• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kusadasi April (2 Viewers)

James Thomas

Having a family holiday near Kusadasi at the end of April. Won't have transport but I'm happy to find a patch and work it for the week. From Google Earth images the area south west of Ephesus looks interesting, a few lagoons, marshes etc.

Would be most grateful to hear of any other locations within easy access, no intention to travel far but if there's anywhere local that's worth the trip I'd be pleased to hear. Anywhere I could find a list of birds I could reasonably expect to see? Finally, never been to Turkey - any mileage in sea watching?

Thanks

I had a break in Kusadasi in August a few years ago. (very hot) Around our hotel there were Shrikes (Red-backed?) and Syrian Woodpeckers. Ruppells Warblers were on the cliffs nearby. A little further afield, Masked Shrikes and Penduline Tits (well, found a nest!) I hired a car and drove south a few miles to a large wetland area where there were stacks of birds - Rollers, Spur-winged Plover, Dalmatian Pelican, Caspian Tern, I imagine it would be much more productive in spring.

On a boat trip across the bay I'm sure I had a few Yelkouan Shearwater....

DO NOT, under any circumstances miss out on a trip to Ephesus. It's stunning!

Cheers, definitely going to Ephesus. Don't fancy car hire but would imagine a taxi fare won't be too different cost wise? Might do a taxi to the top of a hill and walk back.

Cheers, definitely going to Ephesus. Don't fancy car hire but would imagine a taxi fare won't be too different cost wise? Might do a taxi to the top of a hill and walk back.

At Ephesus you should also see plenty of Rock Nuthatches. I also remember seeing Masked Shrike there and a Krüper's Nuthatch in a small stand of pines.

Several years ago when I was at Ephesus and did some birding at the nearby Kucuk Menderes delta. Very good spot that can be viewed from the roadside. Not sure how good it is these days though. It's basically just along the road from Ephesus to the sea.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back