• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Local Reserve Closing To The Public!!?? (2 Viewers)

What about Languard Point and Felixstone Docks, is Minsmere to close to Sizewell, hasn't the world become a safer place in the last few years. A least the birds are still free, I hope.

Mick

Firstly, let me say that the Seaforth pools were excavated as potential expansion for the port and that MDHC (the owners) has every legal right to do with the area what they want. There was serious talk about filling in the pools when the Freeport was declared for example. While that should not stop us fighting any change of use, it does put us in a poor position.

Secondly, I'm sending a letter to MDHC. I've put it below (and yes, I've pinched some of the points already made). If anyone wants to amend it and send it themselves, feel free. They may recognise that the letter is reused, but the fact that people bother to print it out, stick it in an envelope and post it does make a difference (whereas petitions are ignored as 50% of people sign just because they're asked, not because they care).

Terry Kelly
Port Safety & Environmental Manager
The Mersey Docks & Harbour Company
Maritime Centre
Port of Liverpool
L21 1LA
United Kingdom

Dear Sir,
I am writing to tell you how disappointed I am to hear the access to Seaforth Local Nature Reserve within the Liverpool Freeport is to be severely restricted, supposedly to help counter a perceived terrorist threat.

Leaving aside the fact that the reserve will become effectively inaccessible to most people (including myself on my visits home) I feel the decision is the wrong one for several reasons.

Firstly, it is a victory for the terrorists, whose aim is to disrupt normal life and make ordinary everyday activities more difficult.

Secondly, it is an over-reaction. I know from personal experience that the security has not been tight enough - I have never been stopped on my way in or out while on foot and never been questioned when in a vehicle. To go from this to effectively banning entry is extreme.

Thirdly, you are actually missing an opportunity to improve security. If you introduced some form of permit system or photo ID allowing birdwatchers and anglers to enter the area then you have a large number of vigilant observers who would be able to alert the authorities if something was amiss. I believe that similar systems have been put in place in some airports allowing planespotters to carry on with their activities.

I hope that you will be persuaded to reconsider your decision.

Mike Pennington said:
Firstly, let me say that the Seaforth pools were excavated as potential expansion for the port and that MDHC (the owners) has every legal right to do with the area what they want. There was serious talk about filling in the pools when the Freeport was declared for example. While that should not stop us fighting any change of use, it does put us in a poor position.

Secondly, I'm sending a letter to MDHC. I've put it below (and yes, I've pinched some of the points already made). If anyone wants to amend it and send it themselves, feel free. They may recognise that the letter is reused, but the fact that people bother to print it out, stick it in an envelope and post it does make a difference (whereas petitions are ignored as 50% of people sign just because they're asked, not because they care).

Terry Kelly
Port Safety & Environmental Manager
The Mersey Docks & Harbour Company
Maritime Centre
Port of Liverpool
L21 1LA
United Kingdom

Dear Sir,
I am writing to tell you how disappointed I am to hear the access to Seaforth Local Nature Reserve within the Liverpool Freeport is to be severely restricted, supposedly to help counter a perceived terrorist threat.

Leaving aside the fact that the reserve will become effectively inaccessible to most people (including myself on my visits home) I feel the decision is the wrong one for several reasons.

Firstly, it is a victory for the terrorists, whose aim is to disrupt normal life and make ordinary everyday activities more difficult.

Secondly, it is an over-reaction. I know from personal experience that the security has not been tight enough - I have never been stopped on my way in or out while on foot and never been questioned when in a vehicle. To go from this to effectively banning entry is extreme.

Thirdly, you are actually missing an opportunity to improve security. If you introduced some form of permit system or photo ID allowing birdwatchers and anglers to enter the area then you have a large number of vigilant observers who would be able to alert the authorities if something was amiss. I believe that similar systems have been put in place in some airports allowing planespotters to carry on with their activities.

I hope that you will be persuaded to reconsider your decision.
Mike i :clap: your point and yes it is better than a petition. so will copy and send one and hope it helps.
bert

Hi,

i recently learned, that the decision to make this reserve off-limits to the public, is part of an over-all decision filtered down from the US Government requiring the various governments of the world to tighten all Docks/Port security.

tracker

tracker,what is the actual situation on visiting the place,I havent spoken to Steve White the warden for a while,how much notice do you have to give,can you phone in the morning and go in the afternoon..ill have to drop him a line to clarify things a bit
andy

Hi Andy,

You need to be a part of a group, ie RSPB member etc......and arrangement is made at least 7 days in advance. The groups request is put to the Port Police/ Dock Company.
This requirement doesnt really satisfy birdings' spontaneity.

tracker

tracker said:
Hi,

i recently learned, that the decision to make this reserve off-limits to the public, is part of an over-all decision filtered down from the US Government requiring the various governments of the world to tighten all Docks/Port security.

tracker
???? Erm... er... I remember going to the polls recently... I think I remember the British government being involved somewhere on the local level... I'm sure I remember the European government being involved. Don't remember anything about the American government though... ???? :stuck:

Spoke to steve this morning,apparently its been absolute chaos on the docks the last couple of days,he even said he isnt sure he will be allowed in from one day to the next!
It sounds hopeless for the forseable future im afraid,he has managed to obtain a few photo ids for likes of staff,reserve workers etc (port passes),but doesnt know what the situation will be down the line,,he is in negotiations with the dock board but it may take a while to sort this out (months),Im no longer a regular down their,although I do still visit when I can (I like to have the option) so im not sure were I will be in the pecking order if and when permits are issued (I wouldnt expect any preferential treatment,people who go down frequently should be first in line)..I suppose its like anything,if something is taken away you want it more..

Also what he did say is the days of "mass twitches" on the reserve are a thing of the past,so I dont think much news will be coming out of the place anymore..

Bluetail said:
???? Erm... er... I remember going to the polls recently... I think I remember the British government being involved somewhere on the local level... I'm sure I remember the European government being involved. Don't remember anything about the American government though... ???? :stuck:

It was the warden of this reserve who told me this was related to US government policy. Point is, does it really matter where the instructions originated from?

tracker

tracker said:
It was the warden of this reserve who told me this was related to US government policy. Point is, does it really matter where the instructions originated from?

tracker
I suspect it does, as, if all goes well, the person issuing the instructions will be out on their ear in six months . . .

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
I suspect it does, as, if all goes well, the person issuing the instructions will be out on their ear in six months . . .

Michael

Yet, Michael.........we all know this isnt from grass roots authorities. Where this is from, people are generally 'untouchable' specially when its in the name of 'home security'.
The idea of being put 'out on their ear' still would be a nice idea. Cant see it though.

tracker

It really is pathetic isn't it. Remember the hoohaa about the ship in Greece a while back that was full of explosives or something. The Greek "Special forces" took the ship and it was on the news all the time then it all went quiet.
What a bunch of prats we have in our security services!

What did happen to the ship in Greece?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back