• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kensington Tawny Owls please (1 Viewer)

Baron Birder

I am up in town tomorrow and would like to see the Tawny Owls in Kensington Gardens. If it is permitted can someone give me an idea whereabouts I should be looking?

Thanks

I am up in town tomorrow and would like to see the Tawny Owls in Kensington Gardens. If it is permitted can someone give me an idea whereabouts I should be looking?

Thanks

Sure thing.

Enter Kensington Gardens via Lancaster Gate the turn right onto the North Flower Walk til it meets a path running south (with a monument that looks like a small Cleopatra's Needle), this is Lancaster Walk. Follow this south until you reach the second bin/bench on your right hand side (you should see a statue of a big bloke on a horse at the end of this path but no need to go that far).

Now, face said bin/bench and you'll see a bunch of leafless horse chestnuts in front of you.

The owls (both adults and three owlets) are in these trees, the youngsters often quite high up and the adults usually against tree trunks.

Usual scenario is both adults are perched in different trees, with the young all together in a third.

Showed superbly today, all wide awake.

Alternatively I could meet you on site c13:00hrs (I'll be there anyways as it's my patch) and lead you to them.

Hope this helps.

Hi London Birder

Many thanks for the prompt reply and email. 1pm is about when we , there will probably be three of us, should be there coming from Beckenham. So if you see us please do introduce yourself and point us where we should be if we arent already on the spot. Will pm you with my mobile number

Cheers
BB

Not a problem, have responded privately.

There's also a nice summer-plumaged adult Mediterranean Gull on the Round Pond at the mo if you have time to take that in, though it's likely to depart any day now.

Best of luck.

A shameless plug for my blog - it contains rubbish pictures of the owls. (Just in case you miss them ;)).

More shameless pictures of them a week on from the last lot on my blog.

Shameless!

Attachments

• e7.jpg
    e7.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 141
Thanks for the info Des, I found them today using your excellent directions and what a cracking bunch they are! The little'uns I spotted pretty quickly, the adults were a bit tricky but I managed to track down both eventually.

Owlet paintings coming up I think!

Mike

Any idea if they're still there?

Hi Stoggler,

Had a look today but the leaf growth has come on enormously and consequently no show.

They are undoubtedly still in situ though so I'll post here if I get any further sightings.

If not there's usually an adult viewable at day-roost during the autumn/winter and you can bet there'll be more young on show early spring 2010.

Nice male Garganey on nearby Serpentine today however.

Hi Stoggler,

Had a look today but the leaf growth has come on enormously and consequently no show.

They are undoubtedly still in situ though so I'll post here if I get any further sightings.

If not there's usually an adult viewable at day-roost during the autumn/winter and you can bet there'll be more young on show early spring 2010.

Nice male Garganey on nearby Serpentine today however.

Thanks Des

I shall look out for them when I'm down that way.

Regards

Hi Cliff

I popped up to the park after leaving work yesterday but saw no sign of any Tawny Owls. Will try again later in the week.

Martin

Last edited:
Hi Cliff

From London Bird Club Wiki yesterday:

Kensington Gardens: both ad Tawny Owl and all 4 owlets showing well

Martin

Popped up to the park this lunchtime and both ad Tawny Owl and all 4 owlets showing really well, viewable from the path.

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back