• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesvos 2016 (1 Viewer)

Has been posted on FaceBook, on Lesvos thread, that this is correct. Full set of flights fromMcr next year. Doesn't give start date.

Phil

Lesvos via Manchester 2017

Has been posted on FaceBook, on Lesvos thread, that this is correct. Full set of flights fromMcr next year. Doesn't give start date.

Phil

For the record, at this time Phil, Lesvos still does not appear as an option for booking on the TC on line program.
Best
Mick

For the record, at this time Phil, Lesvos still does not appear as an option for booking on the TC on line program.
Best
Mick

Just passing on that its mentioned on FB. I will be using the scheduled option personally and those flights are not listed yet either.

Phil

Last edited:
I know Phil, thanks anyway.
If you notice anything else, please let us know.
Thanks
Mick

Mick
Likewise please. There will be more bookings on Aegean this year I suspect with the uncertainty of Thomas Cook. All in all not good for the island, especially if the early birders flights are not available. Must say that apart from this year I have always done Aegean from Heathrow so no worries for me with that option.

Phil

Has Autumn Migration has started ?

Eleni Galinou reports at Kalloni Salt Pans yesterday 07/08/16, the following singles :

a juvenile Montagu's harrier (Circus pygargus)
and a Temminck's Stint (Calidris temminckii)

18th August 2016

Eleni Galinou reports on her Lesvos Bird News Facebook page, at Kalloni Salt Pans today, the following :
"This late morning (18/8) during a quick pass between Tsiknias River and the Kalloni Pans (hedgerows and irrigated fields): 2 ROLLERS, 8 Bee-eaters, 1 GREAT REED WARBLER, 1 WILLOW WARBLER, 5 RED-BACKED, 2 Woodchat and 2 LESSER GREY SHRIKES and at the Kalloni Pans canal a TEMMINCKS STINT together with 3 Little Stints."

Eleni Galinou reports on her Lesvos Bird News Facebook page, at Kalloni Salt Pans today, the following :
"This late morning (18/8) during a quick pass between Tsiknias River and the Kalloni Pans (hedgerows and irrigated fields): 2 ROLLERS, 8 Bee-eaters, 1 GREAT REED WARBLER, 1 WILLOW WARBLER, 5 RED-BACKED, 2 Woodchat and 2 LESSER GREY SHRIKES and at the Kalloni Pans canal a TEMMINCKS STINT together with 3 Little Stints."

How I wish I was there!

Lesvos 2017 Thomas Cook
The following message has been posted on Facebook.
Although I cannot vouch for it's authenticity, I have no reason to doubt it either:

<[email protected]>
Date: 17 August 2016 at 13:38:33 BST

Dear

Thank you for your feedback regarding Thomas Cook Airline flights to Lesbos.

I am pleased to advise that we will be offering flights from Birmingham to Lesbos for summer 2017. We should see these seats loaded on to our system and ready to book in the next few weeks.

Please view flight availability at www.thomascookairlines.com

Kind regards,

Thomas Cook
Customer Relations

Further signs of Autumn migration.

Eleni reports some whinchats, bee-eaters and cretzschmar's buntings passing through the Kalloni Salt Pans over the past few days ( up to 25/08/16).

Also reported by a birder today 25/08/16:
"Red-necked phalarope. Today at Kalloni saltpans south. Great bird on our third day on the island! Along with 4 dalmatian pelicans and a lot of other waterbirds.
Yesterday 2 cinereous bunting at Vigla.
Masked shrikes at Faneronemi and Napi valley"

Lesvos 2017

Lesvos fans may be interested in the following info from a Lesvos associated web site.
http://www.molyvos.eu/birmingham-to-mytilene-flights/

Lesvos 2017 Thomas Cook
The following message has been posted on Facebook.
Although I cannot vouch for it's authenticity, I have no reason to doubt it either:

<[email protected]>
Date: 17 August 2016 at 13:38:33 BST

Dear

Thank you for your feedback regarding Thomas Cook Airline flights to Lesbos.

I am pleased to advise that we will be offering flights from Birmingham to Lesbos for summer 2017. We should see these seats loaded on to our system and ready to book in the next few weeks.

Please view flight availability at www.thomascookairlines.com

Kind regards,

Thomas Cook
Customer Relations

More Bird News from to-day - 27/08/16

Credit to Lesvos Bird News , Facebook (birders )
"Broad billed sandpiper at Polichnitos saltpans (26.08)
Red-necked phalarope at Kalloni satpans (25.08) along with 4 dalmatian pelecans
Cinereous buntings 2 at Vigla, Ipsilou (24.08)
Cretzschar's buntings near Skala Kallonis and a olivaceous warbler"
a seperate report of:
"rufous bush robin in a garden in Chrousos"
From Eleni on 24/08/16
Morning and Afternoon combined around the Kalloni Pans and Skala Kallonis:
" 2x Monte's, 2 red foots, 1 each of sparrowhawk , common buzzard and st eagle

Last edited:
More Bird News from to-day - 27/08/16

Credit to Lesvos Birders , Facebook (birders )
"AM"
Kalloni Saltpans:
Two Caspian Terns
8 (poss) Dalmatian Pelicans
Roller on wires above cut field - main road from Skala Kalloni to Parakila, just past turning to Potomia Valley
PM
Lotzaria - : Roller , lesser grey,red backed and 1 juv masked shrike.
a number of Tawny pipits, and hoopoes along with usual yellow wags & wheatear

Last edited:
Further reports from this evening 28/08/16 are:
Kalloni saltpans
1 marsh sandpiper, 9 other common wader species,
10 dalmatian pelecans, 26 black storks,
5 spoonbills, slender billed gulls, little terns and other common species.

Mon 29/08/16 continuing reports of incoming migrating birds, from Lesvos Birders Facebook page:
AM
East side of Kalloni saltpans :
Several juvenile little terns.
4 Dalmatians Pelicans,4 Teal, 2 Slender billed gulls, 1 summer plumaged Grey Plover,
12 Spoonbill, a small number of Curlew.
North East Corner of Kalloni Salt Pans.
Several Curlew Sandpipers ,a single Marsh Sandpiper + other common waders.
A further report from to-day:
Skala Kallonis irrigated fields
Short-toed eagle, ca. 50 bee-eaters, a cuckoo, a single common swift, ten short-toed larks,
tawny and tree pipits, a lot of yellow wagtails, whinchats and wheatears, willow warblers and whitethroats.
Cetti's, sardinian and great reed warblers, a huge number of the four shrikes.
Cretz, black-headed and corn buntings

Last edited:
Tues 30th August Facebook reports.

Tsiknias River Ford
Roller
Achladeri
Krupers Nuthatch
great, blue, long tailed and coal tits.
Green, Chaff, Gold finches & 3 Serin also seen.
2 Ravens
Skala Vasilikon
4 Med Gulls along with Black Headed and Yellow Legged Gulls.
Poly Pans
Avocets
Flamingos
Redshank
Little Egret
Kentish Plovers
Black Winged Stilt
Grey Heron
Greenshank
Black Stork
Curlew Sandpiper
Common Sandpiper
Little Ringed Plover
Yellow Legged Gull
Black Headed Gull
Mediterranean Gull
Sandwich Tern
Common Tern
Slender Billed Gull
Little Tern

Thurs 31 August 2016

Eleni reports a roller in the first field on the right, past the Tsiknias Ford when entering the Lotzaria track.
:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back