• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

kenya info (2 Viewers)

jdbirdman

John Dempsey (jdbirdman)
Has anyone self driven from Mombassa to Tsavo east or has any info regarding self car hire road conditions time scales?
cheers
john

hi john

I was out there last year. Went to Tsavo, about 5 - 6 hrs driving. The roads are exciting to say the least and everyone seems to use the middle of the road. Most of the lorries appear to be overloaded and I would say 50% of them do not even have all their body panels. Also the police have a habit of setting up random road blocks, and according to our information it was mostly round blind bends ( we only saw two on this route but they were indeed round blind bends)

When you planning to go ??
We are in the planning stages for another trip likley to be in 2006

Hope this helps

There is a very interesting road going from Malindi to Tsavo East. Pretty hard driving, and no gas stations, but good birds (and you can take in Arube Sokoke on the way).

Thanks frosty
Was that driving from Mombassa or Niarobi? I'm there for three weeks in August. Not the ideal time as palearctic migrants and some intra-African migrants will be absent but I'm stuck with those dates. Did you do a trip report? when did you go? What did you think of east Tsavo?
cheers
John

Hanno said:
There is a very interesting road going from Malindi to Tsavo East. Pretty hard driving, and no gas stations, but good birds (and you can take in Arube Sokoke on the way).
Cheers Hanno
interesting i what way? Yes i intend to take in Sokoke forest for Sokoke scops Owl and Sokoke pipit
Also Mida creek for Crab Plover what was your experiences at the forest did you manage the owl?
cheers John

I assume you know about David Ngulia and his colleagues who can guide you at Sokoke? He would almost guarantee seeing the owl - he has been finding it regularly for 20 years!

All I can say about the roads is I would not want to drive them!! Especially at night. And don't stop for anyone except police.

Steve

Go with David, he usually knows where the Owls are, right down to the tree.

Do not, if you can avoid it, drive at night. Apart from the natural dangers (animals on the road), bandits frequently set up road blocks, and I am not talking about the police:))) Also, national parks won't let you in once it is dark.

I found the backroad interesting, as it is little traveled, making for some good birding. It is kind of rough in palces, especially if it rains, making a 4WD a must.

Steve Lister said:
I assume you know about David Ngulia and his colleagues who can guide you at Sokoke? He would almost guarantee seeing the owl - he has been finding it regularly for 20 years!

All I can say about the roads is I would not want to drive them!! Especially at night. And don't stop for anyone except police.

Steve
Thanks steve
Yes I hear he is good and I will be corresponding with spinetail safari'sI assume this is the same David!
regards
John

Hanno said:
Go with David, he usually knows where the Owls are, right down to the tree.

Do not, if you can avoid it, drive at night. Apart from the natural dangers (animals on the road), bandits frequently set up road blocks, and I am not talking about the police:))) Also, national parks won't let you in once it is dark.

I found the backroad interesting, as it is little traveled, making for some good birding. It is kind of rough in palces, especially if it rains, making a 4WD a must.
Ok thanks for the info Hanno
regards
John

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back