• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (4 Viewers)

So my wife celebrated WP bird #600 in March - Dusky Thrush twitch in Berlin. Then she promptly un-celebrated when we found out that our "Gyrfalcon" from Norway is a Peregrine (not sure how that happened) and now she can re-celebrate again with the Chaffinches! Well, it was close, they looked like they are gonna take away the Shearwaters to even it out. Maybe they will do that soon and she will have another chance at 600 later :)
Probably gonna lose the Redpolls too.

I would imagine it has to be. At the very least the files I have looked at seem updated?

Hopefully this generates a response!
It did generate a response!

All of the 13.2 speadsheets have long been completed and their inks posted. The transition to 13.2 isn't "officially" completed yet because the BOW pages have yet to be created and placed on the website. Other more urgent issues, not related to the IOC WBL, have consumed any of the editors' available time for this final 13.2 project. These conflicts should begin to settle down in mid-September.

Apologies for the recent "radio silence".

David

Sep 26 Accept splits of Yellow-billed Egret and Plumed Egret from Intermediate (Medium) Egret.

I hope that "Medium" is just a placeholder until something better comes along... surely there's a better name out there for it!

Another English name update that may be commented on:

Change English name of widespread Diomedea exulans from Wandering Albatross to Snowy Albatross to avoid confusion with the other three species formerly included in the "Wandering Albatross" complex.

I hope that "Medium" is just a placeholder until something better comes along... surely there's a better name out there for it!

Another English name update that may be commented on:
Average Egret? Middling Egret? Normal Egret? I wonder what the best worst is?:unsure:

Average Egret? Middling Egret? Normal Egret? I wonder what the best worst is?:unsure:
I don't know. All three names are a bit substandard really. All Egrets develop "plumes" to some extent in the breeding season. Several egrets have "yellow bills". A "medium" is just not great. That being said, I can't think of something more appropriate other than maybe "African/Oriental/Australian Egret", all of which are unimaginative and not without their own problems.

I find the Mesophoyx group the least attractive egrets, with their ungainly proportions, so an unattractive name fits.
If the deal is closed on Yellow-billed and Plumed, why not keep "Intermediate" (which I quite like) too.
"Middle Egret" (as in Great, Middle, Little) would also be fine for me — certainly better than "Medium".

So Yellow-billed ranges in Africa, Intermediate in Eurasia, right? That gains us a species!

More importantly - are they readily IDed? What goes for WP records? Yellow-billed on Cape Verde and Canaries - but what about middle east? Looks halfway between ranges ...

So Yellow-billed ranges in Africa, Intermediate in Eurasia, right? That gains us a species!

More importantly - are they readily IDed? What goes for WP records? Yellow-billed on Cape Verde and Canaries - but what about middle east? Looks halfway between ranges ...
Correct. I'm not certain which species turns up on the Arabian peninsula. I would guess mostly intermedia (Medium), as I think they might be more migratory. But I wouldn't be surprised if there are some brachyrhyncha (Yellow-billed) records along the Red Sea Coast. I don't know how to reliably ID them outside the breeding season. I think there are some body-size differences, but how easy that is without a comparison in the field, I don't know.

More of a problem is figuring out who's who in Indonesia, where Plumed and Medium should overlap for at least part of the year.

Sep 26 Post four-way split of Black-throated Trogon complex.

AS 14.1Northern Black-throated TrogonTrogon tenellus(Amazonian) Black-throated TrogonTrogon rufusNorthern Black-throated Trogon Trogon tenellus is split from T. rufus on the basis of deep genetic divergence combined with vocal and morphological differention (Dickens et al. 2021; SACC 921; WGAC). English name tentative.
AS 14.1Choco Black-throated TrogonTrogon cupreicauda(Amazonian) Black-throated TrogonTrogon rufusChoco Black-throated Trogon Trogon cupreicauda is split from T. rufus on the basis of deep genetic divergence combined with vocal and morphological differention (Dickens et al. 2021; SACC 921; WGAC). English name tentative.
AS 14.1Atlantic Black-throated TrogonTrogon chrysochloros(Amazonian) Black-throated TrogonTrogon rufusAtlantic Black-throated Trogon Trogon chrysochloros (including muriciensis) is split from T. rufus based on moderate genetic divergence combined with vocal and morphological differention (Dickens et al. 2021; SACC 921; WGAC). English name tentative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back