• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Les Oiseaux en France, 2009 (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
Ok, greedy doing two lists I know. ;) But will bring a tiny bit more international flavour to this section at any rate ...

I must have spent literally months and months down here in France over the past few years since the parents moved down here to Vianne, situated just off the eastern tip of the 'Les landes', the largest forest in France, and several hours drive north of the Pyrenees in the south west of the country. Been some good birding, mostly from the garden, various raptors and the cranes on migration, the odd rarity,and the regular garden birds which you just don't normally get in the UK.

Down for 3 weeks this time, and probably will make other visits later in the year, hopefully this time around will get out and visit some more of those habitats and regions which hold the more exciting and unusual birds. Doing a list always helps give a little bit more impetus as well. We'll see how it goes...

28/01/09

Bergerac to Vianne

1 Lapwing
2 Magpie
3 Common Buzzard
4 Blackbird
5 Carrion Crow
6 Jay
7 Collared Dove
8 Cormorant
9 Great Crested Grebe
10 Little Grebe
11 Mallard
12 Coot
13 Pochard
14 Tufted Duck
15 Dartford Warbler
16 Kestrel
17 Chaffinch
18 Brambling
19 Grey Heron

Parents picked me up from Bergerac airport for the c. 1 1/2 hour drive south. Went the back way, meaning at least 2 hour drive instead, made a few brief stops also. The Dartford Warbler was actually seen flying across the road, narrowly avoiding being hit :eek!: Bit of a surprise to say the least. New bird for me in France, as were the 4 Pochard seen as we stopped by a lake on the way. I don't recall seeing Little Grebe before either.... shocking but there you go. A reasonable start in the circumstances.

Last edited:
29/01/09

Le jardin, Vianne

20 Pied/White Wagtail flyover
21 Wren
22 Robin
23 Grey Wagtail flyover
24 Greenfinch
25 Goldcrest
26 Cirl Bunting m, singing
27 Hawfinch 11
28 Blue Tit

Agen

29 Great Tit
30 Blackcap
31 Black Redstart m, singing
32 Serin 4
33 Feral Pigeon

Le jardin, Vianne

34 House Sparrow
35 Woodpigeon
36 Mistle Thrush 1
37 Starling 1

Additionally, Chaffinch, Serin, Buzzard and Blackbird and a few others all seen in/from the garden

Last edited:
01/02/09

Vianne, Lot et Garonne

43 Dunnock_______________ (Accenteur mouchet)
44 Reed Bunting___________ (Bruant des roseaux)
45 Meadow Pipit___________ (Pipit farlouse)
46 Fan-tailed Warbler_____ (Cisticole des joncs)
(There's no such thing as a 'Zitting Cisticola' ;) )
47 Skylark________________ (Alouette des champs)
48 Red Kite_______________ (Milan royal)
49 Sparrowhawk m_________ (Epervier de'Europe)
50 Chiffchaff______________ (Pouillot véloce)
51 Merlin m_______________ (Faucon émerillon)

(Middle-spotted Woodpecker- probable heard.)

Took a pleasant sunday morning walk out north of the village and to some maize stubble fields alongside the river Baise. 1000+ Brambling, plus several hundred Chaffinch, Skylarks (couldn't pick out any other lark species), 400 Starlings, 7 resting Grey Heron and 2 Buzzard. The Sparrowhawk and the Merlin both put everything up, the Merlin initially coming into the field right above my head before veering around and out over the field. Definite White Wagtails. Sparrowhawk (f), Red Kite and a Kestrel (also female) later seen from the garden, plus at least 4 Buzzards.

Last edited:
To clarify a few things; I'm not french, and aren't particularly 'au fait' with the language, so apologise for any errors in french word use/grammar/spelling which may creep in when I try and use real french words to attempt to improve the 'cultural impact' of this list ;)

'Le jardin' = The garden at the parent's house. About half an acre, mostly mown grass surrounded by horrible laurel hedges, although it does include some tall pines (a 60 foot example of which came crashing down, completely blocking the drive, in last weeks storms :eek!: - so there's only 3 left now), a palm, fig tree and a small avenue of plums. And a medium sized wildlife pond.
Not necessarily differentiated here, but for listing purposes includes birds 'seen in the garden', 'flying over the garden' and 'seen from the garden'.

