• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Ultravids (thread contains a variety of topics, optic reviews & other binos) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tim Allwood said:
a friend of mine was onced asked by an Aussie for directions to Loogaburooga.......

Ok guys, I think Andy is right that this thread should come to an end. Wasn't it originally about Ultravid binoculars? Well, I take part of the blame for having steered it into a different direction. But I got a lot of most helpful info out of it on the way, thanks.

And for those who can't turn off their dirty mind, how about contemplating the use of a Tele Vue 85? ;)

Although I do not agree with some magazine reviews and the way they are written, I think it is unfair to say that those involved are divs. Some are very knowledgeable on optics, and there are possibly reasons why one has a bias to one model or another (look at this thread and many like it). No doubt a good review helps sales, and how many buy as a result of someone writing a positive article, and convincing themselves that this must be the bino to be seen with. What is an honest review? Why not just enjoy the bino that you currently use.

mak said:
Although I do not agree with some magazine reviews and the way they are written, I think it is unfair to say that those involved are divs. Some are very knowledgeable on optics, and there are possibly reasons why one has a bias to one model or another (look at this thread and many like it). No doubt a good review helps sales, and how many buy as a result of someone writing a positive article, and convincing themselves that this must be the bino to be seen with. What is an honest review? Why not just enjoy the bino that you currently use.
When i started this thread it was to learn about the LEICA 50MM ULTRAVIDS, and every time i inquire about them i get no useful information, so lets end this and when i get my LEICA 50MM ULTRAVIDS i will report back! Chas Zoss

What a wonderful thing these threads are, Chas; and many of us have found this one very interesting and entertaining. Not you, though, it seems - and you started it, too! :C . Ah well, such is life on the Internet with all its freedom. Many threads seem to have a habit of taking on a life of their own! Just maybe asking about the quality of one of the most expensive and best pairs of binoculars in the world resulted in this kind of thread, eh?

Last edited:
<quote>The big problem with optics reviews in British bird mags is that they will not give an honest opinion that a particular pair of bins or scope is better or worse than its rivals in the same price band<unquote>

Another problem is their system of grading for value for money, where they use the RRP as the arbiter and not the price they can be bought for. A good example is the Swarovski 8.5x42 which they cited as £1032 but are generally available for about £729.

Chas Zoss said:
When i started this thread it was to learn about the LEICA 50MM ULTRAVIDS, and every time i inquire about them i get no useful information, so lets end this and when i get my LEICA 50MM ULTRAVIDS i will report back! Chas Zoss

Chas.
In the UK, I understand that the Leica 50mm Ultravids, are not available. I have spoken to a number of UK Leica dealers, and they have the 42mm models, but not the 50's. No time given for availability.
I suppose it still does not help you.

mak said:
Chas.
In the UK, I understand that the Leica 50mm Ultravids, are not available. I have spoken to a number of UK Leica dealers, and they have the 42mm models, but not the 50's. No time given for availability.
I suppose it still does not help you.
MAK, I am being told to expect them after newyears (when ever that is) in the USA thank you for the on topic information! Chas

optics reviews

Chris Zorro Another problem is their system of grading for value for money said:
True. This type of unfair comparison was pointed out on the UKBN group a while ago in a discussion about a previous Birdwatching magazine optics survey. Steve Dudley conceded that it was a fair point and said the magazine relied on prices submitted by the manufacturers. It has happened again in this magazine, and again, Swarovski suffers in comparison with Leica. It makes one a little cynical.

dogfish said:
Chris Zorro Another problem is their system of grading for value for money said:
True. This type of unfair comparison was pointed out on the UKBN group a while ago in a discussion about a previous Birdwatching magazine optics survey. Steve Dudley conceded that it was a fair point and said the magazine relied on prices submitted by the manufacturers. It has happened again in this magazine, and again, Swarovski suffers in comparison with Leica. It makes one a little cynical.

I was told by a salesman at InFocus that Leica give a low margin (i.e. RRP is close to actual selling price which in turn is pretty much controlled by Leica) which is why they won't sell them.

It also doesn't help that for many years each review would have its own categories e.g. Optics, Useability, Build and Value on week and then Optics, Design and Handling, Build Quality and Value the next week.

BTW Kind of keeping on thread, I wonder how the new 50mm Leica compare to the Zeiss 8x56 Victory which have a wonderful spec!!!

Leif said:
BTW Kind of keeping on thread, I wonder how the new 50mm Leica compare to the Zeiss 8x56 Victory which have a wonderful spec!!!

The Birdwatching review was pretty poor on the 8x56 Victory. It would be interesting to see how they compare when they do a review on the Ultravid 50mm model. Surely with objectives this size, the benefits must be at dawn or dusk, and then it must be the optical performance in low light and the type of prism used that would be beneficial.
I would like to know what the manufacturers think about the reviews, as no doubt they actually have the "REAL" tested figures for binoculars. All of their R&D can go up in smoke when a negative review is published, as sales must be affected.

