• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kestrel = Soulor France today (1 Viewer)

rosbifs

PutAin STOP
Ukraine
Been out of practice but managed some birding today on the Soulor

This fellow caught the eye with some question of Lesser. Any thoughts - managed some cropped photos...

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_233.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_233.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 52
  • fullsizeoutput_238.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_238.jpeg
    33.2 KB · Views: 46
  • fullsizeoutput_23a.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_23a.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 51
  • fullsizeoutput_234.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_234.jpeg
    24.9 KB · Views: 57
  • fullsizeoutput_235.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_235.jpeg
    33.2 KB · Views: 57
Kestrel. Female/immature, thus I wouldn't expect to be able to (and can't) distinguish it from lesser kestrel in photos of this quality.

I hoping there a couple on here who can.... Despite the crap photos is there enough in the wing formula and also pattern coupled with lighter patch behind the moustache?

Out of interest a 2nd year male has been present for a few days just off the back of the col... I saw one last visit that when it was flying towards me gave almost a Peregrine type flight...

Do you think that fits lesser kestrel? Seems OK for regular kestrel to me (pic no. 4): p10 obviously shorter than p9 and approx equal to p7.
Clearly I did or I wouldn't be asking the question

I struggle with wing formulas sorry

Anyway I didn't see 7 was clearly longer than 10, 10 being equal to 8 etc etc blah blah blah

thank you both for your help

Do you think that fits lesser kestrel?
Clearly I did or I wouldn't be asking the question
I asked in order that I and others could better understand exactly why you thought it might be lesser kestrel so that we could help you in a way that would be most useful to you.

I didn't see 7 was clearly longer than 10, 10 being equal to 8 etc etc blah blah blah
Not what I said, but never mind...

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back