(Edit: actually I'll call it by their actual address; 'Lagrange' from now on in. ;) )

Last edited:
02/02/09

Lagrange, Vianne

52 Coal Tit
53 Firecrest

The Coal Tit was being pretty vocal in one of the pines, the Firecrest also alerted me to its presence by briefly calling whilst I was pruning the fig tree, as it worked it's way through the base of the privet hedge.

03/02/09

Lagrange, Vianne

54 Nuthatch (h)

One doing it's 'space invaders' impression somewhere in the woods on the other side of the river ....

04/02/09

Agen

55 Lesser Black-backed Gull
56 Moorhen

Stopped by a pond on the trading estate in the early evening en route picking up stuff. The gulls were flying overhead ina steady trickle, 6 Moorhen on the pond with 3 Little Grebe, 16 Coot and similar number of Mallard. Guess they felt safe from being shot at!! And 10 Reed Bunting. Attracted the attentions of the security guard who obviously was unused to people looking at the ducks.

05/02/09

Entre Agen et Vianne....

57 Great White Egret (Grande Eigrette)
58 Cattle Egret (Heron Gardeboeufs)

The GWE was only a few km north of Vianne, in the middle of the aforementioned maize stubble field. Big white heron as seen from the car. Pulled over for confirmation. Seen a few around in muddy fields in winters before, but not this close to home. The Cattle Egrets were a flock of c. 15 flying the opposite way as we returned back home in the afternoon. No time to stop unfortunately. An excellent 2 Egret day, still yet to see Little in the vicinity....

08/02/09

Le lac de Passeligne, Agen

59) Long Tailed-Tit _______(Mesange à longue queue)
60) Little Egret __________(Aigrette garzette)
61) Yellow-legged Gull ____(Goéland leuophée)
62) Water Pipit __________(Pipit spioncelle)

Au nord de Vianne

63) Jackdaw_____________(Choucas des tours)
64) Song Thrush__________(Grive musicienne)

Two hour 'promenade' around the medium sized lake just east of Agen. Grand total of 3 Great Crested Grebes and 2 Mallard on the lake itself.....hmmmm. Up to 20 Mallard and 8 resting Grey Heron on the adjacent smaller lake. A few more birds around the area, although none of the finch flocks I'd expected, possibly the trees stripped bare by the recent storm (lots of trees down, although mainly eucalyptus). Highlight was a patch of cress beds were maybe up to 100 Water Pipits made it all worthwhile, with smaller numbers of Meadow Pipit and White Wagtail. 10 Cattle Egret also dropped in, a further flock of 34 seen in nearby fields.

Took another walk out north of the village to the Maize fields in the late afternoon. Very much quieter, Chaffinches still about but very few Brambling etc. Slightly better views of the Fan-tailed, still only in flight, and in almost exactly the same place as previously.

Last edited:
14/02/09

Le lac de Passeligne, Agen

65) Gadwall_____________(Canard chipeau)
66) Cetti's Warbler (h)____(Bouscarle de Cetti)

Had an hour to walk around the lake again. Started off with 2 Fan-tailed Warblers flushed from the grass. 2 Male Gadwall on the smaller lake to the east. Only 1 Water Pipit this time as the cress beds were covered in fleece to protect them from the heavy frosts we're having at the moment. 5 Chiffchaff and 20+ Reed Buntings. 6 Little Egret and then 75 Cattle Egret coming in to roost in the Eucalyptus trees rounded the day off nicely.

15/02/09

Vianne

67) Woodlark____________(Alouette lulu)
68) Stock Dove__________(Pigeon colombin)

Two hour walk south west of the village. Nice scenery, some nice birds too.

17/02/09 09:00 - 12:45

Les Landes, pres de Captieux

69) Hen Harrier m____________(Busard Saint-Martin)
70) Stonechat______________(Traquet pâtre)
71) Common Crane___________(Grue cendrée)
72) Pheasant________________(Faisan de Colchide)
73) Short-toed Treecreeper____(Grimpereau des jardins)
74) Fieldfare 1_______________(Grive litorne)

Finally made it out to the regular wintering site for the Cranes in the maize fields in the nearby forest (almost all other times I've seen Cranes in France has been in large flocks migrating overhead). Smart male hen harrier quartering was a good start, various groups of Cranes in the mist, probably many hundreds all told. One large flock (c.1000?) in flight distantly could indicate they were on the move already. The treecreeper was in an area badly affected by the storm - a flock of goldcrests going through the trees at ground level where they lay on the ground was also interesting and a little sad. Many trees snapped off halfway up the trunk.

