• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking at Binoculars in Pennsylvania (1 Viewer)

Gretchen

Hi all,

I always notice a good number of PA residents in this part of the forum, so I figure this is a good place to ask about stores to look at bins in.

I'll be in PA (and possibly other parts of east coast - NYC?) and am really interested to go some place where I can see various brands and models of binoculars. I'm in the early stages of buying a new pair, and have looked through very few. I've read a certain amount on here and other places, but haven't had enough experience actually trying out different bins to know what I really want. Any places which keep a good stock which you recommend visiting?

Thanks!

Thanks both!

Steve - I'm surely going to State College, so this is perfect and sounds like a great place. Sorry, I missed one point - do they sell both used and new or all used?

Ed - I may make NYC, but that is less sure. Thanks for reminding me of the must-go-to place there!

Any other places?

Last edited:
I can second Steve's recommendation of the Lost Creek Shoe Shop. Especially if you want to try out the binoculars outside under real life conditions rather than inside under fluorescent lights. Quite an interesting store, decent prices, and they will take trade-ins.

They do sell new and used. I think that most of the Swarovski hardware in central PA comes from there.

Mike

Hi Gretchen, LCSS sells both used and new and have quite a few on hand. They take credit cards, but you have to wait while they go next door to use someone's phone.;) I work in State College.

I see Mike and I were replying about the same time. They did give me a good price for my Swaro trade-in, more than I payed for it new.

Last edited:
Gretchen,

A side note, if you are going to be in State College in the near future, they have been seeing Nelson's Sparrows just down the road at Colyer Lake Recreation Area. It's been a very good Fall for Nelson's Sparrows in PA.

Mike

Lost Creek Shoe Store is the best place! The best collection of quality bins and the best viewing conditions. They also gave me a good deal on my trade. Cabela's in Hamburg also has a decent collection, although their collection has dwindle lately.

You could probably visit Lost Creek and Honey Creek in the same day and and still have time to go birding at Colyer Lake if you didn't get caught up trying out binoculars. But why rush things?

Bob

Last edited:
You could probably visit Lost Creek and Honey Creek in the same day and and still have time to go birding at Colyer Lake if you didn't get caught up trying out binoculars. But why rush things?

Bob

:-O :-O yes, well I'm not exactly on vacation - really not leisurely at all, but I thought I would steal a few hours to look at binoculars if passing through (between State College and Philly).

Thanks for all the ideas! (I had wondered if there was much to put hands on at Cabela's so that's useful info too).

:-O :-O yes, well I'm not exactly on vacation - really not leisurely at all, but I thought I would steal a few hours to look at binoculars if passing through (between State College and Philly).

Thanks for all the ideas! (I had wondered if there was much to put hands on at Cabela's so that's useful info too).

I don't think you can get to all three of them in one day but you can easily visit Hawk Mountain Sanctuary (It's migration season there now) and Cabelas on the same day. They are only 10 miles apart. And the Hawk Mountain Store sells binoculars also. Pick up some binocular raffle tickets there and maybe win a binocular this fall!:king: Then head east on I-78 to Allentown and take the PA Turnpike to Philly.

http://www.hawkmountain.org/

http://www.hawkmountain.org/join-or-give/other-ways-of-giving/hawk-mountain-raffle/page.aspx?id=381

Bob

Last edited:
Honey Creek Bill and Beak is in Lewistown right off Rt 322. It's actually part of our optical shop. My wife is an optometrist who is very tolerant of my outdoor part off the shop. The Reedsville address is where it's registered (our house).
If you want to look at Swarovski, then please come see us, we stock all models of bins and spotting scopes. Even the hard to find porro bins and extendable scopes.
For more variety, Lost Creek is the place to go. That's where I looked through my first Swarovski and the "Wow" factor was strong enough to commit a chunk of our shop space to carrying the brand.
I still get shoes there.

Gordon

Last edited:
Nice to have more ideas.

Thanks for the invite Proudpapa - not very sure I'm up for Swaros, but I'll keep it in mind.

Bob, I've never been to Hawk Mountain and never thought about them for binoculars - what kind of selection do they have?

Nice to have more ideas.

Thanks for the invite Proudpapa - not very sure I'm up for Swaros, but I'll keep it in mind.

Bob, I've never been to Hawk Mountain and never thought about them for binoculars - what kind of selection do they have?

Not large but there are a variety. Perhaps 15 or 20. They don't push their sales but you can see them in the case behind the counter. They change yearly as they are purchased. They have Swarovskis and Leicas and Nikons and a year or so ago they had some Kowas. Years ago I bought a Swift 8.5 x 44 HR/5 there at a 10% member discount and a few years later I compared a Swarovski 8.5 x 42 with a Swift 8.5 x 44 HHS roof prism on some squirrels and birds in a nearby feeder.

Most of the Interns who work there seem to use Nikon Monarchs.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back