• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser kestrel ? Sardegna (1 Viewer)

kahraba

Quentin
France
Hi all,
two weeks ago in Sardegna, Stintino (NW) - above the steppe behind the house where I stayed, one kestrel drew my attention as a possible Lesser. I took a few photos before it went a little out of sight and all I could see was it met another one, which I could not see properly - if at all... At that moment I heard calls which were typical for (Eurasian) Kestrel and I ruled out Lesser on this criteria...
Nonetheless, one came back and sat on top of a pole and I grabbed my extender to take a shot - not knowing which of the two birds it was.

Now, looking a the pictures I get a very strong feeling for male Lesser Kestrel... It does not have any grey on the upperparts, which is a 1st year feature. Apart from that, it has all the dinky looks of a male Lesser Kestrel. I repeat : I am not sure that the perched bird is the same as the one in flight.

ID_falco.jpg

Any opinions out there ?

I find the wing formula difficult to interpret in most photos. If the lower wing of the top right photo is to be believed, p7 is significantly shorter than p10 which would make it lesser. I think the pointed nature of the black tail band in the same photo also supports this. The head / bill shape in the bottom right is also indicative I think but the quality is such I can't be sure.

I find the wing formula difficult to interpret in most photos. If the lower wing of the top right photo is to be believed, p7 is significantly shorter than p10 which would make it lesser. I think the pointed nature of the black tail band in the same photo also supports this. The head / bill shape in the bottom right is also indicative I think but the quality is such I can't be sure.
I was roundly mocked not long ago for using this feature which according to some, has been discredited?

It's not a straightforward bird anyway, the heavy contrast of inner secondaries (tertials) in the first image as well as the contrast of two different orange-brown coverts on the last image combined with very open face make me think LK sec cal year male, but nothing sure with these pictures (including wing formula)

Thank you all for the answers. A difficult ID ; the distant shots with a lot of heat haze are of little help. Nevertheless, I had hope that someone could confirm my feelings, mainly based on coloration (face, cere, underparts...) and the very limited spotting.
I shall leave this bird unidentified, then !

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back