• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest BB-Monthly Marathon (1 Viewer)

HH75

Ireland
Hi all,
I see from the British Birds website that the latest issue is now out, and that (at last!) there is a solution to the ongoing 'Monthly Marathon'. Having taken part in this, and despite my below-par performance in Sean's recent quizzes, could anybody PM me the solutions given? The closing date for those pics has long since passed, so this would not constitute cheating!
The new pic, however, I would rather tackle without having heard anyone's opinions beforehand....
Harry

Harry Hussey said:
Hi all,
I see from the British Birds website that the latest issue is now out, and that (at last!) there is a solution to the ongoing 'Monthly Marathon'. Having taken part in this, and despite my below-par performance in Sean's recent quizzes, could anybody PM me the solutions given? The closing date for those pics has long since passed, so this would not constitute cheating!
The new pic, however, I would rather tackle without having heard anyone's opinions beforehand....
Harry

Harry,

Photo 209: Lark Sparrow.
Photo 210: Sanderling.
Photo 211. January Edition..hopefully.

Hi John,
Fallen at the first hurdle, everyone I showed Photo 209 to felt that it had to be a Woodlark based on the pattern at the base of the primaries....
Harry

Harry Hussey said:
Hi John,
Fallen at the first hurdle, everyone I showed Photo 209 to felt that it had to be a Woodlark based on the pattern at the base of the primaries....
Harry

Fair comment Harry..see what you mean. If only we had known it was photgraphed in Texas, USA, April 1992.

You were not alone on thinking WL. Only 45% of entries were correct. The more popular thoughts were; White-crowned Sparrow and Black-throated Accentor.

And of course I was correct.....yeah right!

Hi John,
I was rather hoping that nobody else had gotten the Lark Sparrow right either, as I got the Sanderling right and would have been in with a shout then! Now I'll just have to try to get them all right as and from the Sanderling and hope that somebody slips up....
Did many get both right, by the way?
Harry

Harry Hussey said:
Hi John,
I was rather hoping that nobody else had gotten the Lark Sparrow right either, as I got the Sanderling right and would have been in with a shout then! Now I'll just have to try to get them all right as and from the Sanderling and hope that somebody slips up....
Did many get both right, by the way?
Harry
72% Sanderling.

Surprisingly, no votes for Red-necked Stint. The majority of inccorrect answers going for Semi p Sand..you can see why.

Hi John,
Yes, it was always going to be Sanderling or Semi-P, and the internal markings on the tertials only really fitted the former. What did you make of the gull, assuming that the closing date for that bird hasn't been deferred for a while?
Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back