• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica APO Televid 82 (1 Viewer)

NZbinodude

New Zealand
Lots of Swaro love on here, but who is using the Leica 82mm?

After something for terrestrial viewing. I prefer Leica glass when it comes to binos, so I figured the APO 82 would be a good place to start.

Cheers.

I had Leica Apo Televid 82 (for birding) about seven years before I got Kowa 883, so here are my thoughts about this scope:

My Televid 82 sample had some rather bad aberrations (mainly spherical aberration, some astigmatism) and when compared directly to my current (selected sample) Kowa, it had somewhat softer and less contrast image quality (and that was the reason I switched to Kowa 883). Was it worse than other brands same aperture scopes? Many times Televid 82 was equally sharp or even sharper than other randomly selected scopes from Kowa, Meopta or Zeiss @50x since the same sample variation is upon every brand (with some brands [Nikon, Swaroski] there may be better average quality and higher probability to get a good sample/avoid lemons). If you are not familiar with star testing scopes, I strongly suggest to learn before buying Leica (or in fact any other brand scope...).

Other than optical aberrations, my Televid + 25-50x zoom was a great scope, I liked it very much. View through the zoom was very wide angle and comfortable also with glasses on, there was plenty of eye relief. There may be some kidney beaning if pupil is too close to the eyelens but its easy cope with the adjustable eyecup. The dual focussing system was one of the best in my opinion, it's maybe not the smoothest possible but the slow focus is slow enough and it is easy and precise to focus at the highest mag. Image is quite bright and colours are very natural, there is some quite obvious lateral chromatic aberration but the center field is very clean and since the view was so wide, at least I wasn't bothered about some CA, but of course someone else could be. If I remember correct, the zoom had some pincushion distortion at highest mag. but I wasn't bothered with that either.

The stay on case is one of the best I have used, very rugged and functional. Only problem was that the sun shade was quite tight to pull out.

Mechanically the only weak point I found was the eyecup, which broke twice, since there was too thin plastic parts inside the eyecup. It may have been fixed with newer samples (mine was bought 2012 or something). The scope rubber casing had some quite strong plasticky smell, I haven't noticed similar with other scopes I have tested. For a 82 mm scope, Televid was quite heavy.

I also had the 1.8x extender but since the scope itself had optical aberrations, it wasn't very usable at highest mags.; it offered more resolution power maybe to about 70x or something like that (maximum available was 90x).

So if you manage to find a good sample of Apo Televid 82, I think you will have an excellent scope if you like wideangle views and 50x max mag. is enough (unless using the extender).

Regards, Juhani

Thanks so much for your detailed reply! Plenty of food for thought.

Kowa is 2nd on my list.

p.s just realized that I posted this thread in the Swarovski section (by mistake). Woops.

I started out Leica (7x42 UVHD; NVD), but ended up Swarovski EL Range 8X42 and Swarovski ATX 25-60X85. Been 5 years since NVD release though.

I would like to start by stating that I do not possess the technical knowledge of someone like @BoldenEagle. I purchased my used Televid 82 approximately one year ago and it is the only spotting scope that I have ever viewed through. The only comparison I can make is to a Takahashi 100mm astro scope at 40x and, in my opinion, the Leica compares admirably. The view through the Takahashi is definitely better but not by a huge amount (in my opinion). I am extremely happy with my Televid.

Kowa is 2nd on my list.
Meopta S2 should also be considered. We like ours very much: the 20-70x eyepiece is especially easy to use, and very well corrected. (The overall view should also please a Leica fan.) But do test whatever scope you get because there is sample variation, and it will matter at higher magnifications.

Hi,

my advice would be to thorougly test (you want at least a crisp image at maximum magnification - ideally a star test with an artificial star) the scope you want to buy and then buy exactly that example - bonus points for getting a discount for getting a demo unit...

Sample variation is unfortunately a thing with spotting scopes and I have seen a terrible example of the Leica 82 in an optics store which should never have left the factory - the store ower agreed and had some not too kind words about Leica - whose HQ was less than 20 miles away btw...

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back