Last edited:
CDK said:
The Birdwatching review was pretty poor on the 8x56 Victory. It would be interesting to see how they compare when they do a review on the Ultravid 50mm model. Surely with objectives this size, the benefits must be at dawn or dusk, and then it must be the optical performance in low light and the type of prism used that would be beneficial.
I would like to know what the manufacturers think about the reviews, as no doubt they actually have the "REAL" tested figures for binoculars. All of their R&D can go up in smoke when a negative review is published, as sales must be affected.

The Bird Watching review last year gave the Zeiss 8x56 Victory top marks for optics, and dreadful marks for ease of use, presumably due to weight. In fact they gave all big binoculars low marks for ease of use so I guess they are going by birding criteria.

I believe the Royal Navy use Zeiss 7x50s for searching at dawn and dusk where they have the edge. I suspect such large objectives are useful at dawn and dusk and at night for skywatching, but only if your iris can dilate enough! For owl watchers and night owls maybe?

Hello -- I'm new to the site, but thought that i would add my 2 cents to this thread. I have been using teh 8.5 ELs for over a year now and just love them. I was very interested to have a chance to conduct a very unscientific field comparison of my 8.5's to the new 32 EL and the 42 ultravids. The result was shocking: the ultravids and the 8.5's were virtually indistinguishable in terms of brightness and contrast, but they had quite different color biases (yellow (8.5's) vs. neutral to blue (ultravids)). Personally, I find the swarovski's much more comfortable and prefer the slow focus, so the choice of the EL's over the Ultravids is a no-brainer for me. What was shocking, however, was that I and my companions found the 32EL to clearly have greater resolution and equal brightness to both the 85EL and the 42 ultravids. And of course, much lighter and more comfortable than any of the 42's.

As I said, a very unscientific test, and admittedly no testint conducted at dawn or twighlight, but all 4 of us (all experienced birders) came to the same overwhelming conclusions: the new 32EL is an absolutely incredible binocular. For the record, I have no affiliation with Swarovski (or any other manufacturer for that matter) and indeed do not find they are the best in many categories (eg, I own Zeiss 10x25 Victories as well as the new Zess 85 Scope).

Does anyone know how I, living in New York City, might be able to find a copy the recent birdwatching binoc review on the web? Is it possible that someone could post a link to it or e-mail it to me? Is it sold over on this side of the puddle?

tonrot said:
Does anyone know how I, living in New York City, might be able to find a copy the recent birdwatching binoc review on the web? Is it possible that someone could post a link to it or e-mail it to me? Is it sold over on this side of the puddle?

The 8x32 EL topped the 32 class easily. This is what they said about them:

Design - A smaller version of the 42mm models with a unique open design. Lightweight and sleek with grippy rubber armouring, supplied with nylon case, rainguards, objective lens caps, medium wide Neoprene strap and lens cloth. Waterproof and nitrogen filled.
Simply put, the testers thought these binoculars were faultless. They were supremely lightweight and streets ahead of the competition.
Small and elegant, these were extremely comfortable to hold with a natural feel. the thumb recesses on the underside had rounder edges than the 42mm model and are less extreme and deep.

Focus - The 24mm wide focus wheel was well positioned, smooth and precise. It took just one and a half turns from horizon to minimum focus.

Image - Exceptionally good with brilliant feel and excellent close focussing distance, field of view and depth of field.

Verdict - Its been a while coming, but the testers think we have a new king of the 30-32mm class. The perfect 32mm binocular?

Model- Optical- Design- Value
Swaro LE- 9.5- 9.5- 9
Leica BN- 8.5- 8.5- 9.5
Nikon LX- 9- 8.5- 9.5
Nikon SE- 9- 7.5- 9
Swaro SLC- 8- 7.5- 8.5
Zeiss BGAT- 8- 7- 8

I thought they were a bit grudging in their praise ;)

Last edited:
I should think that, in good light, both Swarovskis allow in far more brightness than your eye is able to differentiate - hence, the only time you will notice an improvement in brightness between the two would be at dusk or evening.

Last edited:
CJ --any thanks for the interesting info. i'd still love to read the whole review if anyone has suggestions of how i might get a hold of a copy, but i suppose at this piont this "need" is simply idle compulsion.

Scampo -- i suppose you're right, i'm sure the 8.5's would be somewhat superior to the 32's at dawn/twighlight. still, personally i'd rather have the superior resolution and lighter weight of the 32's for the rest of the day....

tonrot said:
CJ --any thanks for the interesting info. i'd still love to read the whole review if anyone has suggestions of how i might get a hold of a copy, but i suppose at this piont this "need" is simply idle compulsion.

Scampo -- i suppose you're right, i'm sure the 8.5's would be somewhat superior to the 32's at dawn/twighlight. still, personally i'd rather have the superior resolution and lighter weight of the 32's for the rest of the day....

Tonrot: I s'pose you could order a back issue. Try sending an email to:

[email protected]

To be honest an earlier post by William J Clive has told you pretty much all you need to know! The reviews tend to be rather superficial, and the idea that the optics can be summed up by one number is odd. I believe that the Nikon 8x32 SE has far far better optics than the Swaro 8.5x42 EL (I own both), but the Bird Watching people would tell you the opposite! Part of the problem is that it depends what weight you give to the various aspects of the optics, build etc. In other words, you really need to try them yourself, preferably in the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back