• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large Gull, possibly Cachinnans, Steinhorster Becken near Paderborn, NRW, Germany, 8th May '23 (1 Viewer)

Andy Hurley

Gotta love nature!
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
My first thought was Caspian Gull, but would like your input, as I have been more wrong than right in my ID's recently. Only one image I'm afraid.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• _ARD6895.JPG
    _ARD6895.JPG
    338.3 KB · Views: 37
Cannot rule it out from the obvious yellow legs, but too light overall especially lesser coverts and head too white, sloping forehead? Dunno really why else it can't be. Was hoping for an explanation either way. Most gulls with yellow legs in adult plumage devolp these in 3rd year at earliest , I think, but I'm a bit colour blind, so me confusing the colours can't be ruled out.

I meant the sketches of 2nd and 3rd year birds in Helm's gulls. No reason for you to know that though, sorry...

Hello,
what a pitty that you dont have more pictures.
My first gut reaction was, this looks like a Caspian x Herring Gull hybrid(= Yellow legged Gull look alike= thanks to Chris Stohl, Uli Mahler and other local birders that made me think about my lazuy jizz approach towards YLG in SW-Germany)

But brightening the picture to a supposed normal level, your bird seems to be on the bright side with washed out pattern on the greatercoverts with much white, very pale tertials, and more?

Are these really features? I am not so sure, so as always: I hope for confirmation or correction. Thanks!

Thanks very much Alexander. It does appear to be a very light bird, but the photographer*innen ( German joke :LOL:) assures me the settings were all good with ISO set bang in the middle.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back