• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leptotila verreauxi santiago van Rossem & Hachisuka, 1937 (2 Viewers)

Hi there Monty Luis! Great to hear from you. Perhaps you can clear this up. I concluded Anita McCarty married a Mr Hoye but he died and she married Carlos Montgomery and Carlos adopted Clay and he took his name. Who was James Clay Montgomery McCarty?

AHA

Clay Montgomery McCarty
July 1882 – 15 August 1964

was he called James??
My birth certificate says that James Clay Montgomery McCarty, from Kansas City, is my grandfather, and Emilia Salido my grandmother.

Last edited:
He's tricky and there may be a reason for that.

There is a federal writ (dated 1831) identifying the owners of Rancho Guirocoba as a Craven E. McCarty and a William C. Lucas. Based on this and the Natural History article I believe Craven also called himself Jim and even perhaps James E. McCarty after all Craven is a pretty odd name!.

The photo of Moore identifies McCarty as a man in his 60-70s and as a miner. Attached is a passport application identifying Craven E. McCarty as a miner.

This nice account mentions the 4 siblings. Tia Margarete and Tia Anita (Born Anna and Margaret McCarty) were Craven's and Eli's widowed/divorced sisters. Anita had married a Mexican/ American Carlos Montgomery and he adopted her 2 children including Clay Hoye (who became Clay Montgomery). Clay Montgomery married a local girl and eventually inherited the Ranch and some of the family still live in Alamos Mexico. The fourth sibling Elias or Eli was listed as a photographer in the 1900 census - I can find no record of what happened to him...

Attached is a photo of Craven taken in 1918. This looks very much like "Jim" McCarty" in the photos from 1930 (just 12 years older).

Rubbish, I found whilst searching included that they were living in the back of beyond because their father "Sam "was dodging the draft from the US.
Also, the family has nothing to do with Friar Kieran McCarty an American historian active in researching Sonoran genealogy.

So I assumed that because the honouree "Don Santiago" died before mid-1937 and the ranch was visited in 1935 that "our man" was Craven and Craven died between 1935-37. But then I found an airline record for Craven McCarty for 1944 aged 75 flying from Hermosillo to San Pedro, California, and realized that I had the wrong guy!!

Craven Elmer McCarty (1867- after 1944)
Born 17 October 1867 Corydon, Harrison, Indiana, USA
Died: after 1944 maybe in Hermosillo or the USA or???

And then it dawned on me that "Don Santiago" was the ORIGINAL owner of the ranch - the one that had the foresight to buy it in the first place and make it a sanctuary "for every naturalist who has worked in southeastern Sonora in recent years". That I am sure was James W. McCarty the sibling's father! This actually makes much more sense given the OD - sure he was deceased in 1937 - he died in 1911 and of course, Santiago means James.

James William McCarty (1840-1911)
Born 29 May 1840, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Died: 01 Aug 1911, Washington, USA

So after all that I am pretty sure James William McCarty (1840-1911) is "our guy"!

P
The mexican papers are from 1931 not 1831

In a lizard paper "collected near Guirocabo [sic], 20 miles southeast of Alamos, Sonora." Laurent recently spoke of the importance of spelling on researching, I think the ranch name was misspelt by Moore? Vulture in Spanish is buitre not guiro?? buitrecabo is vulture cape?
Güirocoba is the correct name in Spanish but in also they use Huirocoba. An the word in from the natives Caitas (mayos)

Attachments

• guirocoba.jpg
    guirocoba.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back