• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Limburg Netherlands - Eared (Black-necked) Grebe or....? (1 Viewer)

Bertus

Netherlands
My thread of 16-03-24 showed a Horned (Slavonian) Grebe on the same freshwaterlake. On this distance I can't focus well enough. Still by enlarging and many different pics I think one can distinguish an Eared Grebe here from a Horned Grebe. Is that correct? Then I wonder if the one behind on pic 2 is a juvenile, a female, or a male still in winterdress. Tnx for your help

Attachments

• DSC09128 copy.JPG
    DSC09128 copy.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC09137 copy.JPG
    DSC09137 copy.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC09147 copy.JPG
    DSC09147 copy.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC09152 copy.JPG
    DSC09152 copy.JPG
    9 KB · Views: 28
These are Black-necked Grebes, Bertus. Slavonian is mostly tied to the coast in NL.

Are you using waarneming.nl per chance? It is by far the most used website for recording bird sightings in the Netherlands. When entering records there, there are very capable admins around to correct and confirm your ID's.... By all means feel free to post here (too) of course.

cheers,
Gerben

These are Black-necked Grebes, Bertus. Slavonian is mostly tied to the coast in NL

Are you using waarneming.nl per chance? It is by far the most used website for recording bird sightings in the Netherlands. When entering records there, there are very capable admins around to correct and confirm your ID's.

cheers,
Gerben
Tnx Gerben (and Butty), shame I can't get closer. Yes I do waarneming.nl, that is how I knew these somewhat special species are there. I guess you are Dutch speaking. It was here: Heel - WML plas (Langven) (LI) What is your name on waarneming.nl? Cheers

They are returning to the key areas around Groningen too at the moment.
Yes, my observation/waarneming is in my signature.

cheers,
Gerben

If these are all of the same two birds, they're both black-necked grebes - plumage + bill-shape.
Tnx Butty, and could you say perhaps if the one behind on pic 2 is a juvenile, or an adult still in winterdress? The one in the front should be an adult in summer plumage right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back