• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lapwings at Woodford (1 Viewer)

jayhunter

I work in the Design Block at Woodford Aerodrome, recently we have been moved up to the top floor, with a good view of the Airfield. It is inhabitated by a large number of Lapwings (Peewits), I have been watching them for the past few weeks and noticed that they seem to be split into two separate flocks. But, they still seem to behave in the same way, if for example the first bird to land picks the taxiway, then the other 50/60 odd birds follow suit. If however he/she decides to land on the grass by the edge of the taxiway, again they all follow suit. After a while on the dark surface of the runway (heated by the sunshine) they take off and fly up onto the hangar roof, white asbestos boards, I wonder if this is because their feet have been heated by the taxiway surface and go up onto a more reflective surface to cool down. But both flocks tend to stay within 200 yards of each distinct flock, they also all seem to face the same way. A really nice looking bird with distinctive colouring very broad wings and the distinctive tuft on the top of the head.

Only trouble is for the last year we haven't had any real aircraft activity but soon that could all change with the flight trials of the Atmospheric Research Aircraft (ARA) about to start and Nimrod about to take to the air early next year. The bird scaring details of the firemen will have to start in earnest, I don't know where the Lapwings will go then as their habitats are slowly disappearing.

Eeehh, Woodford Aerodrome, that brings back a pang or two of nostalgia, Bob. Many were they days I used to watch the gliders from Woodford when I was supposed to be watching my Dad play at Bramhall Cricket Club. Perhaps the Lapwings will come here, as a pair bred this spring near Reykjavík. We've got an abundance of wide open spaces for them here.

E

Nice one Edward, the hustle and bustle has all but gone, of nearly 5,000 employees when I started here in 1984, there are now nearer 500. At the moment it is good for the wildlife, watched a pair of Swallows bring up and fledge four young. The Rabbit population is growing out of all proportion and the Hares are multiplying but they are less easy to see, easier early in the mornings on early starts.

Do they have any implications on the running of the Aerodrome. I read that some Stone Curlews grounded an American fighter jet as they were nesting under it.

The air traffic landrover runs up and down the runway with a tape recording of supposedly some sort of raptor screeching. It is enough to scare me let alone the Lapwings, only trouble is they have heard the recordings for so many years and not lost any siblings I think they only fly off when the wheels of the landrover threatens. I do see the occasional Buzzard, and Kestrel overhead, in fact for three years on the trot the pair of Kestrels nested in the Hangar air vent, but they have been missing for two years. The inactivity must have bored them to death, or they moved to Ringway for more interesting aircraft movements (big brothers)!

Such a shame intensive farming has depleted habitiat for so many birds, but I can't blame the farmers here, we have an ignorant crop of "up comers" who let their yappy Jack Russels run riot over the quiet field behind me, and for some reason they never get the threatening, shotgun wielding, "Get off my land" people, whereas those who do no harm are threatned visciously. Takes all sorts!! This spring several Peewits attempted to settle but those wretched dogs made sure they didn't.
I envy you the sight, as the most I've seen here in a group was about ten! Nina.

Hi Nina, Having read your newsie missives about your neck of the woods for the past few months I feel really chuffed I have more of something than you. The Pee wit or Lapwing is I feel rather underated it is quite a striking bird when studied at close quarters. We liken them to three separate squadrons all wheeling across the airfield in different directions at the same time, but not mingling, as if different quarrelling families who won't kiss and make up.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back