• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Les Oiseaux en France, 2009 (1 Viewer)

22/03/09

LaGrange, Vianne

113) Short-toed Eagle_________Circaète Jean-le-Blanc
114) Booted Eagle____________Aigle botté

Definite Short-toed this one. Hovering just the other side of the river and not too high up before being moved on by the resident pair of C Crows. Always a smart bird! Reasonable passage of Black Kites, with one dark phase Booted Eagle at medium range. Another excellent bird, only seen a few times from the garden here previously. Sparrowhawk, Common Buzzard, and a distant Red Kite bringing up the half dozen on the raptor fest front.

23/03/09

LaGrange, Vianne

115) Common Redstart________Rougequeue à front blanc

A stunning male seen out of the lounge window, pausing briefly by the pond before passing into the neighbours garden and northwards. First new garden bird of the year.

Last edited:
25/03/09

LaGrange, Vianne

116) Eurasian Treecreeper__________Grimpereau des bois

Bit of a bizarre and unexpected one – was out in the garden when it flew in and landed on one of the plum trees. Saw the wing pattern well and it called like one. Well out of habitat, possibly displaced after all the storm damage to the trees in Les Landes. Second garden tick for the year.

27/03/09

Entre Agen et Vianne....

117) Hoopoe___________Huppe fasciée

3 seen flying together in one of the villages whilst driving to Agen.

Last edited:
29/03/09

Vianne

118) Crested Lark______________Cochevis huppé
119) Whitethroat m____________Fauvette grisette
120) House Martin_____________Hirondelle de fenetre

First real day off for a week and so an opportunity for skygazing (vismig) from the garden…. briskish northerlies of course, so not a great deal happening. The House Martins struggling high up northwards in the breeze, shortly followed by one of the few Sand Martins I’ve actually seen from the garden. Swallows of course, and still a few Chaffinch flocks moving through. Little raptor movement, good to see the local Kites and the ST Eagles again of course. Went for a cycle into the village. Two Crested Larks flew up from wasteground near the cemetery. The Whitethroat was just on the outskirts of the village flying from the mini roundabout to some nearby bushes.

Last edited:
03/04/09

Vianne and area west to Lac de Clarens by bike

121) Greenshank 2 ________________________Chevalier aboyeur
122) Cuckoo _____________________________Coucou geai
123) Lesser-spotted Woodpecker (h)_________Pic épeichette
124) Crested Tit ________________________Mésange huppée
125) Bonelli’s Warbler ___________________Pouillot de Bonelli
126) Green Sandpiper _____________________Chevalier culblanc
127) Woodchat Shrike (probably...)________Pie-grièche à tête rousse

Misty, foggy day. First proper trip out into the area whilst down this time - 4 hours or so. Really emphasised the importance of hearing in bird identification - 5 of the 7 new birds recorded only picked up because I heard them, and even the other 2, call was a critical aid to the id. Quarter of a mile out of the village and walking up a steep hill alerted to the 2 waders flying above me, before the flew into the cloud NE. A dozen or more Cuckoos heard, made a bit of effort and saw one perched up through a gap in the woods. The LSW was heard only, drumming. Time was pressing, the woods were close to private houses, and I didn't want to walk the bike through the brambles, so carried on.

I should have made a turn off soon after I entered the conifer woods - just after I realised this and took a side turning to regain my route heard an unfamiliar call a little like a scratchy sounding blue tit - rewarded briefly after with first view of Crested Tit in a few years. Pressing on to the small lake/large pond in the woods I was aiming for, and came across another 2 in a young plantation with a few other passerines including a Chiffchaff. Approaching the lake itself was met with an unfamiliar warbler flycatching in the evergreen scrubby trees present. Bright white underparts, fairly plain face and bright yellowy green highlights on the wings - realised I was watching my first Bonelli's Warbler in France. Around the lake and came across another 5 - excellent, presumably a mini fall? Alerted to a Green Sandpiper which flew up from the lakeside, but few other birds about. 2 Hoopoe in the woods on the return were nice. Back up near the village of Mongaillard (again pushing the bike) I was startled by a bird flushed out from a hedge by the roadside - all I really saw was a black wing with a bright white patch in the middle and a startled call. Woodchat Shrike seemed to fit, and listening to the call on the mobile seemed to fit this species well too.... unless I can think of anything better later on.... only other bird really of note was a Short-toed Eagle circling around over a field edge quite close to - possibly one I had only seen once before about a week previously from the garden with a missing tail feather.

And 'huppé' possibly means crested in french....

04/04/09

Mid france somewhere...

122) Corn Bunting ________________Bruant proyer

Seen perched on a wire fence whilst we were driving north on the autoroute between Bordeaux and La Rochelle...

05/04/09

Chantonnay, Vendee

129) Little Owl___________________Chouette chevêche
130) Yellowhammer_______________Bruant jaune
131) Red-legged Partridge_________Perdrix rouge

Staying at some friends of the parents at a farmhouse near Chantonnay in the Vendee on our way back to the uk ... out and about with bins, heard the birds mobbing something, and sure enough, an owl flew out of the trees by the house, and across a field to an old tree in the hedgerow. Unfortunately for it (not me), a new set of birds became agitated by its prescence, including a smart male Yellowhammer. An equally (or more so) smart male Hen Harrier then materialised, quartering the ground before passing between us and towards the town and out of sight. A walk around the fields also turned up the Partridges and several nice Cirl Buntings, Chiffchaffs and a male Stonechat. Skylarks singing. All very rural bliss.

Réservoirs à proximité ...

132) Nightingale (h)__________________Rossignol progné
133) Willow Warbler__________________Pouillot fitis

Took the car half an hour away to the reserve at 'Les Cite des Oiseaux' - no new birds, but a reasonable selection of ducks and a Great White Egret. No real evidence of migration either. Looking at the map decided to try out some lake/reservoirs and possibly wilder habitat in the area. First was the Retenue de la Bultiere - a popular walk around the arm of the reservoir which I discovered. However heard a Nightingale singing (did peer into the undergrowth in vain hope of a glimpse), the amorous large fish in the shallows were interesting, and a Cuckoo and a Hoopoe almost duetting on the opposite bank provided a nice backing effort.

Took a look at another reservoir just to the east of Chantonnay. Obviously used for water leisure activities. But at least this one held some waterbirds for a change - 20 plus Great Crested Grebes, BH Gulls and 2 Green Sandpiper. The surrounds of a little used railwayline held plenty of Chiffchaffs, the Willow Warblers and my third Whitethroat of the year. Just got the car back and home for the evening meal by 8pm - the range on the fuel tank reading 11 miles at this point.

07/04/09

La Manche, Dunkerque

134) Common Scoter____________Macreuse noire
135) Little Gull_________________Mouette pygmée

From the ferry on the way back to England another reasonably unexciting haul, the best birds being the above with only a few Gannets thrown in on top. A female duck and 4 adult and a first year for the gulls. No grebes or auks etc etc

La Manche, Dunkerque

136) Common Swift________________Martinet noir
137) Common Tern_________________Sterne pierregarin

Return to France for the third time this year! Uneventful ferry crossing, highlight being a couple of pairs of Swift seemingly feeding as they made their way across the middle of the channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back