• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa mid-sized binoculars? (1 Viewer)

dvboy

I have been out of the binocular game for a few years,decided i wanted a single "do it all" mid sized bino for hiking and maybe the odd sporting event.I did some research and ended up ordering the 6.5x32.Initially I was was satisfied with the brief time I had played with them,but after my first hike not so much.I was good with the build quality,they were bright and sharp enough in the middle area(outside blur didn't bother me).I am not a bino expert by any means,but what bothered me about the 6.5x32's is there seemed to be some kind of funky distortion or something that looked un natural when viewing?Not sure how to describe it,but it was enough for me to take advantage of the stores return policy.It was recommended to give the Genesis 8x33 a try,so they are on there way.Has anyone done a direct comparison of these two?I am hoping this is where it ends for me,but in the back of my head I'm thinking a larger 8x42 sized binocular might be more comfortable to my eyes?

I compared the Kowa 6.5x32 and 8x32 -- the 8x32 has a larger sweet spot and less of the mentioned distortion. I guess you mean the rolling ball effect when scanning the scenery? Unfortunately it seems that many of the low powered wide angle binos have it. I compared the Kowa 6.5x32 and APM 6x30 -- both have those distortions. It doesn't bother me personally but I think some people might get sea-sick when panning.
Interestingly enough -- the cheapo Opticron Adventurer T WP 6.5x32 has less distortion than either one but also less FoV (9.2°) than the Kowa. Same is true for the Nikon Aculon 7x35 which however has a greenish tint to the image. And those cheapo plastic eyecups -- I just don't like those. Maybe the Nikon Action EX 7x35 might be better in that regard but I never handled one.

Thanks for the reply,yes,probably I was experiencing the “rolling ball effect” with the 6.5x32,makes sense,it did give me a little sea sick sensation.The Genesis 8x33 should be much better in this respect?

Unfortunately I didn't check that one (I tested a bunch of Kowas the other day in a store before buying the BD II 6.5x32). But it has a narrower FoV of 8° compared to the 8.8° of the Kowa BD II 8x32. And the BD II 8x32 already has much less distortion than the 6.5x32. So I'd think the Genesis 8x33 would be even better (also costs twice as much, so should be better corrected). But I am certain there are a couple of owners here who can tell you more.

Thanks again,that sounds logical,the previously used 6.5x32 had a 10° FOV and the incoming Genesis 8x33 have a 8° FOV.Thats looks to be a pretty sizeable difference working in my favour.

I have had the Genesis 8x33 for a few weeks and am quite fond of it. Part of my fondness is the in-hand experience. The ergos and build quality for me are just about perfectly done. I have not had another binocular that feels this good in my hands before, including Swaro NL 8x42, Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32, Victory SF 8x42’s. Quality bin. This 8x33 is sharp, the image is sweet, and the lack of chromatic abberation is hard to believe. The ease of use/eyeplacement for a 8x32ish bin is excellent, I think above average. The 8x33 has some panning distortion, but it seems subtle to me and is not something I notice or think about during use.

Last edited:
I will also add that no 8x32ish bin I have found is as nice optically as corresponding tiered 8x42’s. Some expensive 8x32‘s will be nicer than some cheaper 8x42’s, but you can‘t cheat physics. The difference can be subtle, but it’s there. Ease of view due to exit pupil, and 8x42 models just have a little more oomph and sweetness in the image, IME. I am a fan of big exit pupil, and 8x56 can be even better. That being said, 8x32 bins absolutely have their place, and good 8x32’s can still have that big view feeling.

Last edited:
Thanks,I am hoping the Genesis 8x33 are pleasing to my eye,otherwise yea I will have to look at something in the 42mm range.

There is a review by one of the moderators, Troubador:

I’d be curious to hear what your impression is when you get them.
I will report back once they arrive and I have some time with them.Really hope I like them,thankful to have a retailer with a good return policy,but the waiting process isn’t fun!!

Ok….a little update.I got the 8x33’s,really impressed with these binos,but it’s good news/bad news.They have a premium feel with a nice focus wheel,I probably put too much of a premium on the feel of binos,but these deliver in that respect.The view is bright and clear with good contrast,clear upgrade from the 6.5x32.My biggest concern would be how comfortable my eyes would be with a 33mm bino,I did see some shadows,but it wasn’t a huge issue.Hmmm,how much better would a 42mm bino be in this respect?
The bad news is there was a little debris inside the right barrel that could be seen while viewing,these had to go back.Now I have an option the go bigger if I wanted to,tough decision,had these been clean I would have been happy to ends things as is.
After doing a lot of thinking I decided to get the Nikon HG 8x42 in exchange.The Nikons could be the most compact 8x42’s available,they are only 0.6” longer and 2.7oz heavier than the 8x33 Kowa’s.Seems like a small trade off to go from 33mm to 42mm?
That was a few days ago and the Nikons just arrived,gave them a brief viewing,happy to say they are clean inside!!Build wise I think the Kowa’s have a slightly more solid feel,but both have a premium feel.The focus wheel is terrific on both units with the Kowa having a little stiffer resistance,each nice and smooth.Optics wise they are quite equal from what I can tell,overall I feel good about my decision going with the Nikons.Having the larger lenses in a body that’s not much bigger with equal quality glass seems like a good decision!!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back