• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kinabalu National Park (1 Viewer)

Kate_hugs

Viêt Nam
Hi all, just a quick one! Visiting kinabalu Park next week, would rubber boots be advisable or would normal walking boots be OK? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Just for the future, Kinabalu can get very, heavy rain.

We were lucky in 2000 when we climbed to the top but in the week previous, we had a lot of rain.

Was there in July several years ago--regular hiking shoes were fine. But trails can be slippery, but not mucky.

Hi, Kate,

I've only ever worn my hiking sandals there.
Boots in the tropics? Almost never.
No leeches there that I recall. No problems with anything else.
Wonderful place.
There are definitely leeches there.

And the trails can turn into small streams if you go hiking in the rain. They can get VERY slippery and very muddy. Good footwear is critical.

There are definitely leeches there.

And the trails can turn into small streams if you go hiking in the rain. They can get VERY slippery and very muddy. Good footwear is critical.
No one in our group was bitten by a leech over several days. But I don't doubt there are some there at lower elevations. Don't recall any significant mud. But almost any place can be muddy if you hike during heavy rain. We never had to.

Last edited:
No one in our group was bitten by a leech over several days. But I don't doubt there are some there at lower elevations. Don't recall any significant mud. But almost any place can be muddy if you hike during heavy rain. We never had to.
I did, despite our tour guide saying that "sometimes the rain is so heavy you can't go birding". Right after that we went into the forest during a tropical downpour. I wound up double-spraining my knee in a "stream bed" and had to be carried off the mountain on a stretcher. When I got to the ER, a huge leech (engorged on my blood) fell off my knee.

We had no rain at all on our visit in the end but there were still some slightly muddy parts of some paths. My normal hiking boots were absolutely fine. Didn't see any leeches but as I said it was pretty dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back