• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (4 Viewers)

River Rea last week, first light the female Dipper turned up a few times with the male.
Sunday they sat near each other on the ramp by the Bourn Brook. The male got the female to move and she was on a rock in the water.
This lasted for an hour until they then chased off down river. I walked down to look for them but no sight.
I then checked for a Kingfisher which flew past, I came back and checked on the Dippers and the female was back again.
She then flew up the Bourn Brook.
I walked along the Bourn Brook and saw the Kingfisher again.
There are 2 Kingfishers along the Bourn Brook. An adult male and juvenile male.
They chase up the brook.
The juvenile calls and I can hear it's not an adult. Good to hear it.
Seen a pale Buzzard a few times. Starlings gather with approx 100 being the most I've seen along the wire.

In November on the River Rea at first light the male Dipper would mostly appear. Several times the female turned up.
Yesterday / Saturday she turned up alone to sing. She then flew up the Bourn Brook but must have bumped into the male as they were then flying along the River Rea.
Last weekend there had been reports of a Rea Kingfisher (maybe 2). I got lucky and found a Kingfisher just up the Bourn Brook.
Along the Bourn Brook there still appears to be 2 Kingfisher, an adult male and juvenile. In November out for a run, I saw the juv dive and catch a fish.
The morning of the snow, last Saturday 27th Nov, the juv Kingfisher flew from the Stonehouse brook with a L.Egret.
In November, I saw four L.Egrets fly in early morning. The juv Kingfisher would also fly in.
(Also got a photo of what looks like a juv Female Kingfisher, it would be good if there were 3 Kingfisher along this stretch)
This morning (Sunday), the singing Dipper was on the Rea and flew up the Bourn Brook.
Bumped into Kate and she heard and saw the Dipper, singing half way up the Bourn Brook (U). I got a photo.
There were November reports of the Dippers along the Bourn Brook as far as the old res meanders and the back of the Uni, where I also saw it.
On our way back the Kingfisher was at the valley. The pale Buzzard seems a regular along this stretch.
Kate saw Meadow Pipits mid Nov by the roundabout.

On Wednesday 22nd December, I saw what looked like a male Kingfisher at Babbs Mill NR on the River Cole adjacent to the very eastern edge of Babbs Mill Lake where the overflow pipe from the lake enters the Cole. It flew from tree to tree in the direction of Babbs Mill cottage.

On Wednesday 22nd December, I saw what looked like a male Kingfisher at Babbs Mill NR on the River Cole adjacent to the very eastern edge of Babbs Mill Lake where the overflow pipe from the lake enters the Cole. It flew from tree to tree in the direction of Babbs Mill cottage.
Good to hear CCM! I've seen a Babbs Mill report of a Kingfisher on twitter as well recently. When I've visited, I've seen one on the Cole behind & at the inlet.

Not seen any Dippers since Boxing Day.
Late 2021/2022 Kingfisher sightings;
2 Kingfishers on the Bourn Brook
2 Kingfishers on the Bourn
I saw a Kingfisher on Wychall Res
I saw a Kingfisher at Longbridge, River Rea
2 Kingfishers along the River Rea, Cannon Hill and Stirchley

Not seen any Dippers since Boxing Day.
Late 2021/2022 Kingfisher sightings;
2 Kingfishers on the Bourn Brook
2 Kingfishers on the Bourn
I saw a Kingfisher on Wychall Res
I saw a Kingfisher at Longbridge, River Rea
2 Kingfishers along the River Rea, Cannon Hill and Stirchley
A K/f today on the Bourn Brook by Eastern Rd sports field.

This week, 3 River Rea Kingfishers at the now usual territories.
Kingfisher along the Bourn Brook (U) but seen less often. Not seen one along the old res stretch for a few weeks.

Same day as my last post, later in the day a Kingfisher was back along the Bourn Brook (U). I said I hadn't seen one along the old res & the next day one was at the blue bridge. I'd not seen one there for a month.
Last weekend, now I know where the Kingfisher go. A Kingfisher flew out from Edgbaston pool direction & up the Bourn Brook.
Kingfisher regularly along the River Rea (CH). Usually back the day after the rain & storms. KN Rea was brown water for longer after the rain.

A few Kingfisher surprises this week;
My first Kingfisher on the Illey Brook. Not sure I've seen a record of that before.
A new female Kingfisher on my usual River Rea stretch & it was in the same place as the usual male.
An almost dusk, calling Kingfisher up the Bourn Brook Thursday when I'd not seen one there for a couple weeks & the regular has a younger call & usually by the uni.
Kingfisher along the Rea at the usual spots.

A new Kingfisher spot & I thought there would be.
Heard a Kingfisher calling its mate on the Belne Brook or some fishing lakes. Worcs.
Usual Kingfisher along the River Rea with what seems to be the same timing as last year.
3 usual territories though not 100% about the middle one.
Then I think a surprise 4th territory. Not had Kingfisher there this time of year for a few years.

Bank holiday Monday, right time, right place for the 4th pair of River Rea Kingfishers to fly in early & continue digging a nest hole. Not sure they will use it as it might be too close to the footpath. I'll keep checking, good to see a 4th pair.

River Rea Kingfisher; the 4th pair don't seem to have remained. Thought it was too exposed & near the footpath. I found one back on the usual stretch. I'm not so sure of the 3rd pair now. I saw one & not much other activity. I will have to check further along. 1st & 2nd pairs ok. Good views of a Peregrine eating a pigeon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back