• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x32 HD vs papilio 6.5 or 8.5x21 For insects and butterflies? (1 Viewer)

I have Papilio 6.5. I think it is the most suitable one compared to the x8.5 variant due to the bright image produced by it. Also, in close range, the magnification of the x6.5 variant increased up to x8 due to its special optical design. The x8.5 variant is not so bright and it gives x10 magnification at close range. Without having an external light source it would be difficult to use x8 in some situations, especially in very close observations of small insects. However, for me, the main drawback of them is the lack of water resistance.

By the way, I am not clear on what you mean by Leica 8x32 HD. UV or Trinovid? Anyway, I still recommend the Papilio 6.5 over the other two for very close observations of small insects.

Recent discussions...

... though I didn't specifically have a Leica 8x32 in mind. I like Leica, but FoV sort of conspires against somewhat for insects and butterflies.

FWIW I haven't made a choice yet but am now also half-courting the idea of a Maven B.3 6x30.

The Maven near focus is not close enough at 8.2 feet for what I want. My NL pure 12x42 is 8ft but doesn’t merge comfortably at the extreme close focus. My Noctivid 8x42 does better at 6ft and merges better at that close focus but I am looking for something even better.

There is really no comparison between the two. You're comparing a $2K to a $100 binocular! The Leica is light years ahead of the Papilio. Get the Leica and don't look back! You can also use the Leica for normal birding, and I believe Lee uses the Leica for insects with good results.

There is really no comparison between the two. You're comparing a $2K to a $100 binocular! The Leica is light years ahead of the Papilio. Get the Leica and don't look back! You can also use the Leica for normal birding, and I believe Lee uses the Leica for insects with good results.
No, the "HD" Lee likes for that is the $1k Trinovid, with close focus ~1.5m IIRC.

I got the Pentax today. They are tack sharp. I am surprised how good they are. No eye strain at all for up close stuff. I can’t imagine anything better than these for close focus. I am sure the little Leica 8x32 would be ok but these are made for close up so I am glad I got them.

I got the Pentax today. They are tack sharp. I am surprised how good they are. No eye strain at all for up close stuff. I can’t imagine anything better than these for close focus. I am sure the little Leica 8x32 would be ok but these are made for close up so I am glad I got them.
I am sure you have made the right decision.

I have the Leica Trinovid HD 8x32 which I have with me all the time (my main birding binoculars) when out in the field and work well with insects as well as birds but for looking at close stuff for long periods the Papilio 6.5x21 are much more comfortable for my eyes.

I also have the Papilio 8.5x21 binoculars and, if being used close up, it's very difficult to detect any difference between them and the 6.5x.

I did drop a pair of the 6.5x into a stream but put them in a warm dry place and after a while (and after I had bought a replacement pair!) they were as good as new.

I ordered the 6.5 x 21 Pentax today. It was cheap enough I figured what the heck.
I ordered on myself a few days ago, as I saw a bargain basement price of £89. The arrived today and they have a nice bright image and the close focussing is exactly as expected. The Zeiss 8x 30 SFL is £1300 here in the UK so nearly 15x more expensive, the Leica Trinovod 8x32 merely £695 so only 8x more!

I am sure you have made the right decision.

I have the Leica Trinovid HD 8x32 which I have with me all the time (my main birding binoculars) when out in the field and work well with insects as well as birds but for looking at close stuff for long periods the Papilio 6.5x21 are much more comfortable for my eyes.

I also have the Papilio 8.5x21 binoculars and, if being used close up, it's very difficult to detect any difference between them and the 6.5x.

I did drop a pair of the 6.5x into a stream but put them in a warm dry place and after a while (and after I had bought a replacement pair!) they were as good as new.
Paul,

I've been curious about the trinovids in this format for awhile but unfortunately they are not stocked at any nearby stores, so I haven't been able to try them. You mentioned you use these as your main birding binoculars. I'm curious what features you like about them, what you might change, how they've held up while you've owned them, and if you'd recommend them. I'm looking for something with good close focus like this (my main bino is an ultravid hd+ in 7x42 with OK close focus but not as good as the trinnie or the papilio) for insect/plant/close-up viewing, but that can pull double duty as a very durable/waterproof all-around binocular.

Thanks for any input you might have, and happy holidays!
Sam

Paul,

I've been curious about the trinovids in this format for awhile but unfortunately they are not stocked at any nearby stores, so I haven't been able to try them. You mentioned you use these as your main birding binoculars. I'm curious what features you like about them, what you might change, how they've held up while you've owned them, and if you'd recommend them. I'm looking for something with good close focus like this (my main bino is an ultravid hd+ in 7x42 with OK close focus but not as good as the trinnie or the papilio) for insect/plant/close-up viewing, but that can pull double duty as a very durable/waterproof all-around binocular.

Thanks for any input you might have, and happy holidays!
Sam
Hi Sam

I'm not someone who is very good at analysing why I like a pair of binoculars but I'll try!

For birdwatching what I particularly like about the Leica Trinovid HD 8x32 is
(1) They are a decent weight (630g) so have a good solid feel in the hands without being overheavy - I struggle with any binoculars weighing more than 700g.
(2) The rubber armouring is smooth which I prefer to 'ribbed' models.
(3) They work well with my (varifocal) glasses on or off (eyecups always down)
(4) They have a moderately wide field of view (stated as 124m at 1000m) - with my eyes I don't find a wider field useful.

The things I would change are the tight fitting rainguard caps.

Hope that helps

Paul

Robert,

Aileen 'Trobadouris' was using a current Leica Trinovid 8x32 when I met her and the recently departed Lee 'Troubadour' Thickett in 2018 or 2019. Lee explained that the Trinovid was better than the similarly sized Ultravid HD Plus for close focusing on insects etc, which was why Aileen had both a UVHD Plus for general / birding use and the TV (both in 8x32 format) for insects. She let me try the Trinovid myself and I found it very impressive close up. However I have no experience or knowledge of the Papilio models to compare with. Also of course my comments are just general background as I see you have ordered the Papilio. When or if you have a moment it would be interesting to hear how you get on!

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back