• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Late October Birding in Switzerland? (1 Viewer)

Larry Usselman

I'll be travelling to Switzerland during the last two weeks of October for a family visit (in-laws), and hope to have a little time for my first exposure to European birding. I'll be based in Canton Solothurn, near Olten, and probably will only be able to observe the local birds.

I'm a fairly new birder, less than two years experience, and all of that has been in the Northeastern United States, so I know absolutely nothing about European, and particularly Swiss, birds. I have a copy of the Birds of Europe field guide, which I believe to be a decent reference book.

My question is what specific birds could I expect to see in this region and at this time? Even the "common" birds will all be lifers to me, but I'd like to get some ideas as to what specific birds to look for.

Thanks in advance for any information or recommendations!

Hi Larry

Have a look through the excellent pages that Wintibird has put on Opus Switzerland, this will link you to all the Swiss articles.

They'll give you an idea and keep you going till someone replies with specific info for you.

HTH

D

Hi Larry,

Solothurn can be quite nice for birding. In late october you can expect the following birds:

Town: Chaffinch, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, House Sparrow, Carrion Crow, Jay, Pied Wagtail, European Blackbird

River Aare: Goosander, Tufted Duck, Common Pochard, perhaps Red-crested Pochard, Cormorant, perhaps Little Grebe, Dipper, Grey Wagtail, Grey Heron

Forests: Great tit, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Marsh Tit, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Blackbird, Treecreeper, Short-toed Treecreeper, Greater Spotted Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, Black Woodpecker, Bullfinch, Hawfinch (hard to spot) and some more.

Be sure to visit the Aare and some forests around. Birds of prey can be everywhere. Common Buzzard is most common, Kestrel and Red Kite pleasantly common around Solothurn. You can even expect some White Storks. The belong to the reintroduction project and don't migrate.

Most migrating birds will have left by then, but as it's your first touch with European Birding there will still be enough to see.

Greetings from Switzerland
André

Thanks very much, André! That information will be a great help. Now I have to start studying and learn these new birds so I'll be able to recognize them. That should give me something to do on the long plane trip!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back