• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lake District birds (1 Viewer)

Wigwam

Hi, I'm travelling to the Lake District in about two weeks and I was wondering what kind of birds I should look out for.

Im doing the "coast to coast" walk and will be in the lake district most of the time.

I am most interested in birds of prey. I know there are a pair of Golden eagles in the area but Id love to know what other kinds of birds of prey might I see.

Many thanks

There`s only a male Golden Eagle not a pair unfortunately-if you`re doing the traditional route, your best chance is from Kidsty Pike. Peregrine are pretty common, even from St Bees. Merlin, Kestrel and Buzzards are all fairly common as well.
Have personally seen quite a few more raptors in The Lakes but i wouldn`t say that these would be expected.
Enjoy the walk. Friends of mine did it last year and didn`t even see a Buzzard in Yorkshire so make the most of your days in The Lakes.
cheers

As for peregrines, I may be wrong, but I heard somewhere that the Lakes has a higher density of peregrines than anywhere else in the world. They're certainly plentiful and visible.

great ,thanks everybody. Id be delighted to see a Buzzard(have only seen one)and its always great to see a Peregrine. Many thanks again

Hi all,
Was thinking of heading Haweswater way myself soon. Having dipped on the Eagle last year any advice would be appreciated. I know where Riggingsdale is but do the RSPB still set up a viewpoint and if so when does it run til.
Cheers
Craig

We put the viewpoint up at the end of March. It is manned Saturday/Sunday and Bank Holidays. There are scopes set up.

He`s still displaying and nest building

Viewpoint is up until the end of August.

cheers

it`s in Riggindale Valley-you`ll prob pass along it on they day you go to Shap.

You can see it from Kidsty Pike which i think is the North side of the valley.

cheers

I am in the Lakes now, for a holiday, I can agree with the Peregrines, seen lots so far, also a single Merlin. Bring your wet weather gear just in case, it is tipping down here today. My plans for walking and birding are on hold till the rain eases up.

Just an update on my trip if anybody's interested. We had a lovely time with fantastic weather, as for the wildlife we saw:

-Lots of Buzzards - really cool to see them soar, one even came up real close to check us out.
-Kestrels
-Peregrine
-Tawny Owl - another first!
-Barn Owl and again a first :)
-my first GS Woodpecker - lots of them too
-Redstart another first
-heard some Cuckoos
-Carrion Crows, we have only Hoodies over in Ireland
-nesting Lapwings, Curlews, common sandpipers

also we saw lots of red squirrels, they are really common in the area, we couldn't believe it.

we past the Golden eagle site but decided not to go the hide as it was a bit further away. But as Boom said above we got views of it on the Pike. No eagle that day though

All in all a fantastic trip with great wildlife :)

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a great trip :t:

I was there last week rom Wednesday to Friday and am heading back over tomorrow *Tuesday* until Friday :king: We have a friend who lives there so whilst Neil helps him do some building work on his garage I disappear off out birding :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back