• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kite Lynx HD 8x30 (2 Viewers)

Lee,
European law demands that an instrument can only be reported as being made in Europe when it is made functional in Europe. That means for the Conquests that it is made completely ready in Japan,including the application of the specific Zeiss coatings, except for the placement of the eyecups, since it is not functional without the eyecups. In Wetzlar, Germany the eycups are put in place and that allows Zeiss to sell the Conquests as being made in Germany. It is that simple.
Gijs

So Porsche can have a 911 completely assembled in China, then shipped to Germany for the application of the wheels and tires [to make it functional] and it is still branded ''made in Germany.''?

I find that hard to believe.

Edit - it makes no sense. Why wouldn't Zeiss have the Terra eyecups installed in Germany, and stamped ''made in germany'' on the bin, rather than China?

James,
You do not have to believe me, but this are the facts and we have to live with it.
Gijs

Maybe, but what you describe still makes no sense. Why wouldn't Bushnell ship all their bins to Germany, for eye-cup attachment, then call them ''made in germany''?

They could double their asking prices.

Edit - it makes no sense. Why wouldn't Zeiss have the Terra eyecups installed in Germany, and stamped ''made in germany'' on the bin, rather than China?

I think it makes sense, well half sense at least ;)

Zeiss Terras are in a price class where consumers have no problem with them being manufactured in China. Stamping Germany on a 450 € Terra would also weaken a bit the value of that stamp for justifying the 1800 € for the HTs.

What I don't really get is why Zeiss does not simply sell the Conquests as "Made in Japan", if they really are mostly made there. I don't think that would harm their success much.

Florian,
I can not look into the minds of the Zeiss directors, but they must have found it better to do it this way. They do nothing wrong, considering they are working within European and American legal rules. And for consumers it is not so important if the quality of the instrument is allright.
Gijs

Ok, anyway, to come back to the topic, the most interesting bit when talking about place of manufacturing, was the possibility that while the Monarchs 30s are made in China, their sister Lynxes might be made in Japan (which would indeed explain the cost difference). Gijs, could you get some info meanwhile on where the Lynxes are made, Kamakura China or Japan?

Chris,
The Janpanese company which makes the Monarch, the Lynx and the Conquest does have a large factory in China, so it could very well be that the Monarch is made in China.
The reason that the Lynx and the Conques are more expensive might than be, that they are made in the Japanese factory, but I have to check that.
Gijs

Hi Florian,

there is only the product number on the underside of the Lynx HD, no "Made in . . . " .
Also on the package it doesn´t give any information.

I just checked Kite´s website again. Except for the Petrel, where they say: "100% manufactured in Japan", no information is given in the model´s descriptions. When I had the Petrel 8x32 and the Toucan 8x42 for several days and compared them, the Petrel was the only one so far, where the underside was actually labeled "Made in Japan".

It is the same with DDoptics in Germany. They say they "collaborate" closely with a Japanese manufacturer. But it is known that their cheaper models are made in China, probably by the Japanese owned factory there.

Nothing wrong with that!
It´s just that they want to hide it - same maybe with Kite.

Last edited:
Florian and Chris,
The only thing I know is that the Monarch, the Lynx and the Conquests are produced by Kamakura Koki , but I do not know whether they are produced in their Japanese or in their Chinese factory. If the quality control is the same for both factories it should not matter. The wages are in China much lower as far as I know, so that will affect the price of the instruments.
Gijs

Lee,
European law demands that an instrument can only be reported as being made in Europe when it is made functional in Europe. That means for the Conquests that it is made completely ready in Japan,including the application of the specific Zeiss coatings, except for the placement of the eyecups, since it is not functional without the eyecups. In Wetzlar, Germany the eycups are put in place and that allows Zeiss to sell the Conquests as being made in Germany. It is that simple.
Gijs

Gijs

But my understanding is that US import laws regarding country of origin are more strict than European. So the fitting of the eyecups might make the bins 'made in Germany' as far as selling them within the European Union might be concerned, but as I understand it they could not then be called 'made in Germany' when imported into the USA.

Perhaps Mike Jensen could confirm this interpretation or put me right if I am mistaken.

Lee

I've been reviewing the Kite Lynx HD since late December, and have to say that they've done a superb job.

