the Beitr. Vogelk. Paper has priority.
[Does it?]

To me it looks like the "second publication" was (at least intended as) the very first one ... or?

Google Snippet views:
  • Beiträge zur Vogelkunde, Vol.21 (here) : "Aus dem Staatlichen Museum für Tierkunde in Dresden"
  • Zoologische Abhandlungen, Vol.33 ... (here), Udo B. seems to be present in this volume (here), if also in the OD itself I cannot tell.
/B

• Zoologische Abhandlungen, Vol.33 ... (here), Udo B. seems to be present in this volume (here), if also in the OD itself I cannot tell.

Google doesn't want to show a snippet with the dedication, but it appears to say (p. 223; e.g., see here):
[...] und sollen deshalb als Luscinia megarhynchos bährmanni ssp. n. abgetrennt werden. Ich widme sie dem durch seine subtilen morphologischen Untersuchungen hochgeschätzten Ornithologen Dr. h. c. UDO BÄHRMANN (Lauchhammer).
(= [...] and should therefore be separated as Luscinia megarhynchos bährmanni subspecies nova. I dedicate them to the ornithologist, highly prized for his subtle morphological researches, Doctor honoris causa UDO BÄHRMANN (Lauchhammer).)​

Last edited:
Well done, Laurent (y), thus Udo Bährmann seems to be "our guy"!

Once again it proves that it's always, always recommended to start with a check of the OD itself.

Stay safe!

bährmanni/baehrmanni ... over and out.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back