• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leiden in January (1 Viewer)

david kelly

Drive-by Birder
Scotland
Does anyone have any information about birding in the immediate vicinity of Leiden. I plan to go there at the end of Januay 2009.

TIA

David

How far can you travel?
I used to live there, and closeby you can find the following:
The Leidse Hout (between Leiden and Oegsgeest) always had wintering Firecrest (some searching will be required!).
The Hortus in the heart of Leiden was my usual location for adding Tawny Owl to the year list (nothing else though!)
If it's really cold and everything is frozen (hasn't happened in 10 years...), the northern side of the old town and the canals north of there can be good for ducks (even had Scaup there!)
Public transport would take you to the following places within 30 minutes:
The mouth of the river Rhine in Katwijk can have some interesting gulls (but usually doesn't). I like the dunes a lot more: a bike ride between Katwijk and Scheveningen (schedule 3 hours round trip) can be worthwhile if only for the landscape. There has been a lot of reconstruction of the dunes... good for plants, not so good for birds! Smew and Red-crested Pochard should occur south of the Wassenaarse Slag (no public transport in winter).
The area south of Leiden can be good; check this map: http://www.vogeldagboek.nl/Natuurkaart.html
Starrevaart (left on the map) near Leidschendam (a short walk from a bus stop in Voorschoten) is full of ducks (incl. Smew) and usually has Bittern and Bearded Tit (good luck!) Rarer birds occur regularly – a well-watched site. The polders east of the A2 motorway are excellent for Great Egret: De Wilck (lightblue, centre) would be a good place to start. Also Bewick's Swan there, and Peregrine has wintered there for years.
A good area for geese is north of Koudekerk (upper right on map).
Scheveningen harbour (1 hour by public transport) has Purple Sandpiper without fail.
With some luck, Little Buntings will return for their third consecutive winter in Katwijk. Keep me posted (by pm) and I'll give you the latest updates!
http://waarneming.nl (sightings of just about anything) can be watched in English, but it may be hard if you don't know all the local places.

Last edited:
I live near Leiden. I know the surroundings of Leiden very well.
I think that mr. Xenospiza has given a well account of the birding spots near Leiden.
I would like to correct one thing. He mentions the A2 motorway. I think it should be the A4 motorway.

I can add some practical things.

You can rent a fine bike at the trainstation of Leiden for less than £ 3,00 a day. The birdsites mentioned above (dunes of Katwijk, Starrevaart nature reserve, polders east of A4 motorway near Zoeterwoude and Koudekerk) you can reach by bike in a half hour.

Also at the trainstation of Leiden busses depart to these areas. On this website you can plan your trips and see how much the costs are.

http://www.9292ov.nl/

On a rainy day you can visit the Museum of Natural History, called Naturalis. It’s near the trainstation Leiden and has a big bookstore with books only about nature (a wide range of topics). The entrance to the bookstore is for free.

The birdwatchers of Katwijk have their own website.

http://www.birdclubkatwijk.nl/bck/waarnemingen/waarnemingnl.asp

If you like birdwatching over the sea you probably will meet them in the morning at hotel Savoy (Katwijk), located at the place where the old river Rhine flows into the sea.

Feel free for making more enquiries.

Leo

You could perhaps go see the Snowy Owl on the island of Texel, wich is at about an hour and a half drive to the boat, then about 20 minutes with the boat and another 20 minutes on the island. There is also a Green Winged Teal on Texel.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back