I've been very impressed with its all-round performance, not just for an 8x30 binocular, but for a mid-size binocular in general. It produces and excellent, detailed, high-contrast view, with a very large central sweetspot and a huge field of view. When you look through the Lynx HD you get that elusive feeling of immersion in the scene. Instead of just bringing the view closer, you feel as if you're there, in the middle of things. It's a quality few bins achieve.

It's exceptionally bright, given the comparatively small objective lens, and delivers excellent low light performance -- much better than I was expecting. Colours to me appear spot on, with no apparent colour cast, and there's no sign of chromatic aberration in normal use, and it's very difficult to induce even when you're trying.

The only real negative optically is that in some high contrast conditions with overcast skies, or low directional sunlight, there was some reflection on the upper edge of the field of view -- but it is only occasional, and moving the binoculars slightly all but eliminated it -- so it could be something to do with eye-relief and my eyes.

I also loved the ergonomics. The Lynx HD is an absolute joy to carry and use in the field.

The only other niggles are really minor ones. The twist-up eyecups are really comfortable, but it would be better if they "clicked" into position and offered multiple "stops". As it is they occasionally move when you're carrying the bins around, which can be awkward if you want to get on a bird quickly. A locking dioptre adjustment would also be a nice touch -- although I never had an issue with the setting changing at all.

All told this is an outstanding little binocular -- ideal for travel or anyone looking for something lightweight and convenient that doesn't compromise much, if anything, in terms of image quality and performance.

Bottom line: I sometimes grab the Lynx HD instead of my Swaro SLC HD when heading off for a tramp around patch -- they're that good.

You'll find a full review of the Lynx HD on the Ireland's Wildlife site -- I won't link to it here, as I've been warned by admins re. linking to my own site -- but it's easy to find if you want to read it.

Here's some news. Kite lists Eagle Optics as a US dealer. No Kites on the EO site but maybe soon??

This Lynx does indeed sound really nice. I hope we get them stateside.

Nice review, Calvin! Thanks for that. I'm thoroughly enjoying the Meopta S2 scope and your review had something to do with my decision. Oh, and the link in your signature works just fine. ;)

Mark

Further findings of the comparison between the Kite Lynx HD 8x30 and Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 I´ll post in this thread http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=271587.

Since we've decided to take the brand Kite in our assortiment, I've spoken to the owner and asked him on the subject.

DDoptics does Kite for Germany under DDoptics label. The Kite Lynx is made by Kamakura in Japan in coöperation (because of the production volume) with Nikon, only the Lynx is more "luxuary".

Indeed, a hell of a bin!!

Jan

Hi Florian,

there is only the product number on the underside of the Lynx HD, no "Made in . . . " .
Also on the package it doesn´t give any information.

I just checked Kite´s website again. Except for the Petrel, where they say: "100% manufactured in Japan", no information is given in the model´s descriptions. When I had the Petrel 8x32 and the Toucan 8x42 for several days and compared them, the Petrel was the only one so far, where the underside was actually labeled "Made in Japan".

It is the same with DDoptics in Germany. They say they "collaborate" closely with a Japanese manufacturer. But it is known that their cheaper models are made in China, probably by the Japanese owned factory there.

Nothing wrong with that!
It´s just that they want to hide it - same maybe with Kite.

The Toucan is made by a small, but high level, independend Chinese manufacturer.

Jan

This binoc really caught my eye lately.

I placed it in a cart on Amazon.uk and then turned on the Amazon currency converter, and for us US folks, it will run about $845 in USD with shipping...

Ouch...BUT if the reviews are correct this would easily compete with Conquest HDs and easily beat Companion CLs...

Food for thought...

Maybe Eagle Optics will start stocking them-as stated they are listed as a dealer...

They're not, and it doesn't. This is just a high priced clone of the NM7 ; £200 more for virtually the same ... I don't buy it !

I'm just wondering but if you've not tried it, how can you claim it does not rival the Conquest HD and that the reviews are not accurate? All hands-on reports of this binocular are glowing and it seems to come highly recommended by people with experience using a lot of high-quality optics.

Samandag, post 36,
From your verdict about the Kite Lynx 8x30HD I understand that you have done solid research about its qualities in comparison with the Nikon M7 8x30. Can you please inform us in detail what differences you found, since that is important for this forum.
Gijs

Parts made in ..., assembled in ...
No that would make sense and maybe reduce transporting goods per truck through the whole of europe several times.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back