• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leighton Moss, Lancashire (1 Viewer)

florall

Does anybody know about this RSPB bird reserve? Everything I've read about it produced by the RSPB talks about the birds that breed there, but says nothing about the sort of birds to expect in winter (in my case, November). Would there normally be plenty there, to attract me down from the Lake District, where I'll be holidaying?

Does the fact that there have been no replies indicate that Leighton Moss is no good to visit in the winter? Is there anybody in Lancashire who can help me, by letting me know what to expect there in November?

florall said:
Does the fact that there have been no replies indicate that Leighton Moss is no good to visit in the winter? Is there anybody in Lancashire who can help me, by letting me know what to expect there in November?

I've only visited in Feb March and on the first visit found a Bittern and a water rail along with all the normal water fowl. I intend going again in a fortnight or so whilst we are stopping at Kendal so I will report back when we we get back

Sorry that you've not had many replies.

Despite having lived approx' 8 miles away for the last 2 years, since moving up here from the South I've not been there in November.

However I can give you a website addy that you can probably look back to sightings in previous year(s) which will include the Moss:

http://www.classaves.co.uk/birdnews/index.shtml

Hope this helps,

Chris

On a visit in late September two years ago I had six separate sightings of Bittern, all good views. I don't think there were actually six different birds involved but still ...

I think Leighton Moss is well worth a visit any time of year, and you should see a good range of birds in November.

There should be a good variety of ducks in November, Bitterns may be seen as may Bearded Tits which are on the up again following a crash in numbers. For the last few years Water Pipits have been seen in winter so there is a chance one will return and be back by the time of your visit.

Stephen.

florall, it's well worth a visit anytime. And as your going to be so close, be a shame to miss this chance. And on the + side you have Morecambe Bay, next door it's one of the largest concentrations of birds to be found anywhere in Europe, Wildfowl-gulls-terns, and many others. need any more temtations!
bert.

Just had a look through my records and November has produced Green-winged Teal,Bittern and Slav Grebe along with all the usual Leighton Moss birds.

Hi Florall, It's a great reserve with helpful staff at the information centre (I think there is an RSPB office here as when I asked a question about Red Kites in Oxford, a long way from Lancs, they ran off and found "somebody who would know").

Given our previous chats it may be worth giving them a call about access/distance to the hides. The "Public Hide", where I saw my first Bitten last December, is over a 1000 metres from the information centre, but there is a road/track to it that may be able to be used if given permission. On the December day I visited I chatted to a local birder who reported 27 species easily viewable from the "Eric Morecambe Hide" (but I had to go back to the family so can't give you a list or details on accessability).

Regards,
Paul

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I was sure there had to be something to tempt the winter birder there, and from your replies, it's obvious there is. I'll give it a go, and tell you all later how I got on. (And Paul, yes I will ring them up in advance. I think the RSPB reserve brochure mentions a wheelchair, so I'll see about hiring that.)

pauljones said:
Hi Florall, It's a great reserve with helpful staff at the information centre (I think there is an RSPB office here as when I asked a question about Red Kites in Oxford, a long way from Lancs, they ran off and found "somebody who would know").

Regards,
Paul

...or made a quick call to me or one of my colleagues at the Lodge...LOL.

Leighton Moss is a great place but beware - it is big. All the paths are easily accessible from what I can remember (it is a few years since my last visit) although the estuary hides are a distance away. There used to be otters on the reserve but I am reliably informed they have not been seen for some time now. I have never been lucky enough to see bitterns there but nearly everyone else tells me this is one of the best places to see them in winter. The estuary is breathtaking in winter for obvious reasons and In have seen marsh harriers very low over the paths there.

Thanks Ian. It sounds like a good place to visit, and I will try while we're up that way. I've just had another look at the disabled facilities part of the Leighton Moss website, and it seems that people with limited mobility can drive to (close to) one or two of the more distant hides, just like at Dungeness, so I'll see about doing that.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back