• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lawn weed! (1 Viewer)

steve_nova

Out today cutting my front lawn where one area is lightly shaded and often quite damp. I noticed this purple flower amongst the daisies so knelt down to have a closer look and was totally surprised to find the Northern Marsh Orchid in perfect health (except for the chopped off leaf tips from the last cut!). I have cut around it with scissors and taken this picture. Not really all that rare but rather than just cut it, I will try and transplant it into the moist, slightly shaded border round the back.

Attachments

• marsh orchid.jpg
    marsh orchid.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 390
Hi Steve,

Not sure if they're transplantable. Might be better to mark its position, and remember to keep the mower off the spot for the critical months each year?

Michael

To transplant orchids Successfully you need to dig a turf c 2 foot square & a foot deep. Then transplant onto another site. Orchids absoloutly hate Root disturbance.

CJ

No thanks Carlos, I'll make do with the Horsetails in the border thankyou!.....and in between the paving slabs.....now where did I put that bottle of glyphosate...

Hi Steve,

Looks to me like your lawn has not seen any treatment from any nasty chemicals, and you have been justly rewarded with your orchid.

My lawn is similar, and I have a Bee Orchid which should come into flower very soon (I will post a pic as soon as I getthe 1st flower).

Paul

So how would they have got there ?

Is it likely to be seed dropped by birds or runners from a nearby plant ?

I only moved house a couple of weeks ago and getting stuck into the garden now, but I wouldn't want to do anything that'd prevent a plant like that appearing.

Carlos

The seeds are very fine and can be dispersed over long distances by the wind. I have lived here for 14 years and last year was the first time anything like this showed up, although it may have been overlooked in previous years. Last year was very wet so the grass went a long time between cuts and I only just managed to avoid cutting it with the mower because I spotted the flower. This year I have 2 flowering plants (should have been 3 but my better half accidentally the other one 2 weeks ago), and a number of smaller ones so hopefully they are spreading, although it makes grass cutting somewhat tricky

Yes Colin, how about a picture or two from your forays as well please.

Regarding the orchid, I too have only been here a year now so don't know how old it is. I will leave it I think now, and just mark the spot for reference when it hides away in the winter ready for the first cut of next year.

I know where an Epipactus helleborine is growing not too far from where I live so will take a picture of that when in flower even though they are a rather unspectacular green in colour.

Common Spotted Orchid really is more like a weed in these parts and is locally extremely common.

Joan and Matt, you have some spectacular Platanthera's over there so how about a picture when they are in bloom?

I'll do my best, Steve! I did find three Cypripedium calceolus (native orchid small yellow lady's slipper) a week or so ago and posted a picture. Those are special finds around here anymore, highly prized by orchid poachers. When poached, they probably usually don't survive the transplant long though; as I understand it, they need decomposing oak wood in the soil to grow. The large yellow and pink lady's slipper will take your breath away, haven't seen any of those in many years..... (J)

Pity, Colin, you post such wonderful finds; I'm curious about your many fungi! I do enjoy your verbal descriptions of your outings, very nicely done. (J)

Joan & Matt, I have procured seedlings of both species of Cyprepedium from a nursery here in the UK and they are doing fine. I expect them to flower in a few years from now...the wait will be worth it!

Steve, I've seen Cyprepedium in catalouges and wondered, the flowers look a bit different to me, but that could be either the photographs or regional differences among flowers? I've been tempted to buy some, but thought they weren't true to the wild orchid, and worried about bringing in a domesticated version to an area where the wild grow. I will definitely have to do more research on this, because if they are the same animal, er, I mean plant, I will be purchasing some, you bet! I do think I know where to find your beauty, Platanthera ciliaris, and will be out looking beginning in late July. I studied up a bit on the other Platantheras last night, and will be looking for them as well.... (J)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back