• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica eye candy.... (17 Viewers)

I recently became a thankful owner of a new UVHD+ 7x42. Chose it over Zeiss SF 8x32 after comparing them. I've been missing out, what beautiful glass and over all binocular. View attachment 1521292
It really is beautiful glass, you just don’t want to put them down. Everything about them from the image to the balance and feel in your hands, and the focusers are excellent on the plus models. Sometimes I can’t make up my mind if I like the UV better than the retro, depends on the lighting I guess.

No nocks on the 8x32SF, they’re also wonderful glass with a more modern sterile , kind of more technical image circle, if that makes any sense. Nice picture.

Paul

Beautiful! Leica makes great stuff. I love "pimp your collection" photos! Always liked "show & tell" in elementary school too. Good luck finding the Noctivids :)

I'm currently at 8 pairs of binoculars, with 2 of them in the classifieds, I was thinking of doing a group photo when I get down to 6 but maybe I should do it now :):)

Scott, agree take a photo of all 8 together. It may serve as a useful reference in the future.

Mike

I recently became a thankful owner of a new UVHD+ 7x42. Chose it over Zeiss SF 8x32 after comparing them. I've been missing out, what beautiful glass and over all binocular. View attachment 1521292
Good day,

The UHVD 7x42 is hugely popular apparently. Did you also consider the UHVD 8x42 or 10x42? Why did you decide for the 7x42? The exit pupil of a 8x42 is already quite decent.
I think my question is in general: why is 7 power so popular? :)

For me there are three things that I admire about 7x binoculars:
1 They are stable
2 They have a high clarity effect impression given by the lower magnification. Even if in reality the resolution is lower than a 8x bino of the same optical quality, the impression of clarity is higher in 7x than in 8x, because the information is more condensed giving the impression of high contrast!
3 The depth of field is also larger, that requiring easier focus adjustment.

P..S On top of that, if it's porro, the pleasure of a 7x is maximum!

Good day,

The UHVD 7x42 is hugely popular apparently. Did you also consider the UHVD 8x42 or 10x42? Why did you decide for the 7x42? The exit pupil of a 8x42 is already quite decent.

Reinier,

I agree with @dorubird on his three point summation of the advantages of 7x. Speaking subjectively, the combination of stable image, greater depth of field and clarity effect results in a "cleaner" and more "natural" image with a more 3D view, as if you are 7x closer to the object rather than looking at a magnified image.

It took me a while to fully appreciate the 7x. The UV HD + is a beautiful example.

Mike

FEADDE9D-959D-4070-B0F9-584FC8F7D8F7.jpegD0B70313-7BAF-4FBD-9E08-D597195F99D9.jpeg

I am thinking one of these days I need to take these out and give them a look see. Not sure but I am thinking i bought these about 12 years ago at Cabellas in Dundee, Michigan

7’s are like image stabilization.
Not quite! You still only have 7x magnification. There is no way a 7x42 compares to an IS binocular like the SIG Sauer Zulu 6 16x42 for detail. Your image scale on a 7x simple doesn't compare at all to 16x, especially at long distances.

I was looking at a Timber Wolf in Yellowstone at over a mile away with my Sig Sauer Zulu 6 16x42 and with 7x that would be like 754 feet away but with 16x it is like 1/2 or 330 feet away, and it makes a huge difference in seeing detail. Just try standing and looking at a bird at those two different distances and see how much more detail you can with 16x.

7x are good for close in birding like warblers in a lot of trees or cover. 7x are not the best choice for open country or seabird watching at great distances if you want to see detail. I understand the benefits of 7x, and I have a 7x32, but they have their place.

Last edited:
View attachment 1521361View attachment 1521362

I am thinking one of these days I need to take these out and give them a look see. Not sure but I am thinking i bought these about 12 years ago at Cabellas in Dundee, Michigan
BulbMogul, I for one would love to see the eye candy stereo system, with all the components. Throw in the burnt orange NLs just for shts and giggles. Thank you.

Paul

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back