• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

King Of The County (1 Viewer)

mark ridsdale

KING OF THE COUNTY Ive mentioned this to a few local birders and am still curious are there any Tyne and wear(only) county listers.I know thenormal is Durham and Northumberland.As far as im aware only Ray Duell and myself do.It start because we were young and didnt have the transport and mostly birded within the county anyway but its a great challenge since some common birds for Durham/N'thumberland are quite rare in TW(my last tick being Marsh Tit)
My TW List stands at 249,my Northumberland list is 260(still got no real transport) dont know what my Durham list is.Do birders keep Cleveland lists or is it Durham or Yorkshire?
Who are the Kings of their County?

Interesting point Mark. A non-driver meself I've never found it easy to get far, when I started birding about 8 years back I lived on wearside with Whitburn being the area I frequented most. Now in the Derwent valley I just love my local patch and don't venture outside much. My county list currently stands at 212 but it consists only of birds seen in wearside, sth tyneside and gateshead. Furthest south I ventured was for Great Grey Shrike at Dawdon blast beach a couple of years back.
I've never bothered with the 'Cleveland' areas of county durham, and neither do I count birds seen north of the Tyne though I've seen some good'uns there (Took me 3 and a half hours to get to Whitley Bay for the Rough-legged Buzzard last winter thanks to public transport and an acute lack of sense of direction)
Will have to have a look at the boundaries, might be worth doing tyne and wear but don't want to lose me Shrike.

Hi Mark

Listing very popular in Cleveland, see Teesmouth BC web site:-
http://www25.brinkster.com/teesmouthbc/default.asp?id=1&mnu=1

Vast majority of Durham birders go by the old vice County, and include North Tees areas, Gateshead Borough & South Tyneside etc

Who are the Kings of their County?
Golly, Dolly & Teddy.................... Handbags at dawn i fear if we open this can of worms up; i certainly wouldnt want to rock the boat in case a wheel falls off ;-)
A Durham Yearlister is on 240 -odd for this year with many missed.....

Might have to get pencil & paper out & go through a few old notebooks.... i live in T & W but have never thought about that list.

PS. did you get Little Owl ?
Steve.

StevieEvans said:
Hi Mark

Listing very popular in Cleveland, see Teesmouth BC web site:-
http://www25.brinkster.com/teesmouthbc/default.asp?id=1&mnu=1

Vast majority of Durham birders go by the old vice County, and include North Tees areas, Gateshead Borough & South Tyneside etc

Golly, Dolly & Teddy.................... Handbags at dawn i fear if we open this can of worms up; i certainly wouldnt want to rock the boat in case a wheel falls off ;-)
A Durham Yearlister is on 240 -odd for this year with many missed.....

Might have to get pencil & paper out & go through a few old notebooks.... i live in T & W but have never thought about that list.

PS. did you get Little Owl ?
Steve.
Did have a quick check for the Little owl when i went over for the Greenish warbler but ran out of time.Which is the best corner to look you mentoined white washed rocks or am i thinking of something else?

LO - northern most part of Trow Quarry.
Couple of regular perches, more often than not its in the Rown type tree, you'll see ll the whitewash from 100m away.
SE

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back