• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Short-toed Lark - two new sites (2 Viewers)

Today we found a flock of about 12 LSL at Culatra island.

The species had not been recorded there last April, but this flock was in a sector that had not been visited in spring, so it is quite possible that the species breeds on this island as well. I will try to confirm that next year, during the breeding season.

Great. Seems the structure of the vegetation is much more important than the the plant species, much like with Spectacled Warbler (still good to document the plants though). Any of them in the same area?

I have never seen Spectacled at Armona.

BUT:

Last year in April I counted FOUR at Culatra island, of which two at least were singing. There were many migrants present though so I was not certain if those were breeding birds. I am planning to go there next week in order to sort that out - and check if the LSTL are around :)

Breeding of Lesser Short-toed Lark was confirmed this morning on Culatra island, Faro by me and three other birders.
This is the third barrier island in the Algarve where a breeding population of this species is found (after Tavira and Armona islands in 2017).

There were also FIVE singing males of Spectacled Warbler scattered throughout the island.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back