• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leeds owls (2 Viewers)

Hopefully nobody will post details of Owl roost sites on an open forum,or send a personal message to someone they don't know.

Pete.

You sometimes get Shorties during the winter hunting over the ridge and furrow at St Aidan's. Tawnies - use your ears first, they are vocal at this time of year, once you find a calling bird use fieldcraft to home in on it. Littles - kin hard around Leeds. Long ears - no chance. Barnies - nothing I know of in Leeds area

I have a rough idea of where to look at St Aidans from finding Owl pellets near old Astley lane as a kid about 30 years ago, however that tree fell from old age not long after, not sure if they'd still be nearby.

I watched a hunting barn owl last Sunday on my local patch, had a go at filming it despite the poor light. It would have been better not to have used the zoom feature as that completely ruined the clip. I'll know better next time.

Nuthatches are common in the woods at Roundhay Park, but for guaranteed opportunities try the feeding point in Golden Acre park, and the Marsh Hide at YWT Adel Dam. Also chuffed that we've seen one a few times this autumn in the trees right outside our window in Burley.

Last edited:
Totally missed the nuthatch question in the op... agree with the Adel Dam suggestion - you should get ample photo opportunities there.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back