• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for local guide (1 Viewer)

dan78

Hi there
Iam travelling to morrocco in august this year, and am looking for a guide for two, maybe three days, can anyone point me in the right direction, as the tour company's online, tend to specify only holidays , i am staying in adama for 14 nights , with my family so , a guide for just a couple of days would be needed
Thanks in advance
Dan

I can't really help regarding a guide in Morocco but....I salute you on visiting southern Morocco in August. I'm sure you know its going to be extremely hot - like 35 -40ºC plus every day - away from a swimming pool and AC at the resort and out in the sticks it is a challenge- However, I have visited the Atlas and northern Sahara in August 3 times (long story!) and realised I wasn't as crazy as I suspected - managed excellent birding. You should certainly get up to Oukaïmeden in the high Atlas - its easy from Marrakesh and it will get cooler and cooler as you go up there. I found that at high altitude all the sought after passerines were easily seen and most species were common - eg Atlas Shore Lark, Moussier's Redstart, Seehbom's Wheatear etc.

The Merzouga area and other well known areas in the northern Sahara and near Agadir brought great birding too though would be a bit long haul for day trips from Marrakesh.

So - as you are going in arguably the most difficult time of year I think you will find the birding surprisingly productive. If you use a guide, insist in very early starts to arrive at birding locations around dawn or soon after. I'm sure any guides out there would welcome the business - they mustn't have many trips to do in August I imagine. By mid-morning the heat is a challenge for anyone but you can acclimatise with some determination!

Last edited:
I agree about what Simon said. While you are near Marrakech, visiting Oukaïmeden is a must, and would add that you should try to use the ski-lift (if still operational at this time of year, not sure) as some of the Atlas Mountains specialties (e.g. African Crimson-winged Finch, Atlas Shore Lark) become a bit harder to find at Oukaïmeden itself. Ourika valley is also good and should be visited with Oukaïmeden.

You can do it by yourself, but if you want the help of a local guide, try contacting the following people:

- Mohamed Zaki: phone 212 666 9392 56, email: [email protected]

- Mohamed Ait Tadrart: email: [email protected]

You can see here the recommendation of Mohamed Zaki by a Canadian birder:
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1938769&postcount=2

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back