• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 10x42bns? (1 Viewer)

peteh

Hello,
I am thinking about purchasing these binos,
but with no shop over here selling them I am having to buy them via mail order.
My one query is the diameter of the eyepiece.
My binoculars at the moment have a tiny diameter and are doing my head in but I dont want to spend all this money to find the Leica's are the same.
Is there anyone out there with 10x42 Bn's that could measure the eyepiece diameter and tell me please.
(Ive checked all the places I can think of for this spec and can't find it..doh)

Thanks
Pete.

Pete - I've taken a ruler to the eyepiece of Trinovid 10 x 40 and the diameter is 17.5 mm. Hope this may help.

Rufus

P.S.

I've had a pair of Leica Trinovids since 1974, and they are superb. Just about the best purchase of anything I ever made.

Rufus

Hi Pete,

I have 8 x 42's and I'm pretty sure the diameters are the same (at least I could not see or feel any difference when I tried them side by side), so getting out my measuring stick the measurements are as follows

3.7cm (outer edge to outer edge)
2.7cm (inner to inner)

Hope that helps

Pete

I feel a 8X is a better all round birding bino than a 10x although you get a bit less magnification but this is offset by having a wider field of view, greater depth of field, a reduced risk of shake and better resolution in poor lighting conditions. So I would always choose the 8x version over a 10.

Paul

hello Pete,
all i can say is what i found myself so here goes. i have a pair of 8=12x42 duovid and would not change them for anything. they really are outstanding. i think most supliers will give you the option to change them if you dont like them when spending this sort of money. shop around & get the best deal. good luck.
send for the leaflet & check spec & sizes.

I have a pair of 8x42 BN's and the eyepieces are big. Very big. I can easily use them with or without glasses. They are the best bins I have ever owned and are totally superb. I wouldn't have any hesitation in recommending them to anyone. The only slight whinge, is that the eyecups in the down position are too low.

peteh said:
Hello,
I am thinking about purchasing these binos,
but with no shop over here selling them I am having to buy them via mail order.
My one query is the diameter of the eyepiece.
My binoculars at the moment have a tiny diameter and are doing my head in but I dont want to spend all this money to find the Leica's are the same.
Is there anyone out there with 10x42 Bn's that could measure the eyepiece diameter and tell me please.
(Ive checked all the places I can think of for this spec and can't find it..doh)

Thanks
Pete.

I am curious as to why you want to know the eyepiece diameter? Is it a comfort against the face thing?

This thread's a year old, Leif. Today I'd be asking why anyone would want to go for the Leicas. Unless the new ultravids are a marked improvment optically on what's gone before, there are far sharper bins out there now.

Bluetail said:
This thread's a year old, Leif. Today I'd be asking why anyone would want to go for the Leicas. Unless the new ultravids are a marked improvment optically on what's gone before, there are far sharper bins out there now.

Bluetail: Ooops. Thanks. I only saw the latest reply which was very recent.

Bluetail said:

The pair of Leicas I own are superb, and are easily the best bins I have ever looked through, bar none. I did get a look through a pair of Swarovski 8x bins a few weeks before I got the Leicas, but preferred the Leicas. I can see details on birds, ships and other things that were not visible through other brands, due to the sheer brightness of the image.

However, like everything else it all comes down to personal preference as much as anything.

Bluetail said:

I know of one partner of a BF member who tried out all the latest bins (except the new Zeiss - they weren't announced at the time) and went for the Trinovids..... you pays your money.......

Out of my personal possessions (apart from photos and one or two books) the only things I'd save in a disaster would be the Leicas. I know they are replaceable, but that's not the point. I'd also try and grab the cameras too (sentimental value as they have been everywhere with me over the years).

Well, let's put it this way. I've been running on an old pair of Leitz Trinovid 10x40s for the last 20 years. Back in 1985 they were the bee's knees, side by side with the Zeiss Dialyts. Optically they are excellent. When Leitz changed their name to Leica and brought out the Trinovid's succesor, the 10x42 BNs, I considered upgrading, but decided against it because the optics were hardly any sharper. A year or so back an optical company held a field day near here and I tried the 10x42 BNs side by side with the Swarovski 10x42 ELs. The Swarovski knocked spots off the Leics in terms of resolution and clarity of image. There really was no contest. I hear people speak of the Nikon models as being comparable with the Swarovskis, though I haven't had the chance to try those.

I'm now saving up for a pair of Swarovskis, but, like I said, I'd be interested in knowing whether the newer Leica models are a significant improvement on Leica's previous ones. Similarly, if there are bins in the 10x40 range that are sharper than the Swarovskis I'd sure like to know about them.

Jason 5 months ago i switched to Leica Ultravids from Zeiss 7x42s which id had for almost 15 years. I compared them to Swaroviski 8x42ELs 8x32ELs and Nikon 8x42HGs,i chose the Ultravids because i considered them to be the most comfortable to use e.g good weight, field of view,easy to look through.Opticaly there was very little difference between all 3,I rejected the Nikons on weight,Cant comment on Leica BNs as its a long time since ive look through a pair.

Ragna said:
Jason 5 months ago i switched to Leica Ultravids from Zeiss 7x42s which id had for almost 15 years. I compared them to Swaroviski 8x42ELs 8x32ELs and Nikon 8x42HGs,i chose the Ultravids because i considered them to be the most comfortable to use e.g good weight, field of view,easy to look through.Opticaly there was very little difference between all 3,I rejected the Nikons on weight,Cant comment on Leica BNs as its a long time since ive look through a pair.

Hi,

I´ve compared Leica Trinovid with the new Ultravid some months ago. The new coatings of the Ultravids gives more brightness and more contrast. But differences are also quite small.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back