• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenya Trip (8th November - 16th November) Any interested? (1 Viewer)

498 Ramblin Alex

England
Hi everyone. Looking to set up a custom trip to Kenya starting and finishing in Nairobi.

Route something like:

• Lake Naivasha
  • Lake Nakuru
  • Lake Baringo
  • Kakamega Forest
  • Homa Bay/Ruma National Park
  • Masai Mara

If that is too much time on the road for 9 days we can make alterations.

Let me know if interested. 4 max people.

Alex.

Hi everyone. Looking to set up a custom trip to Kenya starting and finishing in Nairobi.

Route something like:

• Lake Naivasha
  • Lake Nakuru
  • Lake Baringo
  • Kakamega Forest
  • Homa Bay/Ruma National Park
  • Masai Mara

If that is too much time on the road for 9 days we can make alterations.

Let me know if interested. 4 max people.

Alex.
I'd say personally that that's a 14 day itinerary. I haven't done a lot of research but the range of bird species across most of you destinations, would be similar if not the same, I'd include more forest sites?

Last edited:
Yeah, the more I think about on this itinerary Masai Mara might be skipped. Otherwise there is like 5 days with 4/5 hours on the road, not including game drive time.

I'm doing a similar trip next week with most of these places in the itinerary and looking at the travel time, I'd say you might want to cut down the number of target spots and focus on getting more of the sites you will visit, especially if you are doing it solo instead of with a guide.

Kakamega deserves at least 2 full days to make the best of all the targets within the forest and maybe giving a chance of Mt. Kenya will give you some montane forest species.

Well it's ambitious but it's not too different to what we did - noon hours are pointless so why not drive :) The main problem I see is that Homa to Mara is a really long trip - it's not far, but the roads are that bad.

I'd suggest doing something near Kakamega instead - Elgon and Saiwa Swamp were the two best birding places in this half of Kenya on our trip.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back