• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Low-end Binoculars (1 Viewer)

jeda2000

I am a financially limited birder with a family to support. I currently own a pair of Pentax PCF V 8x40 bins, which I purchased for about $95. They have BAK4 prisms and super-multi-coated lenses. I have been using them for about a year and I think they work fine. Images are clear and bright and the eye relief is perfect since I wear glasses.

I am trying to lure my family into birding, but it's tough with only one pair of bins to pass around. If I can manage to get another pair, would it be a waste to get another low-end model? There are several models from Pentax & Nikon in the $80-120 range. Should I wait until I can jump to the next level? And how far would I have to jump to see a difference - $200-300? More?...

Any input would be appreciated...

8-P

Hi Jeda

well a cheapish pair of bins is better than no pair at all!!
You might want to try out a few pairs to see if YOU THINK the jump is worthwhile.

Personally the difference between £100 and £300 pair is quite clear to me but it is a personal thing. You might want to check out the second hand market when you might pick up a bargain.

Can't help you with models since I'm unaware what's available over there.

oh and welcome to the forum if I haven't said it before.

CHeck out eBay! Lots of bargains at the low end, and you might get something you couldn't otherwise afford. I have never been diappointed and I've bought my last four pairs that way.

Jeda
If you want an astonishingly low priced pair have a look at the Eyetx range at
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=777_3_307

£15 - about $10 for a pair of 8 x 40's with BAK prisms etc etc. I've bought a couple of pairs and plenty of people are reselling them on E-Bay for double their original price - I think they are remarkable value for money and in terms of build quality they are very little different from my dad's Opticrons which cost £150...

John Fleet

Jeda2000:

A pair of budget 8x40 porro prism glasses can provied a lot of birding enjoyment and they won't be much short of expensive bins when it comes to identifying birds except perhaps in low light. I have Nikon 8x40 Egret and they offer good sharpness, excellent contrast, and an excellent DOF. (Sharpness, contrast and brightness are roughly same as Leica 8x32 BN. Of course the Nikon image has more distortion, and other defects. But that puts them into context.) The Bushnell H2O 8x40 are also supposed to be excellent for the money (well reviewed in UK magazine). The Swift Audunon 8.5x44 is repute to be very good but a lot more expensive than the Bushnell and the Nikon and they are rather bulky.

Be aware that roof prism bins tend to be more expensive for a given optical performance as they are harder to make. However they are easier to waterproof and lots of people prefer the shape.

BTW The Sierra Trading Post in the US often have very good deals. A search in Google will get the URL.

Last edited:
I have two cheap pairs, and I actually prfefer the cheaper roof prisms to slightly more expensive porros.

The Pentax 8x25 UCF X are inexpensive and get great reviews. I own the 8x24 UCF WR model (similar, but water resistant). They are fine, although the 13 eye relief prevents me from seeing the entire view with glasses. The 8x25 UCF X model has an eye relief of 15, which would be slightly better. This is not a big problem for eyeglass wearers, because even 13 is acceptable (a lot of compact models have 10 and even less, and give a very restricted view).

For full-sized glasses, I think the 8x40 PCF V model that you have is great. I have a pair and like them a lot, although I prefer to use the compacts for birding. During the day, I do not find that the lower brightness in the compact models is a problem.

try the opticron 8x40 zwcf aspheric super bins for the money £70 or less

nikon egret 8x40 'as good as leica 8x32 bn's yea right !

gripper said:
try the opticron 8x40 zwcf aspheric super bins for the money £70 or less

nikon egret 8x40 'as good as leica 8x32 bn's yea right !

I never said the Nikons were as good. The brightness and centre field resolution are comparable, contrast is excellent, the field of view and the depth of field are better and there is less chromatic aberration. However the Nikon image suffers from a lot of distortion and softness away from the centre, so the Leica image is far more pleasing. And of course the Leica's are much more compact, more comfortable to hold, focus closer, and are waterproof. The Leicas may have excellent optics, but their objectives are much smaller.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back