18/02/09

Etang de Berre, pres de Marseille

Salins du Lion

75) Common Sandpiper______Chevalier guignette
76) Shelduck______________Tadorne de Belon
77) Greater Flamingo_______Flamant rose
78) Avocet_______________Avocette élégante
79) Kingfisher_____________Martin-pecheur d'Europe
80) Black-necked Grebe____Grèbe à cou noir
81) Crested Lark__________Cochevis huppé

Took the train 4 or so hours east on the tuesday evening towards Marseille airport. Fortunately (Unfortunately really) it's built on the edge of a large lagoon on the coast, with a couple of nature reserves within walking distance and potential for good birding Carmargue style... Kipped at the airport, walked out of the perimeter - birds. Sorted. Hundreds of the BN Grebes. Very windy (Mistral?), so they were close inshore. 3 Possible subadult Slender-billed Gulls in with 50 BH Gulls dip feeding - half the flock took off when I tried to get behind some cover out of the wind unfortunately.

Last edited:
Etang de Bolmon

82) Iberian Chiffchaff_______Pouillot ibérique
83) Linnet_________________Linotte mélodieuse
84) Shoveler_______________Canard souchet
85) Shag__________________Cormoran huppé
86) Marsh Harrier___________Busard des roseaux
87) Snipe_________________Bécassine des marais
88) Red-crested Pochard____Nette rousse

Back past the airport and what turned into a 2 hour + slog (later realised there probably could have been a bus) and to the Etang de Bolmon. A lot of getting lost and several hours later and came across some birds and the lagoon. Found the hides too (quite sheltered but cold in the night). Nice. Interestingly, Shag not shown as occurring in the french part of the med in my Collins, the Chiffchaff also pretty cool and unexpected - heard a strange call as it flew over the road I was walking down, before it landed in a garden just ahead. Sour note to end the day - several hundred RC Pochards were obviously very nice, but they were being shot at directly over the marsh, despite it being a nature reserve. Not a fun way to end the daylight hours - loud gunfire and birds plummeting out of the sky. Heard what were presumably (?) Wild Boar or something snuffling and splashing about outside the hide in the night.

19/02/09

Etang de Berre, Marseille

89) Rook__________________Corbeaux freux
90) Sardinian Warbler________Fauvette mélanocéphale

Had to make my way back to the airport for midday, an early start anyway. No new birds on the reserve, passing through Marignane a thermometer display outside a pharmacy read 3°C at 9am, so no wonder it had felt a little chilly in the night. 15 Rooks in a field on the edge of the runway, and plenty of small passerine interest on a rocky bluff overlooking the airport culminated in the warbler- possibly a new bird for me in France.

A month later and down again for another 2 and a half weeks in France...

19/03/09

La Manche

91) Gannet___________________Fou de bassan
92) Kittiwake_________________Mouette triactyle
93) Great Black-backed Gull_____Goéland marin

Calais et la plage est…

94) Sanderling________________Bécasseau sanderling
95) Herring Gull_______________Goéland argenté
96) Ringed Plover_____________Grand gravelot
97) Dunlin___________________Bécasseau variable
98) Teal____________________Sarcelle d'hiver
99) Garganey________________Sarcelle d'été
100) Red-breasted Merganser___Harle huppé
101) Brent Goose_____________Bernache cravant
102) Oystercatcher___________Huitrier pie

Platier d'Oye

103) Sandwich Tern___________Sterne caugek
104) Wigeon_________________Canard siffleur
105) Greylag Goose____________Oie cendrée
106) Canada Goose____________Bernache du Canada
107) Pintail___________________Canard pilet
108) Mediterranean Gull________Mouette mélanocéphale

Decided to try and make my way down to SW France by more environmentally friendly means, if I could, which should also allow me more chance to do some birding along the way. Bit of an epic journey in some respects, 2 days and 3 nights in total; walk to Swanley station the first evening/train/walk...sleep at Dover Ferry port /ferry/walk c. 20 miles ...sleep in the undergrowth near Calais...walk/train/walk to a park in Lille and back for connecting train/train/walk..sleep in an empty flat in Agen/cycle 20 miles - arrive!!

