• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lancashire birding - request for information (1 Viewer)

james d

I'm bringing my family down to Lancashire area for a few days over the coming weekend and am looking for some information on where to go birding. I will be based in Southport and plan to spend some time on the coast there, as well as visiting Martin Mere. I have been browsing various sites, including these forums, but any up-to-date info on birds in the local area would be great.

James

Hi James

Depends how far you want to travel. If you're based at Southport then Marshside and then along the coast in either direction, although probably north will get good returns (lots of things reprted around there at present).
Try this link http://www.freewebs.com/merseybirders/northwestbirdnews.htm and then the lnks page will get you lots of other useful sites.
If you go to MM then not far away is Mere Sands Wood which is Lancashire Woodland Trust I think. They have a reported Night Heron today but its good for wildfowl and probably has a greater variety of woodland birds than MM.

hope this helps

Great White Egret & Green-winged Teal - Marshside
Night Heron as above
Glossy Ibis - Wharton Bank

You'll think you've ended up at Donana!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back