Anyway, disappointingly few birds from the ferry on the second half of the crossing. Walking east out of Calais along the beach a distant string of white things in the haze could only have been Avocets, closer in and very nice was a flock of 30 or so Teal flying east, bins up and found there were 3 male Garganey in the flock too. Excellent! All the potential Kentish Plovers were unfortunately Ringed, as I carried along the beach towards the 'Reserve Naturelle de Platier d'Oye'. A gravel workings held half a dozen Sarnies noisily displaying and carrying sandeels. Wigeon and flyover Greylags too. Approaching the first hide on the reserve, some dufous (don't know the french word - Idiote? Cretin?) was standing on top of the hide with a camera. Everything up and milling around. Ten mile walk and this!!! Stared at him, went into the hide where his girlfriend was also standing in front of the hide, 2 other guys inside. It was a bit too much, and I broke into bad french, muttering something like 'c’est pas necessaire, pas bon...' She didn't meet my eye, but looked a bit sheepish (comme un mouton?), spoke to her partner, and 20 seconds later all four had gone.... soon the birds were settling, but obviously more distantly than they could have. Certainly a number of Avocet I'd seen in the air didn't return. Probably any number of Long-billed Dowitchers and SB Curlews too… Bad for the birds of course, not just me. Anyway, reasonable selection of wildfowl present (compared to the south at any rate), the Pintail and 3 male and 1 female Garganey nice (different birds to earlier?)
Carrying on through the reserve, plenty of walking, not huge numbers of birds, big colony of BH Gulls with the Meds was nice, and then walked back to Calais in the dark. Bit knackering really.

(No new birds on the 20th. Woke near Calais to find my bivibag covered in frost. Probably only suffered mild hypothermia – the violent shivering in the night had stopped and I felt nice and toasty when I awoke at dawn (that’s why 1-season sleeping bags are for the summer I guess)… Made it into Calais for the 8:37 train To Lille. Twenty minute walk to the park in Lille (Bois de Boulogne), this part actually being a zoo with monkeys, zebras and pelicans visible and entertaining from outside the perimeter. Nuthatches the most exciting real bird in the park, although some students doing some presumed media studies type stuff also nice to watch…
Got into Agen at about 7pm. Quarter of an hour after the last (and second) bus of the day. Kipped in an empty flat that we were going to do up and where a bicycle had been conveniently left for me. ;) )

21/03/09

Le canal entre Agen et Vianne

109) Sand Martin______________Hirondelle de rivage
110) Swallow _________________Hirondelle rustique
111) Black Kite 2______________Milan noir

Up later than I intended, and out by 9:30 am. Very poor map, but hopefully just a case of following the canal path almost all the way to Vianne, then popping through the fields on the route of one of my regular walks. Lots of joggers, cyclists etc at the Agen end. Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Cetti’s Warblers all much in evidence. As sadly expected, very little in the way of real waterbird interest (1 Mallard, 2 Coot and a Cormorant on a canalside lake once out of Agen) along the way. Halfway along, however a more distant working held 2 flying Mute Swans, and the hirundines listed above, couple of dozen of each, the martins presumably arrived to nest on the sandy bankside on which they frequently alighted. The Black Kites languidly patrolling at treetop height at the canalside ahead. Stopping for early lunch near the end and typically vocal Nuthatches, a Firecrest and a Short-toed Treecreeper with nesting material all good.

LaGrange, Vianne

112) Black Stork______________Cigogne noir
113) Osprey__________________Balbusard pecheur

Excellent end to the day. A well deserved bout of garden birding (some from the sunbed with eyes closed, bit lightweight, but there you go) saw the Black Stork sailing over northwards after a brief bit of circling overhead. Raptors seen from the garden included more Black Kites going north, a possible Short-toed Eagle (probably, but just too distant), and with the Osprey initially seen by chance going overhead, whilst describing the Stork sighting to one of the parents, and happening to glance out of the lounge window at the same time. Excellent.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back